Replies

• asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Not really.

Chicken breast $2//lb
    In season fresh veggies less than $1/lb
    Etc.

Umm idk where you are shopping but regular chicken breast where I live is 4.99/lb and if you want free range/no added antibiotic chicken breast is 6.49/lb or more. Grass fed beef is 7.99/lb or more, bison is generally 8.99/lb. Avocados $1.69 each! (I get a lot of my daily fat from avocados) I'm lucky to spend $100/week during my cut. During bulk it's closer to $150/week if I'm careful.

Wow, that's extremely unfortunate, I buy chicken breast in bulk at Costco for $2.50 a pound and I live in California where everything is expensive. You don't need Grass fed beef. You could be getting fat from peanut butter instead of Avocados. You're spending a lot of money that you don't need to.

Ah yes I know I could spend less if I wanted to buy cheaper meat...but I prefer animals that haven't been fed a strictly corn based feed diet or loaded with growth hormones. We ingest whatever the animal we're eating has ingested and I personally don't want a buildup of hormones, antibiotics, etc. in my body; with the amount of meat I eat (I average 8 lbs/week) I would rather be safe than sorry. Same deal with peanuts and why I no longer buy peanut butter-peanuts are one of the most heavily sprayed crops and I don't want to poison myself. I do buy almonds/almond butter instead-expensive but worth it to me.

I'm sure there are several people who will disagree with my logic and/or thoughts but these are just my opinions/personal choices.

You can cut your meat costs by buying an entire or half a cow from a farmer and having it butchered. Find some friends to go in on it with you.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It is only expensive if you are vegan, buy strictly organic, or buy free range/grass fed meats.

Otherwise it is fairly inexpensive.
  • tamara3226
    Options
    Cut out convenience health foods. Those are ridiculously expensive and add up quick.

You can do things to cut budget and it usually involves planning and cooking. Also experimenting with new foods. You can search for cheap healthy meals etc and get some good ideas. There are lots of web sites dedicated to healthy eating on a budget. I've found some really great meals that way too.

I do some vegetarian nights so I'm not trying to serve meat at every meal.

Another thing to think about is that food is what you put into your body. What could be more important? So if it costs a little more to fuel it with the healthiest food you can isn't it worth it?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Not really.

Chicken breast $2//lb
    Etc.

Umm idk where you are shopping but regular chicken breast where I live is 4.99/lb and if you want free range/no added antibiotic chicken breast is 6.49/lb or more. Grass fed beef is 7.99/lb or more, bison is generally 8.99/lb. Avocados $1.69 each! (I get a lot of my daily fat from avocados) I'm lucky to spend $100/week during my cut. During bulk it's closer to $150/week if I'm careful.

Wow, that's extremely unfortunate, I buy chicken breast in bulk at Costco for $2.50 a pound and I live in California where everything is expensive. You don't need Grass fed beef. You could be getting fat from peanut butter instead of Avocados. You're spending a lot of money that you don't need to.

Ah yes I know I could spend less if I wanted to buy cheaper meat...but I prefer animals that haven't been fed a strictly corn based feed diet or loaded with growth hormones. We ingest whatever the animal we're eating has ingested and I personally don't want a buildup of hormones, antibiotics, etc. in my body; with the amount of meat I eat (I average 8 lbs/week) I would rather be safe than sorry. Same deal with peanuts and why I no longer buy peanut butter-peanuts are one of the most heavily sprayed crops and I don't want to poison myself. I do buy almonds/almond butter instead-expensive but worth it to me.

I'm sure there are several people who will disagree with my logic and/or thoughts but these are just my opinions/personal choices.

From Scientific American:
    What makes organic farming different, then? It’s not the use of pesticides, it’s the origin of the pesticides used. Organic pesticides are those that are derived from natural sources and processed lightly if at all before use. This is different than the current pesticides used by conventional agriculture, which are generally synthetic. It has been assumed for years that pesticides that occur naturally (in certain plants, for example) are somehow better for us and the environment than those that have been created by man. As more research is done into their toxicity, however, this simply isn’t true, either. Many natural pesticides have been found to be potential – or serious – health risks.

There is also evidence suggesting that about half of the natural pesticides used in organic farming are carcinogenic. Also organic fruits and vegetables grown WITHOUT synthetic pesticides have many more natural carcinogens than the ones grown with synthetic pesticides. Don't just believe something that's labeled "Organic" is healthy for you without doing any research...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    As said, it totes depends on where you live. Chicken breast here is insanely expensive, but protein powder is quite cheap - as are other forms of lean protein.

You just have to find ways to make it work, and maybe put a priority on paying more for good choices?

Spending $2/lb sounds so awesome though, I am super jealous at how cheap grocery shopping in the states is.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Not really.

Chicken breast $2//lb
    Etc.

Where you buying your chicken breast? My local Hyvee is like $3.50/lb
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you LIKE to eat, too.

We have a lot of poultry around here. I like to get boneless, skinless turkey breasts and roast it in the oven. It's around $10 or so for 3 or so lbs of meat. We buy loads of chicken - it's cheaper to buy the whole bird and roast it or cut it up yourself than it is to buy the pre-butchered meats.

If you are somewhere close to or have access to it, maybe look into buying a quarter or half cow from a farm? If you have the freezer space for it you can get it for pennies on the dollar compared to buying beef in individual packages, and they'll usually butcher it for you. Yeah it's a lot of money up front but you'll have meat for months.

I find farmers markets can be very inexpensive if you like a wide range of fruits and vegetables. I don't know what is near by to you and this may not be a feasible solution for you but it is worth looking at to see if there's something near by.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It is only expensive if you are vegan, buy strictly organic, or buy free range/grass fed meats.

See my above comment, I feed a family of five on $550 a month completely vegan. Not expensive.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    if you want bars, there are plenty on line recipes that are cheap and easy. Alton Brown on Food Network did a whole show on it. Recipes from that at Foodnetwork.com
  • wheird
    Options
    Not really.

Chicken breast $2//lb
    Etc.

If you feel that way it is fine. Just know that your preferences cost you more. /shrug
  • wheird
    Options

See my above comment, I feed a family of five on $550 a month completely vegan. Not expensive.

That is actually pretty admirable. Though I am curious as to the daily caloric and macrinutrient spreads you are able to achieve that way.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't find it more expensive at all. I do shop "smart" and frugally...but even when I get specialty, gourmet, and convenience items it is still roughly the same as I've ever spent, and often cheaper.
  • wheird
    Options
    Not really.

Chicken breast $2//lb
    Etc.

Where you buying your chicken breast? My local Hyvee is like $3.50/lb

Check your local grocery ads weekly. There are sales fairly often with it at 1.99/lb. And pork loin roasts for the same or around 2.49/lb thatyou can slice into chops.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you think eating healty is expensive you should investigate the cost of diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol and other ailments cause by not eating healty. Compare the cost in quality of life and dollars and make your choices.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you think eating healty is expensive you should investigate the cost of diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol and other ailments cause by not eating healty. Compare the cost in quality of life and dollars and make your choices.

:noway:
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen chicken breast for $2/lb. Or any other part of the chicken. I still don't agree that eating healthy has to be expensive. If you buy into all the crap that is advertised, then yeah, it might get expensive. Eat simple and buy as much of the basics as you can at once if it's cheaper to do so.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ^^^
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    Not really.

Chicken breast $2//lb
    Etc.

I often see this: chicken breast, 2$/lb. Very very occasionally I can find it on sale at 1.99$ or 2.49$ and I stock up, but my family of 6 may well eat 10lbs of this a week. Not to mention the cost of fresh produce, dairy, etc.
  • wheird
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen chicken breast for $2/lb. Or any other part of the chicken. I still don't agree that eating healthy has to be expensive. If you buy into all the crap that is advertised, then yeah, it might get expensive. Eat simple and buy as much of the basics as you can at once if it's cheaper to do so.

I see split breasts and quarters for. 99/lb regularly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

ours goes on sale for 1.98$/pound about every other month or so- I stock up then- but it's regularly 2.50 -3.00$/pound.

7$ of chicken and 5$ of veggies will feed the bulk of my meals for 3 days. lunch and dinner- I eat yogurt and eggs otherwise.