Just before bed...

Options
just wondering if there is anything to the theory of having a snack just before going to bed, I mean carrot sticks or something else healthy that would keep the metabolism working during the night... Anyone have any thoughts on this???

Replies

• WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    just wondering if there is anything to the theory of having a snack just before going to bed, I mean carrot sticks or something else healthy that would keep the metabolism working during the night... Anyone have any thoughts on this???

No I think it's not such a bad idea, I just personally like to not eat anything else after 7pm because I know my body but I'm curious about other responses on this so....<<<BUMP>>>
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Going to bed hungry is not too good of an idea; it could lead to bingeing the next morning or interrupted sleep. If you get hungry at night, eat! planning ahead will make it easier to leave some extra calories for nighttime. I know that i usually need some calories left after dinner b.c most of the time i want a late evening snack. My other advice is to watch the sugar content on late-night snacks. Both sugar and caffeine can reduce the quality of your sleep!
  • okfine
    Options
    My thoughts are just that I eat my biggest meals at breakfast and lunch, and eat lighter at night. If I have a snack it's just light. As long as what I eat fits within my calorie goal, I don't worry about it too much. According to the nutrition class I went to, and when I talked with my doctor, your metabolism is just the same pretty much all the time, other than when you exercise, unless you are dead...Point is, your metabolism always is working, burning. What matters is whatever you eat, YOU feel good, that it works for YOU. Everyone is different. I like some sort of beverage before I sleep, but that's just because it's soothing to me.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are just that I eat my biggest meals at breakfast and lunch, and eat lighter at night. If I have a snack it's just light. As long as what I eat fits within my calorie goal, I don't worry about it too much. According to the nutrition class I went to, and when I talked with my doctor, your metabolism is just the same pretty much all the time, other than when you exercise, unless you are dead...Point is, your metabolism always is working, burning. What matters is whatever you eat, YOU feel good, that it works for YOU. Everyone is different. I like some sort of beverage before I sleep, but that's just because it's soothing to me.

I agree with you, my doctor told me that as long as you stay within your daily calorie intake you'll be okay.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    my trainer always says to have a small bowl of cereal before bed if I want to eat something ... I usually have special k original or corn flakes ...
  • jpier4
    jpier4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority here. I feel that you shouldn't eat 3 hours prior to sleep, however, if you must....make it something high in protein.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    i have a friend who always served her and her sons ice cream before bed. They were all thin.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i have a friend who always served her and her sons ice cream before bed. They were all thin.

The thing is, everyone is different. Plenty of people who are thin live on diets that are really high in fat and calories. However, being thin does NOT mean that you are eating habits are HEALTHY. depending on how you eat throughout the day, you could enjoy a desert every night AND keep a healthy diet. there's a lot of factors that go into it.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Cortisol levels rise after about 4 hours of not eating, usually this is during sleep as that is when most people fast the longest. Cortisol actually tells the body to break down muscle to replace glycogen stores and store abdominal fat, which is the opposite of what we really want to do, especially people who are trying to build muscle. We need to replace the glycogen stores to stay alive (The brain only functions on glycose/glycogen.) but we don't need to break down muscle to do it and abdominal fat has been proven to be the worst for heart disease. My nutrition professors actually recommend getting out of bed in the middle of the night and eating a mix of carbs and protein to stop this process if you are trying to build muscle. Personally, I lose fat better by having a late night bowl of ice cream because it has that mix of carbs, protein, and fat to fuel my needs without raising my cortisol levels. While it doesn't necessarily show in my 100+ days on here, the 10 years of spiral notebooks that I've tracked my food in prior to finding this site show that I do better at maintaining a healthy body composition when I have a midnight snack. So, for me personally, I believe my professors in thinking that fasting is bad for my body in that I am prone to the increased cortisol levels if I don't eat for more then 4-5 hours.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I eat up until bed but I don't eat a load of crap so I'm not worried about it affecting me in anyway. I munch on almonds or carrots or a bowl of frozen fruit or a bowl of cereal. I don't eat a large meal before bed generally though.