Which gym would you choose???

Options
GYM question!!! Which gym would you choose if you could only pick one...?

Gym #1- walking distance from my house, weights & all cardio machines, but only 2 showers (but I can easily come home anyways), and NO fitness classes.

Gym #2- 20 minute drive, weights, all cardio machines, swimming pool, sauna, VERY nice and large women's locker room and showers (wouldn't have an issue), and LOTS of classes - spinning, kickboxing, yoga, etc... and $15 cheaper than gym #1.

The only thing that keeps me from switching to this gym is the drive... but the classes sound nice! Spin classes would push me to do more cardio than I can push myself on my own. And Ive been wanting to do yoga. But I wonder if I will get myself to the gym enough since it is a drive... I could always go before school or work to save an extra trip. And I do have free weights at home in case I couldn't get there and wanted to do some weights.

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you are financially solid, and refilling your car more often isn't a problem, go to gym 2. You'll never get bored or burned out.
  • BlueEyedDevil88
    Options
    Good point... i do feel bored at my current gym...
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love the classes and probably wouldn't go to a gym with just weights and machines. I say gym 2 : -)
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Id say gym 2, because of the fun classes, and the swimming pool for swimming/pool running, and the sauna.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Is there an option where you don't use a gym?

ETA: If I had to choose, I would pick gym #1 because if it was a hasle for me to get there, I probably wouldn't go.
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Gym 2 for the classes and price.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Gym 2.
    Reason: pool and yoga
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would vote Gym 1, because convenience is key for me, and the closer it is to my house, the more likely I am to go! 20 minutes is a long drive. But -- it totally sucks that it offers almost nothing and costs so much. I go to a bare-bones gym, but it is nice-n-cheap.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Pick the one you see yourself looking forward to going to. If you are not enjoying yourself it will seem like a drag. For me that meant the closet gym to my home but its not the same for everyone. It sounds like you are more excited about the second option. If that is the case I would pick that one.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Gym 2 for the classes and price.

Agreed. The price difference offsets gas if you are driving. The only difference is adding 40 minutes to your workout time. If it fits into your schedule, this gym would be an awesome choice.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My answer is gym #2, so long as you'll actually go if you have to drive.

Presently, I'm not a gym person at all, because I know that if I had to drive to a gym, I wouldn't work out anywhere near as regularly as I do now. So I'm working on getting the routine in so that I'm exercising at home/running 3-4 days a week so that come Oct/Nov when I decide that I'm a fair weather girl and can't run in cold temperatures that I should have the motivation to be able to continue by going to a gym.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Gym 2 for the sauna alone, swimming pool and price are a bonus!
  • WhizGidget
    WhizGidget Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Gym 2... for the sauna alone as well. You don't want to get bored - if you do, then it's going to be an issue dragging yourself there (and it will become you dragging yourself there). The $15 should more than offset your gas expenditure, so I'd go for gym 2.

Of course - is time an issue? I know for me that I have the same kind of situation (except price, my closer gym is cheaper), but I work out in the morning before work, and driving that far for gym 2 would be a hassle for me (especially with my commute in the complete opposite direction).
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Try gym 2 for a couple of months and then reassess. (It sounds lovely though with a pool and sauna).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    GYM question!!! Which gym would you choose if you could only pick one...?

Gym #1- walking distance from my house, weights & all cardio machines, but only 2 showers (but I can easily come home anyways), and NO fitness classes.

Gym #2- 20 minute drive, weights, all cardio machines, swimming pool, sauna, VERY nice and large women's locker room and showers (wouldn't have an issue), and LOTS of classes - spinning, kickboxing, yoga, etc... and $15 cheaper than gym #1.

The only thing that keeps me from switching to this gym is the drive... but the classes sound nice! Spin classes would push me to do more cardio than I can push myself on my own. And Ive been wanting to do yoga. But I wonder if I will get myself to the gym enough since it is a drive... I could always go before school or work to save an extra trip. And I do have free weights at home in case I couldn't get there and wanted to do some weights.

Gym 2. Pool and weights. That's all I need.
  • CuracaoRunner
    CuracaoRunner Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Gym #2. Hubby bought he and I a two year membership to a gym that is really close to us, but we're mostly limited on gyms because we need one that has childcare. That being said, if I weren't limited, since I'd plan on being there quite a bit (like the one I am in now) I'd personally pick one I feel more comfortable in. If you're going to be there frequently, and lets face it, no one wants to be where they feel unwelcome, go to the one you feel most home-y in.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'd go for gym 1 because 20 minute drive each way is 40 minutes added to every workout.
    If you have 70 minutes you could fit in an hour at the first gym, but only 30 minutes at the second.
    Over time that will add up either to much less time at the gym or much less time at home.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the one with classes. I think it's worth the drive. You could always double up on classes or something to make it more worthwhile, or have a sauna after.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my situation when I picked a gym. I went with gym #2. I don't use all the stuff like I thought I would, but it is nice to have it all there if I want it!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    No question #2