What to do when you hit your allowance too early.

Options
1235»

Replies

• kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Better planning? Also, if you find yourself in that situation, do some physical activity to allow more calories to be eaten.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat. Don't usually bust a calorie limit (usually under my number), but if I'm hungry, I'm eating.

You could rearrange your calories so that you eat fewer during the day and more at night. If you're eating junk food, you could replace it with low-cal fruits and veggies. You can fill up nicely on those for very few calories! If you aren't eating a balanced diet, try balancing it out. You could be hungry because you are craving something you're missing. Take your vitamins, too!

Nature Valley Crunchy granola bars are extremely filling, not really high in calories and taste very good. Check them out!

If you're just wanting to snack and don't want fruit, wait half an hour. It will probably pass.

If it's a bad habit, break it. Gets easier as time goes on. It's OK to be hungry once in a while when you're eating less than you need, too.

Exercising more and eating some of those burned calories back is great. The exercise is good for you (yay!) and the extra calories will be a blessing. My personal opinion is that MFP is overly ambitious when they give you the total of calories you burned, so if it were me, I wouldn't eat them all back.

Suggestions like this are going to be highly individual - for me, those bars taste good, but they're not filling at all. I have a box of them sitting in my desk at work and have been trying to work them in around more filling foods so I don't waste them. Dumb, I know - I should just put them out for freebies in the lunch room.

OP, find the foods that keep you satisfied the longest. Try higher fat, higher protein, higher fiber, higher carb - find what works for you, and that's what you should eat during the day so you have something left for night.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead what you are going to be eating so that you don't go over before dinner. Then, if something comes up, yep I would suggest going for a walk until you earn it. That's what I used to do, because I would feel so guilty for going over that I would make sure to work out, walk, or WiiFit step during TV until I earned enough to be within limits.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your next day's exercise to offset the food increase. Don't go faster, but longer - and youi'll get a double benefit. Like my old coach said, walk it off.
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Some else mentioned it, but in your post about what you had for lunch, it included quite a bit of fruit (530 cal). While fruit is healthy, it is more calorie dense and has more naturally occuring sugars (carbs) which will not keep you satisfied for very long.

I've found that what helps me, is to incorporate veggies with every meal (even breakfast). Most veggies are low on calories, but big on bulk and so it will allow you to "eat more" without going over your calories.

so my suggestion would be to skip 2 of the 3 fruits for lunch and add a salad (with a little bit of dressing) or a bag of carrot sticks or whatever other vegetable that you want.

for the lasagna, you can add spinach, zucchini, and/or other cooked vegetables. Use less cheese, use lowfat cottage cheese in lieu of ricotta cheese, less mozzerella or if your family won't tolerate any of those changes, take a smaller portion of the lasagna and pair it with a large serving of vegetables, salad, etc.

Even your smoothie, you could ditch one of the fruits and add kale (if you chop it fine enough, it's not very noticeable in the taste).

Good luck!
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should sit down with your mom and discuss the benefits of planing meals in advance for the entire week and doing a weekly shop. That way you know in advance what you're eating. You can plan ahead for your calories. Your family will know what's for dinner each day. Your mom will actually save money by shopping weekly instead of going to the store daily and shopping willy nilly. And, you'll probably save time making dinner as well because you'll be able to do some prep ahead of time.

Make sense?