Were you satisfied with True Blood's ending?*spoilers*

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
It was apparent that the writers wanted to give the show closure. But I felt that the ending of the show was kind of lacking, and was a little disappointed.

What are your thoughts? Good way to end the show? What would you have done differently?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Bump. Anyone?
  • ketoandmycamera
    ketoandmycamera Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not even a little bit! I watched it long distance with a friend and all I sent her at the end of it was a text saying "Lame."
    In my opinion it totally wasn't up to par with what we've all grown to expect from the show...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    14 minutes for a bump.

I do not even know what season I am on now. Maybe season 5-6.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed with this whole season. Am I the only one that thought Bill would turn human? It's like the writers wanted to leave it open, maybe he could have but we'll never know. And I'm so glad they brought Eric back, because if it wasn't for him and Pam this season would be UNBEARABLE.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I read the series... I couldn't get past the first season. They changed it too much and made it well...LAME.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    Series was sucky to begin with books were good until series started and she pushed them out quick
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed.

I thought it would be nice if Sookie could have ended up with ONE of the men she loved. Bill dead. Alcide dead. Eric off to new things. Sam off with a new family.

Eh.

It was anti-climactic.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    *trying to be vague so as to be not so spoilerish*

I think it felt rushed and *way* too tidy. They could have given it an extra episode and finished out the stories of the Bellefleurs and Lafayette & James and all that.

I don't think Sookie & Bill could have ended up any other way though. I do agree with Sookie's decision, and is probably the one thing she's done in the entire series that didn't annoy the hell out of me. They did a lot in this season that REALLY made me angry.... killing off my favorite character two minutes into the first episode almost made me turn it off. But that part, I think they got just right.

The only other part that really made me cranky was the Jess & Hoyt thing. The only thing that really made it justifiable is that it is in spirit only, and really - isn't that what matters? (NOTE: I'm not a wedding/marriage person)

I also thought that the One Year Later piece was *way* over the top. Eric likes a little camp, but even that was way too much. And really - who else could tie up the ending of the Japanese corporation without the REST of the Yakuza coming after them? *eye roll* I do, however, think that my favorite part of the episode was him in the Yakuza car after he tied that bow.

I do want to know how Jason ended up as such in just 3 years, though... ouch. And there didn't appear to be twins!

I will say that I cried more in this episode than I have since season 1, I think (Tara & Lennie Mae were way too much like my own mom relationship, and there were some scenes back then that just killed me). I'm not entirely sure that it was the episode itself, or the fact that one of my favorite things of all time was coming to an end for good.

TL;DR - I think they did a great job, a little too neat of a bow, but what else is new from the Kings of Camp?

/*/* Edited for typo.
  • meinola
    meinola Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hated it. Felt like I did when Dexter ended, that I wasted my time watching this show. It seemed to move very slowly for me. Too much time given to things that could have been wrapped up two episodes ago. Maybe the writers wanted a "neat little bow", but most fans seem to feel let down. I would however be totally into an Eric/Pam centric spin-off. They are the only characters I liked in the end anyway (other than Jessica).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I also thought that the One Year Later piece was *way* over the top. Eric likes a little camp, but even that was way too much. And really - who else could tie up the ending of the Japanese corporation without the REST of the Yakuza coming after them? *eye roll* I do, however, think that my favorite part of the episode was him in the Yakuza car after he tied that bow.

Me too. His little head bob thing was too funny. And I also agree there needed to be a little more about how they took the New Blood company over. Perhaps a two hour episode instead of an hour and 10 minutes.
    I do want to know how Jason ended up as such in just 3 years, though... ouch. And there didn't appear to be twins!

Yeah that bugged me too. Those kids were way too grown for 3 1/2 years.
    I will say that I cried more in this episode than I have since season 1, I think (Tara & Lennie Mae were way too much like my own mom relationship, and there were some scenes back then that just killed me). I'm not entirely sure that it was the episode itself, or the fact that one of my favorite things of all time was coming to an end for good.

Yeah, I liked the way they gave Lettie Mae closure, but Tara deserved a little more ceremony to her death. She was an important character. She was gone so fast, I'm not even sure I caught how she died. Just that she died in Lettie Mae's arms.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    It also bugged me that they really didn't put Sookie with anyone we know. Just some random unseen guy. It could have been and should have been Alside, but they had to get him out of the way so they could have this big, dramatic ending with Bill. Couldn't they have just broken up for the season, and got back together after Bill was gone?
  • Hermione98296
    Hermione98296 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First - I would like to say Thanks to HBO and the team behind true Blood for an amazing show that kept me looking forward to Sunday nights! I think it is hard to wrap up an amazing show like True Blood without going sickenly sweet and/or too tightly wrapped.

Jess and Hoyt - I found myself groaning with the whole Hoyt and Jessica wedding. My favorite little baby Vamp getting married after only "meeting" Hoyt again for 2 days. Seemed a little lazy or maybe bowing to the fan girls... Why couldn't they spend more time on Eric and Pam and let the Hoyt and Jess saga work through the closing montage. Yeah, she wanted Bill to walk down the aisle but it was over the top sweet. Jess was sexy and sweet and loyal, send her off on her own Vamp adventures and have her Hoyt get to know each again slowly - the 4+ year montage could have shown them still together and it would have been more believeable, but arguably not as sweet...

For Eric and Pam - umm, last I saw Pam she had a huge spike hanging over her and Eric was giving up Sookie - I was expecting the scene to start again and Eric to do the 1,000 year old Vampire thing and shred the whole room before they could cut the last rope! That would have been satisfying - but getting roasted in an tunnel was a just rewards for Cowboy Yakuza Dude :-D Yes Eric and Pam doing an infomercial was over the top - but the end is perfect. Back to their old partnership - Vampires to the core - blood, sex and money!

Bill - how does a vampire go from being a vampire demi-god to wishing for the true death in just a few months (True Blood time), yes he had all of his magic sucked out when he fed the masses. But why, when he loved Sookie was he ready to die? and for the family that rejected him when he turned? It just didn't make sense.Talk about a 180 from a brutal killer to get godly powers to I just want to die and return to my long dead wife who rejected me? I wanted him to get healed and make some amends with Sookie - maybe not in a romantic relationship - but somehow supportive.

Sookie needed a good man - as we have been witness to her adventurous life for the past few years are we supposed to be satisfied with some faceless guy? Really?? I get that they had to kill Alcide, Bill wasn't the one, Eric would have been more turmoil, Sam is happy with his new family - but just some faceless guy for our heroine?? How about becoming a strong woman and not needing a man to define her existence, just sayin'

Sarah - She totally reaped what she sowed - I love that she is going to be tortured and under Eric and Pam's control for many years. That she is losing her mind and has to have her creepy husband (and maybe some others) pestering her all the while is just gravy.

I am not saying that I know how this episode should have been written, but I don't think there any way they were going to please us all. Just like Friends, How I Met Your Mother, M.A.S.H. or The Sopranos - portions work for some of us but never does the whole ending please all of us...

Thanks for the wild ride True Blood!!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'm a bit disappointed. Yes, yes, I'm only watching it now. I read the whole series and watched the show, and they veered dramatically apart once they got to the fairy plot line...but still, this was so, so different.

I agree that if they were going to stick Rookie with someone, it should have been someone we knew. I personally, always wanted her with Erik. He was so much fun, and through the series and books, he was one of the few characters who consistently thought of her.

And on a sidenote, I was really happy to see Jess' dress in the last scene. I have the same dress that I bought for myself from anthropology earlier this year. And right now, it's on sale. I just get excited when I see clothes I own on TV.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Okay. I'm a bit disappointed. Yes, yes, I'm only watching it now. I read the whole series and watched the show, and they veered dramatically apart once they got to the fairy plot line...but still, this was so, so different.

I agree that if they were going to stick Rookie with someone, it should have been someone we knew. I personally, always wanted her with Erik. He was so much fun, and through the series and books, he was one of the few characters who consistently thought of her.

And on a sidenote, I was really happy to see Jess' dress in the last scene. I have the same dress that I bought for myself from anthropology earlier this year. And right now, it's on sale. I just get excited when I see clothes I own on TV.

I didn't read the books. I was told that Sookie ends up with Sam in the books. I would have been satisfied with that. But since they didn't, couldn't they at least have revealed if Sam's daughter was going to be a shape-shifter. Very disappointing!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    In the book series, all of the first born children of any shapeshifter couple becomes a shapeshifter.

This led to a major problem for Sookie and Alcide and why they would not have worked in the book series. Alcide would have been expected to create as many 'first born' children with all of the women in the pack. Because each child would be the first born. So...yeah.

Not everyone's cup of tea.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    That show FINALLY ended??
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    True Blood hasn't been good since season 4, but I kept watching just to see how it'd turn out. I wasn't a fan of the Hep V plot. I wish Willa had a bigger role this season beyond the Lettie Maestoryline.

I didn't mind that Bill and Sookie didn't end up together, but Bill's reason for dying didn't make sense. With or without him, Sookie wouldn't be able to have a normal life since vampires, witches, etc. still exist and she decided to stay a faerie.