Running Clothes Suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    jX3ZQr4.jpg?2

If you really want to be elite, I suggest a reflective, thumb-hole running top like this one.

In for elitism.

It's also water-repellent.

*marks another check under the "elite" category*
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Someone told me last year, as I prepared to face my first Canadian prairie fall and winter of outdoor running, to dress for 10 degrees warmer than the actual temperature.

So, for the most part in fall, I'm happy just in regular running tights, a dri-wear tee and a long sleeve shirt over top. I have light running gloves if my fingers feel cold, and a buff that can be worn multiple ways to protect my ears from windy days.

I ran outside this past winter a few times, the coldest time it was -32C. I wore the same as above, with a pair of fleece pants over my tights, and a fleece lined jacket over my shirt. I also wore a full faced bellaclava that had 2" of frost build up on it when I got home. But, I wasn't chilled.

I LOVE Under Armor cold gear!

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Everyone is a bit different in how they prefer to dress, so it'll be trial and error, but dressing as if it were 10 degrees warmer is a great place to start. Layers are also going to be your friend - not only can you get by with a smaller wardrobe, it makes adjusting on the run easier. It's amazing what a winter headwind will do to your cold tolerance - I can be perfectly fine with a tailwind and then freezing with a headwind - having a half zip on top of my base layer allows me to change it up as needed on the run. My "must haves" are tights, capris, t-shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, hat and gloves.

For visibility, they sell reflective bands you can put on your arms and legs. There are also flashing LED lights that clip to your shirt or belt. If you're going to be running in the dark a lot, a headlamp could end up being a big safety need so you can see the road conditions in front of you. Lastly, if you're going to be running on ice or packed snow a lot, making a pair of screw shoes really helps with traction. If you google "screw shoes" you'll get lots of instructions on how to do it.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    second Smartwool socks. I actually have these in a variety of weights for year-round running. Hands down best running socks EVAHHHH (and they last, so they're honestly worth the price, IMO)!
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I live in Australia and it's currently winter-almost spring! and my best purchase would have to have been fingerless gloves. Really good for cold hands. And if your nose runs. I know that sounds gross, but yeah I found it's necessary and I just wash them when I get home.
    Other than that, I usually wear 3/4 leggings or full, made with moisture wicking anti chafe fabric etc. I take a jacket or bright waterproof coat with reflectors usually but I get hot pretty quick so sometimes I think it's better to leave that in the car or home etc so I won't have to leave it in a tree until I come back lol.
    Also would probably recommend some proper running socks with coolmax or something like that as feet still sweat and get hot in winter and keeping your feet dry will make things a lot more comfortable and help prevent blisters. Try not to walk/run in any long damp grass if it can get in your shoes, either lol.
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Following for suggestions
  • julyf
    julyf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you need warm fitness gloves,you can cheack here: http://www.sport-lover.com
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Damned if I can work out what the numbers mean in the real world, but broadly layers are your friend as they allow finer control.

For me, as it starts to cool down I stick a long sleeve thermal top on under my tee.

As temps approach 0° I'll switch to tights instead of shorts, add gloves and a hat. If its getting uncomfortably cold I have fleece half zips and a high viz gilet.

Gloves and hat are high viz and I have a front and back LED head torch.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    jX3ZQr4.jpg?2

If you really want to be elite, I suggest a reflective, thumb-hole running top like this one.

In for elitism.

It's also water-repellent.

*marks another check under the "elite" category*

*Envy*

I have this in blue:
    286438_40816_41?rgn=0,0,1950,2250&scl=4.55607476635514&id=n1gcU2
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Heh, it's 95 degrees Fahrenheit out here this time of year so I haven't even begun to think about this, but it is a smart topic.

It doesn't get quite this cold where I live (last year I think it hit 40 once) but this is something I'll have to think about this year because I recently started running. I figure I'll be ok in some lightweight sweats and a lightweight zip jacket. Maybe I'll have to break out the hoodies but I doubt it.

Reflective is a smart idea especially if you run in the early morning or after dinner. Where I live in the winter it gets dark around 5:30pm or so, ha.

Get some technical capris.

You can send me a thank-you note in December.