I'm working on my strength training. =)

WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't do much..although, I want that to change. I am starting somewhere..a few lunges, a few situps/crunches, and other exercises.

Right now im doing modified push ups and starting maybe 5 at a time and try to do 1-2 extra each time..at least to aim for.

Abs- I'm new at this and want to have some great abs..I admit! So im laying down in a crunch position, and sitting up like im reaching for my knees. I can feel it right there. I hope in due time my muscles build and I can get stronger..

I'm currently looking for any ideas for basic strength training exercises thats easy to start with. :smile:

Replies

• MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Pilates is GREAT for core/abs. :)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Yoga is great too - especialy for the abs because there's a lot of core work going on.

Try doing your crunches on a resistance ball, it allows you to go back a little further than hitting the floor so work the lower back which is all connected to the abs.
  • Buy a Shape or Self magazine. They always have strength workouts in them!
    Make sure you focus first on the posture and execution of the exercise before you worry about weight and repetitions - the quality is just as (if not more) important than the quantity when starting out! :flowerforyou:
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    My personal trainer has my partner and I do basic "core" exercises. One is the crunch that you mention. She has us do 3 sets of 20 each every day.

The other exercises are "bridges". Lay flat on back with knees bent. Lift body up at pelvis and lower back to floor until back is level with floor. After 3 weeks raise right leg and perform this same exercise 20 times then repeat with left left 20 times. 3 sets

Sit on floor with knees raised and lean back slightly with arms held out front. Rotate body side to side 20 times and repeat 3 times.

Kneel on floor and keep arms and back straight. Lift each leg in a thrusting motion keeping heel straight with toes bents towards the floor. Repeat 20 times on each leg and perfomr exercies 3 times.

The last is is the "plank" Lift body on toes and keep arms straight (similiar to a push up). Hold position for 60 seconds. Repeat 3 times.

These exercises will help strenghten your core and you will be able to perform more as your body strenghtens.

Don't forget to STRETCH before and after exercising.

:laugh:
  • I am a spaze when trying to do stuff on my own other than walking or jogging on the treadmill LOL. So I use Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred as my strength training. I use 3lb weights for right now. DVD is pretty inexpensive you can get it at walmart or off amazon. I love it only 25 minutes leaves time to do some time on the treadmill or my zumba dancing dvd.
This discussion has been closed.