just binged on 4000 calories

I've been on a diet for the past 8 months, and have been counting calories obsessively. I basically didn't allow myself to have any sweets for most of the 8 months. I ate tones of veggies, whole grains and lean meats. 've managed to lose about 10 pounds, and am now at a healthy weight for my height ( 5'9, 125 pounds) however, about a month ago I developed a binge eating disorder, and now it's blowing way out of control. Sometimes I have 4000 calorie binges. Today I had: Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 6 walnuts.
Lunch: lean cut beef, a salad, 1 slice of smoked salmon and a peach and a slice of cheese.
Dinner: a big bowl of lentils with rice, then i binged and had almost 200 grams of dark chocolate, maple syrup and a banana, 1 small cookie, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter, handfuls of raisins, toast with lots of butter and a bowl of cornflakes and a big glass of milk. I know, i'm disgusting and i'm probably going to gain all the weight back i worked so hard to lose. Will this binge do severe harm to my body? I almost never have sugar, but i ate so much today? and any tips on how to avoid this? I was thinking of stopping counting calories, as it has made me a hyper obsessive person...thanks!

I've also had trouble working out lately, i can't afford a gym membership, so i've been working out by running in the park. However, it''s 35-38 degrees so i've been missing working out lately...

Replies

• mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Restricting calories too much and not allowing yourself any treats sets you up for failure. If you really think you've developed a binge eating disorder, best bet is to seek counseling before it gets out of control. Try to plan for a cheat day now and then, or to allow yourself small sweets in moderation to prevent bingeing. Considering your height and weight, one bad day is not going to cause you to gain all of your weight back. If you're finding restricting and bingeing are a pattern, consider changing your diet and calorie count to something more sustainable long term. If you are unable to do this and it causes a lot of anxiety and calorie obsession, then yes, definitely seek help.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    cutting sweets out completely is certain failure for me. I allow myself a sweet treat once a week. I also know I will go over on calories on certain days of the year (like Thanksgiving and Christmas, nieces B'day party). Although I still have ups and downs, there are days htat are not planned as a sweet day ans i go over on calories and I just tell myself "I'm human, mistakes are going to be made just don't let 1 day turn into 3 or 4 bad days in a row." You are human Sweetie so don't try to be perfect with our diet journey. Also like holidays and special parties give yourself alittle slack because those are specila moments and memories you can't get back. I kinda got of subject alittle and got long winded LOL but I hope it helped alittle. Remember everyone on here has had a 1 or 2 binge days on their journey, just make the next day better.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    At 5'9" 125 pounds is underweight even if you have a smaller frame. There are many reasons you may have had a binge, but likely your body really needed those calories.

ETA: You aren't supposed to post the same topic multiple times.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1412824-just-binged-on-4000-calories
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    I've been on a diet for the past 8 months, and have been counting calories obsessively. I basically didn't allow myself to have any sweets for most of the 8 months. I ate tones of veggies, whole grains and lean meats. 've managed to lose about 10 pounds, and am now at a healthy weight for my height ( 5'9, 125 pounds) however, about a month ago I developed a binge eating disorder, and now it's blowing way out of control. Sometimes I have 4000 calorie binges. Today I had: Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 6 walnuts.
    Lunch: lean cut beef, a salad, 1 slice of smoked salmon and a peach and a slice of cheese.
    Dinner: a big bowl of lentils with rice, then i binged and had almost 200 grams of dark chocolate, maple syrup and a banana, 1 small cookie, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter, handfuls of raisins, toast with lots of butter and a bowl of cornflakes and a big glass of milk. I know, i'm disgusting and i'm probably going to gain all the weight back i worked so hard to lose. Will this binge do severe harm to my body? I almost never have sugar, but i ate so much today? and any tips on how to avoid this? I was thinking of stopping counting calories, as it has made me a hyper obsessive person...thanks!

I've also had trouble working out lately, i can't afford a gym membership, so i've been working out by running in the park. However, it''s 35-38 degrees so i've been missing working out lately...

If you want to stop, just be mental. Don't use excuses and ask for help. The power is inside yourself.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Where do you see yourself in a year? Ask yourself that question every time you put something in your mouth that you shouldn't. Ask it also when you don't feel like working out. If you see yourself still healthy, well, you know what to do!
  • FitCattitude
    FitCattitude Posts: 64 Member
    Some ideas might be eating wholemeal eg pitta bread (very filling) and protein shake (curbs appetite). Also, I'd add a full bar of chocolate each day into your calorie amount, even 100g sometimes, so you know you're not being deprived at all, and really eat it slowly and enjoy it fully. Mint ice cream cone at 187 cals (Sainsburys, UK); takes ages to eat and lots of flavour, is another example plus low cal. And a good multivitamin will help too. And looking at the 1000's of calories allowed in total over a full 7 days of MFP can make you realise how much food you can eat over a week too ... this is good for your thinking again, as it's another message that gets rid of the thought/feeling of 'lack'.

Also, you may be able to get hold of an exercise bike cheaply, in local paper's ads or online locally.

I agree you may need some extra help also, as binge eating is very often about emotional issues underneath the eating.
This discussion has been closed.