Protein Bars or Shakes - Not trying to bulk up

Options
2»

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Thank you both.

I am buying in local supermarket. Horley's is reasonably low cals I reckon so it's not causing a dent in my intake for the day.

"As long as you avoid the "mass gainer" type products" - which are these?

I'll have a look at the website you have suggested in interim.

Look for something with a high 80% and above protein content and lower carb content. The products designed for bulking will usually have more carbs. Make sure you read the nutrition labels re: protein content as some products may be markented at specific groups (e.g. men or people looking to gain mass) but are usually suitable for women or people just looking to supplement protein as well. I would say steer clear of products marketed towards women or anything marketed as a meal replacement as you'll pay a premium for these types of products. Buying in bulk is the best value.

I get my protein here http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/ but I don't think they ship to NZ.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    honestly, protein bars and shakes are not necessary if you are eating properly.

its a huge industry that makes people think it is needed.

protein supplements are rarely needed by healthy people.

usually protein supplements are high in calories and will not keep you full

they will not help anyone build muscle (i know you said you dont want to, just saying)

if you like the bars and shakes that is great, but you dont need them.

Though you are right that if you are getting enough in your diet it is a waste of money. But as she clearly stated, she struggles to get enough protein which is what the point of protein powder, to help boost your intake without adding a lot of calories. Believe it or not some people need to bring in a lot of protein and it is really hard or costly to eat it from meats, fish nuts etc. For instance, I need nearly 200g of protein and find it very difficult and costly to eat enough meats eggs etc to hit that without going over my calories, so powder comes in handy.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options

they will not help anyone build muscle (i know you said you dont want to, just saying)

Though you are right that if you are getting enough in your diet it is a waste of money. But as she clearly stated, she struggles to get enough protein which is what the point of protein powder, to help boost your intake without adding a lot of calories. Believe it or not some people need to bring in a lot of protein and it is really hard or costly to eat it from meats, fish nuts etc. For instance, I need nearly 200g of protein and find it very difficult and costly to eat enough meats eggs etc to hit that without going over my calories, so powder comes in handy.

you guys are right... its late and i am sleep typing and probably didnt read the OP thouroghly. protein supplements have been on my mind lately because of some things i read in a textbook, and some research i did when thinking of them for my picky kid.

as a meal replacement it makes sense i suppose.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Most are not high in calories for the amount of protein you get. 80 grams of cooked chicken (or roughly half a medium-large chicken breast) has the same caloric breakdown as most of the protein powders I've used, and same amount of protein.

I also consider myself relatively healthy, and while I don't need protein powder, it is tremendously helpful. I mean, you try getting in 160+ grams of protein a day through just food. It can be done, I can easily do it if I want to on rest days where I'm less likely to want to consume protein powder, but it can be tedious to eat a few hundred grams of meat and poultry and fish in a day, along with yogurt or cottage cheese or regular cheese, to try and reach my protein minimum.

If you are not training/eating to preserve lean muscle mass or to put on muscle once out of a caloric deficit, then PP is not of much use. If protein is something you are very conscious about, the supplementing is an easy way to get in the protein without having to eat so many food sources. Which can get expensive, I can easily go through 10-20 dollar bags of chicken breast in a week or less, but my protein powder (if used once a day) could last a month if I buy the smaller tub. and if buying bulk, it's much cheaper.

Yes, protein supplements will help you build muscle if it means that it helps you reach your protein minimums and you are eating at a caloric surplus.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for all your input - helpful debates going on.

I am not looking to replace meals (love my grub) but just add protein coz I can never seem to hit my target macros. I am also of the understanding protein helps rebuild muscle etc.

When it comes to cost; yes the bars can be pricey at $4NZ a bar and given I work out a minimum 4 times a week... I'm most concerned with hitting macros target for the days I do work out. Rest days not so much and I try to get it from food but some foods have less protein and to get same mounts I need to eat more of them = increase in calories.
  • Redmoonstar
    Redmoonstar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have tried shakes and different bars and am now using Quest Protein Bars they have 20g of protein and depending on the flavour cals range from 160 to 190 per bar. These taste better than other bars I have tried and I order them from the USA and have them posted to Australia. I find them great for snacks and before exercising.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are great and SO delicious.

In terms of shakes, definitely avoid mass gainers. I take whey isolate as it in low in calories, fat and carbs and high in protein. Majority of manufacturers sell whey isolate. Some also sell 'diet/lean whey' which is low in cals/fat/carbs.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I have tried shakes and different bars and am now using Quest Protein Bars they have 20g of protein and depending on the flavour cals range from 160 to 190 per bar. These taste better than other bars I have tried and I order them from the USA and have them posted to Australia. I find them great for snacks and before exercising.

Quest are great and you can get them for a reasonable price from iherb
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are great and SO delicious.

In terms of shakes, definitely avoid mass gainers. I take whey isolate as it in low in calories, fat and carbs and high in protein. Majority of manufacturers sell whey isolate. Some also sell 'diet/lean whey' which is low in cals/fat/carbs.

Quest sounds like a winner and i have checked them out on iherb
    thanks a dozen