grocery shopping dilemma

Options
I struggle with buying things that will help my husband and I lose weight, but we also have 2 younger ones that we buy for. I struggle with having enough food and having enough healthy food in the house. I also struggle with meals because since they are young, they don't like the same foods we do. I am open for any suggestions.

Replies

• miniwheatxoxo
    Options
    Honestly, give your kids what you are eating. If they don't eat, fine. They wont starve. They WILL eat eventually. May not be dinner night number 1, but they will eat.

If you want to eat healthy, kids should to. You are the parent, if they don't eat what you serve-they wont eat. Healthy food isn't a "abnormal, gross, cant possibly give my kids food". Plus, it makes it easier on you that way.
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh or frozen vegetables. Brown rice, pasta and bread. Greek yogurt and fruit. Kids eat what you give them. When mine were babies I gave home cooked vegetables and meat puréed. They are not fussy and they do get treats like sweets etc but after they have eaten their main meals. Chicken is good and eggs. Try not to buy processed food and buy fresh. Good luck.
  • a941guy
    a941guy Posts: 31
    Options
    I had that same struggle and ultimately decided that...if they want to do the shopping, they can buy whatever they want. Since they're 6 and 9 and have a) no money and b) no transportation...they've learned to enjoy what has been prepared for them. I'm not a total scrooge, I'll buy em junk food n what not every now and then and it's that point that I not only have to control my own urges to not devour the junk food, but to also teach them that the box of cookies is a snack, not a meal.

They've been really good and choosing healthier snacks. fruit cups, veggie stuff, etc

Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Honestly, give your kids what you are eating. If they don't eat, fine. They wont starve. They WILL eat eventually. May not be dinner night number 1, but they will eat.

If you want to eat healthy, kids should to. You are the parent, if they don't eat what you serve-they wont eat. Healthy food isn't a "abnormal, gross, cant possibly give my kids food". Plus, it makes it easier on you that way.
    +1
  • bigheadmom
    bigheadmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to make something at every meal that my kids like. If I know they won't like a chicken marinade, I'll make theirs plain. They like creamed corn and mac & cheese. I really don't care for either, so it's no big deal for me to have those on the table. I just eat a bigger salad that night.
    I also buy them small bags of their favorite treats. That way they only eat a serving, and I won't grab a cookie or chip out of an open container that they leave on the table.
    I've been on my weight loss journey for about 2 months and it's getting easier. My kids are learning to like new foods and getting used to the house not being a junk food bonanza.

Hang in there, you'll figure it out.
  • Sienna555
    Sienna555 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Children's taste buds do not appreciate adult food; their growth and activity has them craving things that are higher in calories than what you need to lose weight. The problem is that they don't need that stuff either, they just want it.

Your job as Mom is to provide healthy food and adequate amounts of food for them. Your job is not to make it taste good, although if you're a good cook that is a bonus. They do learn to like the healthy stuff after a while.... if that is all they have as options when they are starving.

Okay, so they throw a fit, or give you the silent treatment, or drop it under the table, or generally make a scene over it....and if it works, they will try it every single time afterward. Children are little gamblers, and they will bet against your patience every time.

But in reality, It takes an exceptional child to outlast the parent at the dinner table struggle, and an exceptional parent to win it. Buy what you need, make enough for them, and set a good role model for them so they learn to enjoy what is good for them. It worked for my kids, and they are now in their 20's, asking me for my healthy-cooking recipes!
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have three kids under 5. Four years, 21months, and 7 months old. I feed them the same food as what my husband and I have. Baby has the vegies pureed.

When I first started this new healthy eating plan I we made the decision that no one would have different meals. I dont want my kids growing up seeing mummy on a diet and thinking that they have to do that. I want to teach them what a healthy lifestyle is, not how to diet. I won't use a smaller dinner plate to everyone else because I don't want them to think that you have to restrict/starve to be healthy.

Wea are doing this together because we are a healthy family.

I am not trying to have a go at you at all. I think I have written that mainly for myself. All the best with finding the right balance for your family.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful gift you'll be giving your children, teaching them to eat healthy now. Perhaps it will save them from doing battle with weight problems of their own when they are adults.
  • babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you want the kids involved with a healthy lifestyle, get them involved with it. With my kids, each time we went to the grocery store, we went over to the produce aisle. Each time, we picked a NEW fruit or vegetable we never ate before. I used Google to figure out what the veggie or fruit was and how to prepare it.

Fast forward to today: I have a 19 year old and an almost 16 year old. They have eaten foods such as starfruit, kumquats, mangoes, jicama, parsnips, turnips, etc., etc.. They LOVE THEM ALL!

Also, make meal preparation age appropriate. Depending on the age of the children, they can help assemble the food on the plate, cut up vegetables, use a masher, use a food processor. Kids tend to like things more if they have a vested interest in it.

You got this, Mom! Friend me if you need encouragement. I was once where you were.
  • dinglehopper14
    dinglehopper14 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have recently started meal prepping and I love it! I spend one day a week cooking most everything we need for that week.

For example this week we cooked: homemade family style lasagna, baked chicken, homemade coconut curry soup, then I boiled chicken, steamed veggies, cooked a whole pot of farro and divide these into 12 individual meals for simple grab and goes. It helps my husband and I stay on track and prevents us from relying on the convenience of fast food. Also if you like prepping salads I recommend fresh kale, it holds up best over time.

AND REMEMBER YOUR FREEZER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND! Prep and freeze!

Our son is 6 months old so I blend his food the same day I cook ours. But I agree with the pervious post, your kids should eat what you eat. That was a house rule of ours growing up.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I had that same struggle and ultimately decided that...if they want to do the shopping, they can buy whatever they want. Since they're 6 and 9 and have a) no money and b) no transportation...they've learned to enjoy what has been prepared for them. I'm not a total scrooge, I'll buy em junk food n what not every now and then and it's that point that I not only have to control my own urges to not devour the junk food, but to also teach them that the box of cookies is a snack, not a meal.

They've been really good and choosing healthier snacks. fruit cups, veggie stuff, etc

Good luck!
    Awesome, sounds like your method works!
  • dinglehopper14
    dinglehopper14 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

+1
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Agree 1000%
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Make healthy food fun for kids. We called broccoli trees, brussel sprouts little green balls. There wasnt a food my kids wouldnt eat. My daughter had decided she didnt like cooked carrots til I told her that these ones were the special cooked carrots. She ate them right up. The best carrots ever she said. Feed your kids what you eat, they will learn.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    "Since they are young, they don't like the same foods"? Says who? Do they actually reject all foods other than chicken nuggets and pizza, or are you assuming they don't like any other foods? My toddler eats everything we eat, because we don't offer any other options. Tonight he ate teriyaki salmon and sticky rice with the rest of us, because that's what was served.

It may take a while because they are now used to being catered to, but if you are consistent, your children will eat what you eat. I was raised to eat what was on the table, or go hungry, and it's how I'm raising my kid. It's worked out great so far. This saves us so much time and money, and also raises my child to be unentitiled, polite and grateful for what he gets. Good luck.
  • oOoBLUEoOo
    Options

Yep
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My youngster was a strange kid: he didn't like things most kids do, like mac & cheese, or bbq on anything, butter, salad dressing, gravy had to be "on the side". BUT he would eat anything green (what kid asks for brussel sprouts?), anything in the way of seafood or fish, beef or chicken and likes fruit. He did go through a phase when he was about 5 of not wanting whatever it was I was fixing for dinner.

So, he had a choice: peanut butter (didn't like jelly, either) sandwich, or eat what we were having. After about 4 days of peanut butter sandwiches for dinner, that phase went away and never came back. He's 27 now, so he didn't starve :)
  • rdann070371
    Options
    When they are young is the best time to start kids on the healthier lifestyle. You may not think they are paying attention to what you are eating, but they are. If you are eating good food, serve it to them and show them that you like it. VERY soon they will be asking for a salad instead of the McDonalds hamburger.
  • babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Make healthy food fun for kids. We called broccoli trees, brussel sprouts little green balls. There wasnt a food my kids wouldnt eat. My daughter had decided she didnt like cooked carrots til I told her that these ones were the special cooked carrots. She ate them right up. The best carrots ever she said. Feed your kids what you eat, they will learn.

We were raised the same way. Yellow squash was called yellow moons, broccoli was baby trees.
  • dkuhlman77
    dkuhlman77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love to make meals or prepare whatever I can ahead of time. I already make a meal plan, but I don't feel I am very good at getting the right foods or healthy foods that we are needing with out running out of money. So I have a few questions......How many times a week do you go grocery shopping? Are there recipes on this site that I can use. I am needing fast breakfasts, snacks for on the go(no fridge necessary) I have a college student that stays at school to study, but comes home for dinners.