Negatives of eating under your daily limits?

Options
My daily calorie limit has been set at 1,870 according to MFP.

However, if I eat the healthy food I buy and snack moderately and am eating mindfully, I tend to eat somewhere in the ballpark of 1300-1600 calories, and it's a struggle to hit the 1,870. Don't get me wrong, some days I definitely hit that limit but by and large, I tend to be under it. (this is based on previous diets, since today is day 1 for me).

Is anything negative going to happen if I don't eat as many calories as MFP suggests I eat, but I'm still full/content?

FYI: My BMR is 2294, and TDEE is 2752.

Thanks!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    As long as you are fulfilling all of your nutrient needs in that few of calories, the only real downside is that you're missing out on the opportunity to enjoy eating more food.

Some (myself included) would argue that consistently being well below your target can sometimes result in binging from depriving yourself for too long...but if it's only once in a while, no real harm done (again, assuming you're meeting all your nutrient needs).
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem before, as well. Some weeks, my appetite is low, other weeks its really high. I blame it on being a girl (ToM & cycle related), but guys may experience that as well.

From recent research on the subject, daily and sometimes even weekly variations don't have as much of an affect on metabolic rates as used to be thought. As long as you can average close to your caloric need, your metabolism should be fine.

Don't sweat a couple days here and there of not enough when your appetite (your body) tells you you don't really need it.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you're in the 1600 cal/day range, that's probably alright. You just don't want to be at too big of a calorie deficit. If you're consistently eating at 1200-1300 cal/day while you're metabolic capacity would allow you to lose weight at 1700-1800 cal/day, then you're metabolism will become reduced. The more you can eat while losing weight the better. It'll give you more room to make adjustments when you hit a plateau and set you up for better long term success.

Allan
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    1870 is easy to reach if you don't eliminate food from your intake.

If you normally hit 1500-1600 that leaves about 270 calories...eat a chocolate bar, or have a beer, or an ice cream bar/cone.

If you prefer the other route don't go for Light and low fat, go full fat, eat calorie dense foods like avocado, olive oil or peanut butter.