Keto-friends needed!!!

Options
Hey yall. Josh here, 28, from Glendale AZ!!!

My girlfriend and I are going keto. I have (she has not) a seizure disorder, and I am doing it for my health and to trim down. I am looking for other friends that are knowledgable about ketogenic diets, or wish to learn with me.

if your macros look like this:
F: 70%
P: 20%
nC: <10%

Say hello! I need peeps!
Josh

Replies

• abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Definitely keeping the carbs lower, but I can't claim to be going keto. Sometimes I will go that low just because of what I've coincidentally chosen to eat that day, but it's not something I plan on. I'm almost always under 40 or 50 carbs though. Good luck to you and remember to be patient. Trying to lose weight WILL more than likely frustrate you at some point, that's just par for the course.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Check out the keto/low carb boards! Lots of like-minded people there! The main boards tend to bash pretty harshly anything that isn't the traditional IIFYM.

Welcome! I do low carb/keto-ish. I'd like for net carbs to also be around 10%-ish right now, 65-70% fat. I have troubles sometimes keeping the protein around 20%. I've done low carb off and on for years. Had a lot of success years ago, and since having a child struggling to stay committed to it. Love how it makes me feel satisfied and the energy!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I am at

P 45%
    F 45%
    C 10%

I was at your macros when I first started but over time as I made food choices based on micro nutrients it evolved. I feel an important aspect to be aware of is your saturated fat consumption. And of course trans fats are just pure poision and should be avoided completely.

FYI . I have gotten my saturated fat down to the 17 grams per day limit recommended by the American Heart Assoc and mayo clinic.

In doing so I have been able to get off blood pressure and cholesterol meds.
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm doing Keto -- just started a week ago. I'm now in ketosis according to my pee stix. :-)

I'm a runner with type2 diabetes (MUN subtype) with hyperinsulinism so, this is the only thing that's going to work with me during marathon training season. I'm working with my doctor and dietician, so I'm closely monitored. As well as monitoring my blood glucose.

I'm at:

Fat: 70%
    Protein: 25%
    Carbs: 5%

I'm doing total carbs because of the whole diabetes thing. I had my first run today in ketosis and I think it was OK. Got a little fuzzy feeling afterwards. But that might've been because of the heat.
  • susiemelindy
    Options
    I'm still to figure this stuff out. Two protein shakes a day, limited veggies and 3 to 6 ounces of protein.
    71142670.png
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    bump...because we are awesome!

Hey, any guys in the audience care to join a group for ketogenic dudes? Check out Keto for Dudes group. Join please!
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am on day 4 of trying the ketogenic diet and am having a problem with palpitations this afternoon and evening. Just wondering if this is common and will it go away once I keto adapt? Thanks for any advice.
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    love my keto!! I do Fat-60, Carbs-10, and Protein 40. I keep my saturated fat under 12 and my sodium under 900. I have lost over 20 pounds. I do have a hard time keeping my protein count down at times. Don't miss the carbs or the sugar.
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started the Ketogenic Diet last Friday. Down 11 lbs already. Having a bit of an issue getting in all of my protein. But I am ordering some protein powder to help me. I'm following the Optimal Ketogenic Living guide. 97 g protein, at least 73 g fat and no more than 24 g carbs

Glad I found this group!

Jenn
  • blaccoffee
    blaccoffee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keto is amazing once you get past the induction phase. I try to keep my carbs as low as possible but do tend to "cheat" on the weekends or whenever my coworkers decide to eat out for lunch.

Will be experimenting with CKD soon.

Stay hydrated, you don't want to experience ketoacidosis.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    Hello, I am on day 4 of trying the ketogenic diet and am having a problem with palpitations this afternoon and evening. Just wondering if this is common and will it go away once I keto adapt? Thanks for any advice.

I can't speak much on it, as I am new too, but here is an interesting article on the micronutrients needed while switching over:

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/16/Keto-flu-and-Sufficient-Intake-of-Electrolytes
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi i did low carb for a short stint. And i read a few books about it too.

I would also recommend you increase your net carbs to at least 20. You need to increase fibre and learn about the importance of fibre for overall health. So make sure all your carbs come from fibre rich vegie foods.

I implore you to read the wikipedia entry on GUT FLORA . Go to the end first and read how it helps your health and how to increase your gut flora with carbohydrate breakdown .

An easier way to understand all this is to watch a show on youtube called Catalyst - Gut Reaction. These two shows are reputable science shows on public tv in Australia. I found them shows very convincing.

I believe low carb diets are good for people with certain health problems but you should not overlook the value of fibre. It creates a microenvironment which has very positive benefits for your while body. Its a lot more than keeping your bowel clean.

When it comes to weightloss, in the longer term i.e. about a year, low carb and low fat diets come out about equal.

Having done the low carb diet, i am not longer very bothered about fats though nearly all of my fats are good fats anyway - olive oil, nuts and seeds with the rest coming from full cream dairy. I tend not to eat meat but take some fish and seafood.

Low carb is definitely quite fun but i couldn't sustain it even at a 40 carbs a day. I quit suddenly at the two week period and then it took a while to adjust my eating back to lower fat . that was tricky and i got there with the support of friends. Now i'm good.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    Hi i did low carb for a short stint. And i read a few books about it too.

I would also recommend you increase your net carbs to at least 20. You need to increase fibre and learn about the importance of fibre for overall health. So make sure all your carbs come from fibre rich vegie foods.

I implore you to read the wikipedia entry on GUT FLORA . Go to the end first and read how it helps your health and how to increase your gut flora with carbohydrate breakdown .

An easier way to understand all this is to watch a show on youtube called Catalyst - Gut Reaction. These two shows are reputable science shows on public tv in Australia. I found them shows very convincing.

I believe low carb diets are good for people with certain health problems but you should not overlook the value of fibre. It creates a microenvironment which has very positive benefits for your while body. Its a lot more than keeping your bowel clean.

When it comes to weightloss, in the longer term i.e. about a year, low carb and low fat diets come out about equal.

Having done the low carb diet, i am not longer very bothered about fats though nearly all of my fats are good fats anyway - olive oil, nuts and seeds with the rest coming from full cream dairy. I tend not to eat meat but take some fish and seafood.

Low carb is definitely quite fun but i couldn't sustain it even at a 40 carbs a day. I quit suddenly at the two week period and then it took a while to adjust my eating back to lower fat . that was tricky and i got there with the support of friends. Now i'm good.

I can respect your opinion. but I have little faith in what you are talking about because you only gave the keto diet two weeks, and only had negative effects AFTER you switched back. I am a meat eater, and I will never give that up as long as I live. I would like to see the research on the "low fat/low carb after a year" study, though. If you have that handy, I would like the link.

I know the importance of fiber in the diet, but there are supplements that I can take for fiber without it affecting my carb intake.