Any walkers here?

Options

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with an eating disorder myself. Namely EDNOS. It can be tough, but recovery is definitely worth it. The main problem I have with exercise is reminding myself not to do it too excessively. I've pretty much gotten the hang of that. Just listening to my body. This goes for walking, too. If I ever wake up and think I don't think I want to walk today, then I don't walk.

I'm a walker. I do resistance training and cardio, too, but I mostly walk. I don't drive - never learned how to, and really have no desire to. It's not that I'm afraid to, I just... really don't have the drive to learn to (pun intended ;) ). So, I walk. I walk to school, I walk to the store, I walk to my sister's house. If I need to go grocery shopping, I just pay someone gas money to take me.. or I just don't go overboard. I have found that my legs have gotten far more toned than they were before I was sedentary. I had a lot of hanging areas. I'm not sure I'd exactly call it 'loose skin', but it was rather unattractive, regardless. I got them from drastic weight loss (see the ednos mentioned up there). I never intended to lose them. I had actually come to terms with having them. I'd do say, leg raises on the floor and see the areas just hanging, and I'd accepted them. And then one day, I noticed that area was firmer and even toned. This is, largely, thanks to walking as I don't do leg exercises often.

For people that have struggled with EDs and body image, I usually suggest avoiding the scale. It can trigger for many of us. The best thing to measure your successes by, in our case, is health. If you feel healthy, then you're probably going forward, not backward.

Good luck in your goals. I wish you all the best. :flowerforyou:
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    Nearly every day this summer I've been trying to go for one walk per day. I've been losing weight but I also work out at a gym as well so I don't know if that's what lead to the weight loss.

However, walking, to me, is a very peaceful and inward experience and is just as relaxing for me as yoga. I'm recovering from an eating disorder as well and since I tend to thrive better in recovery in the summer rather than the winter when I take no walks, I wonder if it's related somehow to a better mindset.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Do any of you who walk use a counter?? I have one but it doesnt sync up so I am looking for one that shows the steps and I can down load info on. Any hints??

Not often. Occasionally, I use my 3DS as it has a pedometer built in. I find that most of the apps I've tried get the count wrong (many of them will even count when you're in a car or on a bus). But seeing how many steps you've taken can be motivating. The 3DS only counts when I'm walking, and seeing I've taken 'so and so' steps sometimes motivates me.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Oh, re: the scale, don't jump on it until you're ready :) I definitely wasn't ready until I built up a bit of a head of steam, and to be honest so many people don't even bother with a scale, being happy to use other methods like checking their clothes/ pictures/ measurements every so often to keep an eye on progress.
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    nope still living
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hi Y'all! I am a walker here doing an hour everyday now for almost two week and scared to look at the scale in case I don't see any numbers go down but my body is getting more toned. I have no problem eating healthier but it takes more motivation to excercise! I weigh at 154 couple weeks ago at 5'8. Want to be 125. I have self image issues and in the past I struggled with bulima. I was very skinny last year but been through some stressful times and turned to food :-( I am new to this website and ready to be healthy :-D

Hey! I'm a walker too. I consider myself a wogger. LOL (walker/jogger) Even if you don't see the numbers on the scale going down you are getting toned, so I guess that would equate to inches being shed, so, YAY!! It's good that you eat healthier, I struggle with that, as I'm an emotional eater, something I am getting better at daily. The weight your at now is actually my goal weight, as I am 5'8" as well (I'm at 288 now my highest was 337). It definitely takes motivation to exercise. I prefer not to take rest days unless I REALLY need it so that I can keep the momentum going. :D I also have self image issues. I try really hard to see my progress and notice so I'm a weigher and an inch taker so that I can really stare at myself in the mirror and say, Ok, I do see it here or there or where ever, I don't care as long as the numbers continue to decrease, I'm good. So I can relate to you with that. Welcome to MFP. Would love to connect if you would like. Good luck to you!
  • chickwithpencil
    chickwithpencil Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog (sometimes, this turns into a run because we live in a rural area and when he sees a deer or rabbits, he takes off after them. Heh;) while playing Zombies, run. The two together keep me motivated (the dog more than Zombies, run, tbh. All he has to do is look at me with those big brown eyes and I'm like "okay, okay, let me get your harness!" LOL!) I haven't lost a lot of weight - about 10-14 pounds in about three months - but I've started building some nice muscle in my legs and my pants are a lot looser now. :)
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Walking is not the greatest for weight loss, but it has really helped me not gain, especially when I add in some jogging and some other dance/pilates stuff. Endurance gains have been the best. One thing that has helped has been a thread where we report our mileage each couple of days towards reaching a real-world place virtually through our accumulated mileage. Pick a historic walk or a long hike you would love to take as a tourist.

^^ that's a great idea ,I walk a lot myself and think I'm going to look at the mileage on the great wall of china lol
  • ifeelpretty21
    ifeelpretty21 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I walk for thirty minutes three days a week. Also, days I can't walk outside I use Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds dvd. Keep up the good work! :)
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I use Pacer. It counts my steps on my iPhone and syncs with myfitnesspal. I used to use a pedometer, but found it easier just to use the app.

I have downloaded and installed Pacer. I might take a walk today to see how it works. THX
  • yanick356
    yanick356 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Weird but I am beginning to think/feel that I am getting fatter jogging!? Most days 30 min, twice some days which makes me fatter. "chronic cardio," some call it. So I have been walking more; 1.5 hours a day getting better results so far. I am either going to walk or sprint from now on.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Weird but I am beginning to think/feel that I am getting fatter jogging!? Most days 30 min, twice some days which makes me fatter. "chronic cardio," some call it. So I have been walking more; 1.5 hours a day getting better results so far. I am either going to walk or sprint from now on.

Jogging does not make you fatter unless you are taking pie breaks on route, running twice at 30 mins will burn way more calories than a 1.5 hours walk
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Someone say, "walker"....

Sophia-chaser-zombie-760.jpg
  • sarahkeedwell
    sarahkeedwell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thanks hun...you do the same and congrats on your progress! I know progress won't happen overnight and reminds me that I need to just be healthy and not obsess so much :-D
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi Y'all! I am a walker here doing an hour everyday now for almost two week and scared to look at the scale in case I don't see any numbers go down but my body is getting more toned. I have no problem eating healthier but it takes more motivation to excercise! I weigh at 154 couple weeks ago at 5'8. Want to be 125. I have self image issues and in the past I struggled with bulima. I was very skinny last year but been through some stressful times and turned to food :-( I am new to this website and ready to be healthy :-D

Hey! I'm a walker too. I consider myself a wogger. LOL (walker/jogger) Even if you don't see the numbers on the scale going down you are getting toned, so I guess that would equate to inches being shed, so, YAY!! It's good that you eat healthier, I struggle with that, as I'm an emotional eater, something I am getting better at daily. The weight your at now is actually my goal weight, as I am 5'8" as well (I'm at 288 now my highest was 337). It definitely takes motivation to exercise. I prefer not to take rest days unless I REALLY need it so that I can keep the momentum going. :D I also have self image issues. I try really hard to see my progress and notice so I'm a weigher and an inch taker so that I can really stare at myself in the mirror and say, Ok, I do see it here or there or where ever, I don't care as long as the numbers continue to decrease, I'm good. So I can relate to you with that. Welcome to MFP. Would love to connect if you would like. Good luck to you!

whilst i understand you made the word up, its definately not allowed in either british english or australian! just a heads up.see urban dictionary or similar to see why.

on topic i fast walk and jintermittently jog on the treadmill daily, the goal being to actual run for more than 5 minutes.
    i find it great exrcise combined with swimming.
    enjoy
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker, too. I try to do a mile and a half a day (about 30 minutes) when the weather is good (above freezing and not percipitating). It doesn't burn a ton of calories (about 90 for someone my age and size), but it is some activity that I can do if I can't go to the gym. Also, I'm in New England, and being outside every day gives me my Vitamin D. It doesn't make that much difference as far as fitness levels for me, but my husband is sedentary with a desk job, and he always loses when the weather improves and we can walk together.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Someone say, "walker"....

Sophia-chaser-zombie-760.jpg

FIFY.
    8Ogpirz.png
  • JordanMK_
    JordanMK_ Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey good job in what you're doing ! Well just keep walking and watch what you eat and everltually you'll lose weight. Walking is not only good for your physical health but also for your mental health. Don't look at all this as a diet but as a change of lifestyle. I can only wish you good luck with whatever you're doing!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am a power walker and I do on average 6 miles daily. My weight loss is due to walking and a change in my eating habits. I have not been fitter or stronger in years. I am 53 yrs old. I burn on average 400 calories daily just from walking. I use Runkeeper and it keeps my pace, miles, MPH, calories and routes. I went from a size 14 to size 6 in 5 months. My OW was 132.9 and my CW is 112. My walks are about 1 hr 45 min.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I am a power walker and I do on average 6 miles daily. My weight loss is due to walking and a change in my eating habits. I have not been fitter or stronger in years. I am 53 yrs old. I burn on average 400 calories daily just from walking. I use Runkeeper and it keeps my pace, miles, MPH, calories and routes. I went from a size 14 to size 6 in 5 months. My OW was 132.9 and my CW is 112. My walks are about 1 hr 45 min.

Wow, that's amazing progress just from walking!