Goodies in the Break Room!

Options
Anyone else struggle with constant goodies in your break rooms at work? ... And when I say constant, I really mean DAILY!

Donuts to get everyone by on a Monday, cookies and brownies for yet another co-workers birthday, cinnamon rolls from cinnabon last week because we had a meeting, donuts again to get us over Wednesday's hump, cake because another gal is going on maternity leave, and of course MORE donuts because it's Friday!!!

Today's villain... See's Candies... A giant three level box filled with chocolatey goodness and another huge box of See's lollipops keep staring me down when I go in the break room to fill my water bottle :sad:

Now on MOST days I can resist, but it is NOT easy. I think my heart breaks a little when I walk past those donuts to the fridge to grab my celery sticks... Some days are harder than others and I give in, but when I do give in I try to do it in little moderation... Only half a donut, only one cookie, only one piece of chocolate. I understand it's okay to give in once in a while, but at my work once in a while is every day and it's very obvious why some of my co workers are so overweight. I also don't want to set myself up for failure at 10am when I've got a full days worth of calories still waiting to be blown on some worthless donut :angry:

I've got willpower, and like I said, more days than not I stick to the healthy snack and lunch I brought, but someone needs to get me a blindfold so my eyes can't see all of the yummy goodness on the way to my chicken and veggies :sad:

Does anyone else have similar issues with there constantly being sugar, and treats in your break rooms/ office? Do you give in? How does it affect your goals? How do you resist?

Would love to hear from others who are faced with the same challenge :smile:

Replies

• hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes, we get given lots of goodies daily, chocolate, sweets, cakes, mints, biscuits etc as thank you'd from relatives and patients. We also get high calorie sandwiches left from teaching sessions. There is a constant source of calorific snacks. I have just stopped allowing myself to have any, its just too easy to pick them up and nibble. The hardest for me is when I end up working extra hours and therefore don't have food to get me through and I feel genuinely hungry, my method for this unpredictability is a can of soup and a porridge satchet in my draw.
  • dcberlin10
    dcberlin10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I keep a big bag of almonds in my desk too, it's just so tempting every darn day. Ughhh. Mind over matter!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The last company I worked for had the same temptations. One department or another covered breakfast, lunch, and snacks. December was the worst because if someone did not bring food in then clients would send food literally everyday straight thru New Year’s Eve. I used to give in all of the time but I stopped because I wanted good health more than I wanted that food. Personally, I don't do pot luck at work anymore. I bring my food or order from a place that makes good food because I won't waste my calories on nasty tasting foods. There isn't any wrong with working some of those snacks into your calories goal. You just can't lose control if it is going to cost you your calories deficient.
  • dcberlin10
    Options
    Yeah I understand, it's hard working them into my goal though when I never know what's going to be in there. Seems like resisting is just the way to go!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you could resist without binging later, that's good. Otherwise, budget your calories for the week. Give yourself some high and low days. I still very much eat all kinds of snacks, I just do it on my time clock and not anyone else's.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat a donut of brownie or cookie of whatever else there is... then just eat it. Either buy your own at home so you know the caloric and macro content of it, or eat the stuff at work sometimes and put it into your log so that it fits into your day's calories/macros.

I eat junk food daily, still meet my protein minimum of 160g a day and have still lost weight. People really ought to stop making fat loss about diet restriction or unsustainable methods. And considering how unhappy you seem, it does not seem that your current diet approach is ideal for you. Eating foods you love doesn't make you fat, eating too much of ANY food you love, regarless of its nutrition, is what will make you gain weight.

So unless you just have such a black and white mentality of what foods are allowed to be eaten, moderation truly is the key to success.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat a donut of brownie or cookie of whatever else there is... then just eat it. Either buy your own at home so you know the caloric and macro content of it, or eat the stuff at work sometimes and put it into your log so that it fits into your day's calories/macros.

I eat junk food daily, still meet my protein minimum of 160g a day and have still lost weight. People really ought to stop making fat loss about diet restriction or unsustainable methods. And considering how unhappy you seem, it does not seem that your current diet approach is ideal for you. Eating foods you love doesn't make you fat, eating too much of ANY food you love, regarless of its nutrition, is what will make you gain weight.

So unless you just have such a black and white mentality of what foods are allowed to be eaten, moderation truly is the key to success.
    Sounds like you've figured out what works for YOU. Good for you.:drinker:
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I work at a concert hall, and we have during the season we have concerts for the elderly, and this place is filled to the brim with donuts. So many donuts.

You better believe I am going to schedule my calories to make way for a donut once or twice a week. I used to eat bagels daily, and I still lost, b/c I didn't go over my calories. So I'm not too concerned about it.

And when I manage the building during evening concerts, the caterers bring yummy food. Yesterday, I did pretty good, I had fruit and some crackers, and whenever I was near the bar, I stuck with water. The problem with the evening shows, is that you're running so much, that you don't really get a break to eat, so you're just grabbing something from here or there. This will be my test. Making sure I stay in my calories, while running through hectic insanity.

I just have to plan better. I didn't expect to be there as late as I was, so I hit up Arby's. Got fries and chicken tenders, didn't get a drink. Next time, I will make sure I have food prepared at home, so I can just pop something in the microwave. This is my first time doing facility management for the concerts.
  • dcberlin10
    Options
    If you could resist without binging later, that's good. Otherwise, budget your calories for the week. Give yourself some high and low days. I still very much eat all kinds of snacks, I just do it on my time clock and not anyone else's.

Thank you:flowerforyou:
  • divinedivasceo
    divinedivasceo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, Goodies in there right now and one of my downfalls, NACHOS!!! But, I've planned and so I'm ok. I also work at a clinic and we have drug reps who bring in some pretty great unplanned lunches! GRRR!! I mean, I like them and all but the unplanned thing is tricky!! Sometimes I eat them and other times I just steer clear!

Just have to keep my eye on the goal and not on the NACHOS! LOL! :)
  • dcberlin10
    Options

Glad this has worked out for you! I personally could not eat junk food every day that just has stomach ache written all over it for me, but when I do choose to eat it, moderation is definitely key. I'm actually pretty happy with my current diet approach. The only thing I'm unhappy about is the mountain of sugar in my break room every day. A lot of the foods are not my favorite, but still extremely delicious and distracting none the less. My post was more so about how distracting it is day in and day out to have the mountain of sugar stare at me while I go to the fridge to get my healthy snacks and lunch, that I do still very much enjoy.

Anywhooo, thanks for the input :smile:
  • dcberlin10
    Options
    @DivineDiva

YES, the unplanned and unknown is the hard part. I almost wish I knew what was going to be in that break room the day before so I could decide before hand if I want it or not and then budget for it :laugh: I'll either be more head strong about not deviating from plan for that day or I'll be sure to leave an extra 100-200 calories!
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just think about how many pairs of unwashed hands have been on those goodies...How many people do you know that wash their hands every time they use the work restroom. What about that creepy guy in accounting who always has a runny nose. He had a brownie today.

It's easier to just avoid the snacks. We have muffins and donuts every week at least once or twice. You just have to make up your mind that you're not going to eat anything aside from the foods you've planned for the day and stick to it.
  • dcberlin10
    Options
    Just think about how many pairs of unwashed hands have been on those goodies...How many people do you know that wash their hands every time they use the work restroom. What about that creepy guy in accounting who always has a runny nose. He had a brownie today.

It's easier to just avoid the snacks. We have muffins and donuts every week at least once or twice. You just have to make up your mind that you're not going to eat anything aside from the foods you've planned for the day and stick to it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: THANK YOU for this! As gross and TRUE as this probably is I'll definitely think about this next time I want a donut!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's my downfall too. But...

Couple that with *kitten* coworkers that constantly call me things like donut thief and say things like " you only come to work for the treats" and it gets easier to say no. They say it because they think it's cute to tease the thin/fit girl, but there has been no greater motivation for me to say no until recently.

So in short, i used to fit the treats in my day, even if it was an unplanned treat. Now I am just the *kitten* that refuses to eat goodies out of principle.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: THANK YOU for this! As gross and TRUE as this probably is I'll definitely think about this next time I want a donut!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • write2nicole
    write2nicole Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First, I try to ONLY partake if it's something I actually think I'd love. White cake with strawberry filling? Yuck. Pass. Chocolate lasagna? That, I'll budget for. So that helps to cut out about half the sweets that are offered. Sometimes more.

Second, sometimes I tell myself, "That chocolate iced donut right there looks delicious. I'm going to wait until my afternoon snack. If it's still there at that time, I'll eat it." Lots of the time, whatever I had my eye on has disappeared by the time I come back for it.

Of course, plenty of times I just give in. I try to incorporate it into my calories. Every once in a while, I just splurge. But I try to make the splurge worth it.
  • write2nicole
    write2nicole Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They say it because they think it's cute to tease the thin/fit girl, but there has been no greater motivation for me to say no until recently.
    Wow, passive-aggressive, much? (Them, not you, obvs.)
  • dcberlin10
    Options
    Second, sometimes I tell myself, "That chocolate iced donut right there looks delicious. I'm going to wait until my afternoon snack. If it's still there at that time, I'll eat it." Lots of the time, whatever I had my eye on has disappeared by the time I come back for it.

I've noticed that when I use this approach it usually works, whatever I wanted is now gone. So on the days where the cravings are just too much, I'll at least try to hold off until after lunch in the hopes that someone else already ate it, muahaha!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    What has helped me resist is prelogging food (which is always subject to change upon my mood). For today, Ive already had breakfast and lunch. I have prelogged my dinner and a snack that I haven't eaten yet. This allows me to see that my chicken and rice soup for dinner with 300 or so calories. I have 600 calories left for the day if I want a snack or dessert (or temptations at work). If I decide not to splurge maybe Ill add a half sandwich to the soup-or whatever else strikes my fancy and fits in that calorie range.

Also the donuts used to get me. Id eat one, go to log it and cry over the 400 calories a double chocolate cake from Dunkin Donuts was. So now if i really want one, I eat just a quarter for 100 cals. Or eat the whole thing if you can make it fit. Id rather eat more satisfying foods for 400 calories though!

Good luck with resisting!