Do I need to limit sodium and sugar

I am an overall healthy person. No problems with blood pressure or sugar. I am usually under my caloric goal (1730). So since I have a sweet tooth I tend to use my remaining calories on sweets. This causes me to go over my sugar goal by 10-20 grams. I also am always over on sodium. Like I said my main goal is weight lost, do I need to worry?

Replies

• ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Halle Berry is hot isn't she?

She's an "overall healthy (thin and young) person"

....who has diabetes and blood pressure issues.

Just because you've never had a health problem before, doesn't mean one isn't building up.

It's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry and regretful.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    I'm going to go against most people on this website and say no.. mostly.
    Sugar is tricky, when you say sugar are we talking like cookies, candies and cakes? If so then YES you do because refined table sugar is bad junk. If we're talking the occasional candy with lots of fruit and some healthy carbs then no don't worry about it. Honestly I don't even track sugar I do fiber instead (far more important).
    In terms of salt, If you're a healthy person with no thyroid or blood pressure issues I think you're fine. I usually eat between 2000-3000mg a day and have no issues. Salt does cause water retention so if you're eating lots of sodium drink lots of water. I drink about a gallon or more a day, I have ever since I was a child. (no I don't have diabetes before you ask, perfectly healthy just overweight)
    Asians tend to eat a LOT of salt, especially Koreans where the average person consumes 6g (6000mg) of sodium A DAY that is 3 times what is suggested in america... I'm not saying you should do that but they tend to live long lives.

All in all I suggest you experiment but again realize if you go low sodium for a week and you've lost weight then you eat a lot more and you gain weight, it's the water retention from salt, so don't freak out.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Almost everyone is healthy when they're young. It's in your 50s and 60s that you start having to pay the piper.

I know that when you're 25, it's like you'll never be 60. It's like a far-off imaginary time when you'll be an old person, which is terribly hard to comprehend.

The habits you form now will lead to better or worse health later. You will be 60. You won't feel a whole lot different than you do now. And if you have to go on a super-low sodium diet after the heart attack, you'll be pissed as hell that you didn't work on it earlier. Actually, the heart attack itself will make you pissed that you never listened to the doctors.

People who are all into their fried chicken and Oreos suddenly develop a strong desire to eat healthy AFTER the heart attack. They're all, "I like my yummy food" before it, but afterwards, they have a keen interest in how not to die.

Skip the heart attack. Develop good habits now. Do it slowly. Ease into it.

Sodium is the hardest of them all...for me, anyway. But it's a good habit to develop.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    ^^^^^^ TRUTH.

If you are here to learn and help develop your new life style then you will heed the above statement and work them into your new found ways. On the other hand, if you are like the majority of dieters you will scoff at the idea this applies to you and go on doing the easy thing.
  • skyytlz
    skyytlz Posts: 30 Member
    Almost everyone is healthy when they're young. It's in your 50s and 60s that you start having to pay the piper.

I know that when you're 25, it's like you'll never be 60. It's like a far-off imaginary time when you'll be an old person, which is terribly hard to comprehend.

The habits you form now will lead to better or worse health later. You will be 60. You won't feel a whole lot different than you do now. And if you have to go on a super-low sodium diet after the heart attack, you'll be pissed as hell that you didn't work on it earlier. Actually, the heart attack itself will make you pissed that you never listened to the doctors.

People who are all into their fried chicken and Oreos suddenly develop a strong desire to eat healthy AFTER the heart attack. They're all, "I like my yummy food" before it, but afterwards, they have a keen interest in how not to die.

Skip the heart attack. Develop good habits now. Do it slowly. Ease into it.

Sodium is the hardest of them all...for me, anyway. But it's a good habit to develop.

probably the best advice i'd seen in a long time.

mind you, the occasional home baked pies and cookies sometimes still get the better of me. and always will. i love the smell of fresh baked goods haha. but i am far to lazy to bake all the time, and i cant be bothered to eat preservative city in the form of a hard cookie. ugh.