Stationary bike/elliptical exercise machine - do you key in

cherdan
cherdan Posts: 162 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently upgraded from my junky ooold elliptical stationary bike to a brand new one off Amazon; my xmas present to myself :)
The resistance is a million times better, and I definitely have way more of a burn, but the calories on the calculator are drastically different from my old machine. I realize my old machine waaaay overestimated my burn (roughly 2,200 cals for a vigorous 90 min session), but this one seems a bit low (about 790 cals for the same). MFP says the exercise database is adjusted to my BMR, so I've been using that, and it has a moderate 90 min session for me at nearly 900 calories. Which should I trust more? How do you calculate your cals burned on an elliptical stationary bike or similar machine?

Replies

• keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    At 160 lbs I get about 1000 calories an hour doing 7:30 miles. Your old machine was way overestimating unless the resistance is more than double what your new one is.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    It's really hard to be accurate unless you are using your heart rate. I have a heart monitor watch that I wear to the gym and it gives me a much more accurate reading then the elliptical and the calorie counter on here. They aren't that expensive and really will make a difference!
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    At 160 lbs I get about 1000 calories an hour doing 7:30 miles. Your old machine was way overestimating unless the resistance is more than double what your new one is.

I average 40-50 miles on my bike per session. How do you only get 7.5 miles for an hour of exercise? Must be a different kind of machine. To be honest, I don't weigh myself for personal reasons and my weight on MFP is a rough estimate.
  • You are using a stationary bike, I can understand MANY miles. I believe that person thought you were using an elliptical. I would suggest a heart rate monitor. You can get them for fairly inexpensive and it will give you a more accurate read according to your heart rate and an "average" weight. It's completely depends on intensity and duration. Check one out! :)
This discussion has been closed.