Consistently Way Under My 1,200 Calorie Goal

Options
I realize this is a problem because of starvation mode and blah, blah, blah, but I often find that I refuse to allow myself to reach anywhere near the 1,200 calorie goal. I can honestly say, though, that I'm not hungry. I rarely limit myself from having things that I want. A piece of chocolate there, some sugary cereal there. I treat myself, I'm content, and the weight is seemingly coming off quickly.

Like I said, I realize that being under the 1,200 calories is a problem, but I can't seem to force myself to rectify it. I'm nervous that if I start reaching the 1,200 calorie goal, I'll either stop losing weight at such a rapid pace or I'll start gaining weight. I'm not sure how illogical that fear is, but it's there.

I've lost about 15 pounds since early November and I'm hoping to lose another 20 to 30. Friends tell me that if I lost any more, I'd look TOO skinny, but I can't say I agree with them. I feel like I know my body better than they do, and I'd like to fall somewhere in the range of 140 to 150. For a male that's 5'7" (5'8" on a good day), that's apparently healthy.

Advice?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Take this advice from personal experience. Those awesome weight loss numbers may look good now, but they will stop soon, trust me. I had a few weeks of eating under 1200 calories by quite a bit, usually around 1000 for the day, sometimes less. And the scale dropped pretty quickly, I think I shed 5 lbs in 3 weeks (which for a girl my size is quite a bit, and much faster than the pace before I cut the calories). Then it stopped. Completely. I was stuck around 154-155 for a solid month. And I had no idea why. I was eating my 1000 calories and working out daily and the scale still wasn't moving. And then I realized I was starving myself! Even if those numbers looked great for a few weeks, I really wish I hadn't done that just to get to a mini goal. So now a few weeks after I started eating more (1300 or so calories a day, and I'm a petite girl), the scale has started to move downward again and I've slowly lost a few pounds.

So the moral of the story is that if you have 20-30 pounds to go, don't starve yourself to do it. Eat more calories, with healthy food (not extra cookies... haha) and keep working out. That will honestly get the weight off faster than undereating and having the scale get stuck for a few months because you kill your metabolism. My metabolism is till fighting to catch up to where it was before.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Remember, you will lose a lot of weight at first and fight to lose anything at the end. Find a way to eat 1200 calories a day and lose the weight in a healthy manner.
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Think of it more as a life style change than a diet...can you survive on less than 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life?
  • Stinger97
    Options
    My only thing is, if I was effectively starving myself, wouldn't I feel ... hungry? I'll have occasional hunger pangs, sure, but for the most part I satiate them. I'm usually the most hungry in the middle of the night, around 1:30 or 2AM, and I'll treat myself to a bowl of cereal. It's just hard to comprehend how I could be in starvation mode but not hungry.

Tonight I have about 800 calories just sitting there, and I'm wondering what to do with them. That actually sounds terrible typing that out. I obviously should be eating more.

Edit: I also usually sleep through breakfast, so I'm consistently missing out on those calories. That's probably where the late-night bowl of cereal comes in.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi Stinger.
    The thing about hunger is it is influenced by a number of factors: hormones, psychology, stress etc. Your body needs food to live, but the way it communicates this can be changed up by a bunch of things, not excluding depression, addiction, and eating disorders. I'm not saying you have any of those things, just saying it is possible to be doing damage to your body and not feel hungry. You might want to consider eating at least 1000 calories each day. It's not terribly hard if you eat whole healthy foods.

HTH.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who JUST posted on the same question only staying above the 1200 mark, I understand the not being hungry. But when I was in High school I was SOO busy that I never made time to eat. I wasn't ever hungry then either, I unknowing put myself into an anorexic mode! PLEASE be careful. Having 800 calories left is SCARY! You've got to build your stomach back up to take in atleast 1100 a day to be healthy.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile and noticed you are a man. You should be eating even more than that. If you exercise you should be having around 1500.
  • Stinger97
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

With missing out on breakfast, I guess I'm going to have to make lunch and dinner hit about 500 calories each. That seems extremely difficult but I'll give it a shot. :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Heh, new member here (< 1 week).

I'm in the same boat as you. After eating how much of whatever I wanted for decades (and watching my weight go up and up and up), I changed my life last Tuesday.

I haven't eaten 1k calories since I joined MFP, much less the 1750 cals I'm supposed to be eating. I'm rarely hungry and I feel satisfied when I eat the foods that I've listed. I even went so far far as to put 24 almonds in a tupper for a snack and then I put them back 'cause I didn't want the 160 calories.

Rapid weight loss is great but, as other posters have said, we've got to start eating more or we'll "crash".
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I may be mistaken but if you are not taking in enough "fuel" for you body it will get it from your muscles and organs breaking your body down. Loosing weight should be about getting healthy and being healthy is putting the correct things in your body. Just something to consider.

You may not feel hungry but thats because your body thinks it has to get what it needs on its own. eat every two hours even if it is just a hand full of almonds or other higher calorie HEALTHY snacks. you will hit 1200 before you know it.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yeah man, that will definitely be bad for you. You'll stop losing weight, and you'll start to get weaker. You body is resilient at surviving, so if youre not eating a lot of calories, your body will adjust, and be less hungry, but it won't lose weight.

Can I recommend a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch? I eat those a lot, and they help get my calorie count higher easily without making me feel extra full or bloated. I use whole wheat bread, 1.5 servings of Omega 3 enriched peanut butter, and 3 servings of jelly enriched with fiber. It comes out to about 600 calories, and it's all good stuff youre putting into your body. That could be a healthy way to up your calories.
  • Stinger97
    Options
    I may be mistaken but if you are not taking in enough "fuel" for you body it will get it from your muscles and organs breaking your body down. Loosing weight should be about getting healthy and being healthy is putting the correct things in your body. Just something to consider.
    You're totally right that without the necessary fuel to keep my body going, it'll begin to use my muscle mass. I've always been a relatively smaller guy and not athletic at that, so muscle mass is something I have in short supply.
    Can I recommend a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch? I eat those a lot, and they help get my calorie count higher easily without making me feel extra full or bloated. I use whole wheat bread, 1.5 servings of Omega 3 enriched peanut butter, and 3 servings of jelly enriched with fiber. It comes out to about 600 calories, and it's all good stuff youre putting into your body. That could be a healthy way to up your calories.
    I love PB&J and I know that's definitely a healthy option for me, but the fact that it's 600 calories ... frightens me? If that makes sense. I'm so used to eating only a little more than that a day, it's just scary to see one meal reach that calorie amount in itself. It's a habit I'm going to have to break, I guess.

Edit: If I was going to have a PB&J sandwich, I know that I'd make it with only a single slice of wheat bread, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a table spoon of jelly. And then I'd take two bites and throw it away. The effort is there to eat it, but something forces me not to. I don't get why I have such an issue.
  • NightOwl1
    Options
    "Edit: If I was going to have a PB&J sandwich, I know that I'd make it with only a single slice of wheat bread, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a table spoon of jelly. And then I'd take two bites and throw it away. The effort is there to eat it, but something forces me not to. I don't get why I have such an issue."

Sounds like you might need to consult the help of a medical professional. 400 calories a day is anorexic levels and will cause serious health problems. it may sound weird to say that from one guy to another guy, but it's true. You should look at getting help for it before it becomes something serious.
  • Stinger97
    Options
    "Edit: If I was going to have a PB&J sandwich, I know that I'd make it with only a single slice of wheat bread, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a table spoon of jelly. And then I'd take two bites and throw it away. The effort is there to eat it, but something forces me not to. I don't get why I have such an issue."

Sounds like you might need to consult the help of a medical professional. 400 calories a day is anorexic levels and will cause serious health problems. it may sound weird to say that from one guy to another guy, but it's true. You should look at getting help for it before it becomes something serious.
    Yea, I do appreciate the concern, but I don't believe I've reached eating disorder levels yet. I've always enjoyed food and, at times, have had an unhealthy relationship with it. When I was younger, it was overeating. Now that I've gotten older and am able to make my own choices about the foods that I eat, it's turned into the complete opposite of under-eating.

I hear what everyone is telling me, but I'm still so torn. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about having that bowl of cereal I was talking about before, but then wondering if I really should. It's ridiculous.
  • NightOwl1
    Options
    Yeah man, I hear you. It can be a tough road to climb. Maybe one way to look at it is to try to up your calorie intake 100 or so every couple of days, so you can reach a normal level more naturally. Think about eating more like you would using the treadmill at the gym. It may not be something you want to do or enjoyable, but it's actually helping you lose weight.

Make sure to stay in touch. Support through these issues can only help.
  • Stinger97
    Options
    I think I've made my food diary public. I just wanted to see if a few people could check it out and explain how with the food I eat, I could be in danger of starvation mode.

I totally realize I'm not eating properly. I'm not eating tons of fresh veggies and drinking glasses and glasses of water. I'm actually eating a Starbursts on occasion and bowls of Cap'n Crunch. That said, I'm always within my calorie goal. I think my real question is, how could someone go into starvation mode eating Cap'n Crunch. Heh.

I also rarely eat breakfast because I don't wake up until later in the day. So there's obviously a big gap in calories there.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You use energy no matter what you're doing, even when sleeping. You need to know your BMR (the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day) and at least eat that amount in calories. You can harm you organs if your are not getting enough calories especially if you arent eating the right kinds of food!!! And the worst part you wont even know that your hurting yourself until the damage is done!!! Not trying to scare you but only eating 500-700calories a day like you are doing is not healthy!!! Do some research!!! Im not saying you have to eat 1200 calories but you should be eating more!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yea, I do appreciate the concern, but I don't believe I've reached eating disorder levels yet. I've always enjoyed food and, at times, have had an unhealthy relationship with it. When I was younger, it was overeating. Now that I've gotten older and am able to make my own choices about the foods that I eat, it's turned into the complete opposite of under-eating.

This right here screams at me "eating disorder". Any time you think you have an unhealthy relationship......you do.

Overeating is an eating disorder just like undereating. Please do some research tonight on eating disorders and addiction. There is some pain going on in you that you are trying to control by not eating. 800 calories a day is not okay! Please get help. :heart:
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    AnorexIa is the refusal of maintaining a healthy weight. In addition to previous posts, the reason you are not hungry is because your metabolism is shot!! If you had a healthy metabolism, a guy like you would be eating the house!! Good luck!!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    My only thing is, if I was effectively starving myself, wouldn't I feel ... hungry?

No, You wouldn't feel hungry. If you don't eat, you don't feel hungry once you get passed the first hunger stage. I have a 6 year old who doens't feel hunger because she has "turned off" her appetite. If you don't eat at regular times, and enough to keep your body fueled you won't feel hunger.