Heart Rate Monitor and Calories Burned

So I decided to go out and buy a heart rate monitor so I can get a more accurate idea as to how many calories I'm really burning. Has anyone used heart rate monitors during their workouts and did you find it was more accurate in comparison to just guessing? I for instance looked up how much I thought I was burning with one turbo fire workout but according to my heart rate monitor it was about 60 more. Are there any other benefits you would say in using a heart rate monitor?

Replies

• FaridPERU
    FaridPERU Posts: 172 Member
    it is a great tool to see how much calories you burn during the exercise session!

it really works, try the brand Polar for me are the best ones!
  • badcemom
    badcemom Posts: 50
    I have a Polar FT7. Of course, I am glad to finally get accurate numbers for calories burned. I also like knowing my HR throughout my workout. If it's looking a little low, I can push myself a little harder. I also like seeing how it "improves" with more exercise. For example, I can run a lot longer than I used to be able to before my HR gets up to what I consider my max for running comfort. I just think it's a really cool little gadget.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    I have a Polar FT7 as well and I ordered it on amazon.It works well and I coudnt be more happier
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    I love mine and I freak out and feel naked if I forget to bring it with me to the gym. I have a polar FT4 and wear the watch all the time and the hr strap when going for a work out. I use the calories burned in mfp. I don't wear it for general exercise such as walking to the store or weeding/lawn work etch.

I find I average 100cal burned for about 10 min of exercise. I don't know what I would do without mine.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 301 Member
    I use it mainly to gauge if I'm working hard enough or resting long enough. Calorie burn is most accurate for running at a steady pace.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    When I add a new cardio exercise to my routine I wear my FT4 for the first several sessions until I get a feel for how hard I should be working. It certainly gives me a different (and hopefully better) calorie burn rate than the machine's built-in monitors and MFP's database numbers. It will be interesting to see how the numbers change as my endurance increases over time. Definitely one of my better fitness purchases.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    I have a Polar FT7 as well and I ordered it on amazon.It works well and I coudnt be more happier

x2
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I thought I was burning with one turbo fire workout but according to my heart rate monitor it was about 60 more.

Because you're using it as a tool for something that it's not designed for it's overestimating the calorie expenditure.
    Are there any other benefits you would say in using a heart rate monitor?

If you're using it for things like Turbofire and similar there are no discernible benefits to using an HRM
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    I use an HRM, used my birthday money last year to purchase a Polar purely because I wanted to make sure that I was logging my calories as accurately as I could. I also use it as a watch (but tbh it is really there so I can ensure that I am recording everything properly on here and I know what I can allow for if I have a day where I am going out to eat or I am going to splurge on a piece of cake (hasn't happened yet this time)...definitely a very worthwhile investment.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    So I decided to go out and buy a heart rate monitor so I can get a more accurate idea as to how many calories I'm really burning. Has anyone used heart rate monitors during their workouts and did you find it was more accurate in comparison to just guessing? I for instance looked up how much I thought I was burning with one turbo fire workout but according to my heart rate monitor it was about 60 more. Are there any other benefits you would say in using a heart rate monitor?
    Personally I think the use of HRM is a bit over egged on this site. The calorie burn like from any other source is just an estimate. It uses an algorithm to work this out based on your heart rate. Think though of the occasions your HR changes when you don't exercise? Also the calorie count is only set up for use on steady state cardio (like running or cycling) so anything that your heart rate can vary a lot like circuits or even a lot of fitness videos and especially strength work the calories are likely to be even more innacurate

I'm not saying they aren't useful or that the calorie count if used like any other estimate can be a useful guide. They are not however the miracle calorie counting machine people think. Just to add I do on occasion use one myself but normally only to help pace myself on certain runs
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    I love mine, I use it to set myself targets during a workout and to see improvements in fitness over time. It's much more realistic than the estimates I've found online (obviously). Like a previous poster I tend to burn 100 calories every 10 minutes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Personally I think the use of HRM is a bit over egged on this site.

More than a bit, the vast majority of the HRM disciples aren't using them remotely like appropriately.

They're used in a similar way as a using a claw hammer to open a can...
  • JDHEKS
    JDHEKS Posts: 8 Member
    It's an essential tool for me, gives me the instant gratification I need after a workout.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    I only use my HRM during my cardio bunny days, which are my rest days. Most days I'm doing weights, so don't use it during that time.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,780 Member
    I recently got a Polar FT4 and really like it. I use it on cardio days, primarily for the calories burned AND time "in zone".