Does anyone feel like giving up counting calories

Options
I sometimes feel like giving up and go back to my old lifestyle of eating whatever I want and not worry about counting calories. But then again , i would end up ganing weight back.Does anyone feels the same?Like you are stricted

Replies

• CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All the time. Like 2 days after starting.

Don't give up. The only time I've actually successfully lost weight and kept it off has been counting calories with THIS program.

That's why I'm back. DON'T GIVE UP!!! It really does work.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope. I WILL succeed, I WILL do this!

ask me again tomorrow
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    If giving up means getting or being FAT then don't do it.

My Motto , Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels.

DONT GIVE UP !!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Sure, sometimes, but that's because I'm inherently lazy. Since I still eat all the same things, but just eat a specific amount instead of just eating when I'm "hungry" (because most likely I was eating when thirsty lol), it's really not difficult for me mentally.

ETA: I lied, I actually don't eat all the same things I ate before I joined MFP (after a probably 30-40lb gain) or that I ate when I first lost weigh 4 years ago. I actually eat all the same things I did as when I was fat 5 years ago, since I stopped viewing food as "good/bad" and just eat whatever I want to reach my protein minimum and get near my carb and fat macros. And eat within my calories of course.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I DID give it up, gained 50 lbs and now I'm back.
  • desjham
    desjham Posts: 18
    Options
    I felt that way on weight watchers. I recently quit for MFP because of all the exercise I started doing. Counting calories can be so flexible, don't give up!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, there are some days where I wish I could obliviously eat with abandon, with nary a care what passed my lips, thinking that my workouts would take care of it(like I used to) but the reality is I like the results that come from that far less than the results of just enjoying what I like to eat BUT being more mindful of it.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like giving up and go back to my old lifestyle of eating whatever I want and not worry about counting calories. But then again , i would end up ganing weight back.Does anyone feels the same?Like you are stricted

I follow the mantra of AA:

One day at a time.

Every morning I tell myself...TODAY I'm going to stick to my calorie counts and move my body.
    Then I repeat it the next morning. Sure there are days when I'd love to be able to eat to my hearts content and be a sloth...but THAT is what got me to almost 300 pounds and very unhappy and unhealthy.

Kind of the same thing with my old smoking habit. Sometimes I miss smoking, even knowing how horrible it was for me.
    Then I tell myself this " I'd rather be a non-smoker craving a cig, than be a smoker wishing I could quit".

Give yourself a pep talk!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Give up counting calories? yes. Give up eating less and moving more, no.
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes i do feel like giving up and that is why I have never reached my goal. I have successfully kept off 65lbs for 4years but have never reached my goal. I have 30 lbs to go now thanks to giving up and not finishing what i started.I was only 15lbs away.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't feel restricted at all. I eat all the yummy foods, just less than before, which happen to fall within my calorie goal. I actually like logging because it allows me to see patterns, or see if I'm lacking a macro, or if I have room for a little extra ice cream. I think logging is actually pretty fun.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    No. I still eat the foods I like, and MFP makes it easy to log and keep track of nutrients and calories. And if the scale suddenly bounces up for no apparent reason, I don't get upset - I know I haven't gained fat because I know how many calories I've been eating!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Nah; because then I would have to start all over again.
    I don't restrict to the point where I'm starving, and I do allow myself days when I go over and don't care. But I am never in a position where I feel that I want to give it up entirely. Balance is key.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories...but that doesn't mean I'm not mindful of what I consume. I don't need to count calories to eat appropriate foods in appropriate quantities...but I do have to be mindful...you can't just do whatever and expect anything good to come of it.

I don't count calories, but I eat very healthfully both in RE to quality and quantity and I move my *kitten*...
  • ksaranya
    ksaranya Posts: 50
    Options
    check out "thin woman's brain" book by dilia

http://www.thinwomanbrain.com/

May be you dont have to count calories?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't feel restricted at all. I eat all the yummy foods, just less than before, which happen to fall within my calorie goal. I actually like logging because it allows me to see patterns, or see if I'm lacking a macro, or if I have room for a little extra ice cream. I think logging is actually pretty fun.

this right here.
    it's like putting together the same puzzle day by day... and not winding up with missing pieces at the end when you hit those macros spot on.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I want to quit all the time, but I don't. I just push through. I have my bad days where I eat over or my bad weeks where I work out 3 days instead of the 5 I aim for. But I keep going. I want to be healthy, I want to feel good about myself, I want to be in shape. As the saying goes, I'm sick of starting so I'm going to stop quitting (or something like that).
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    sometimes I do but then I relaize that it beats being overweight and unhealthy
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sure, I often think I'd much rather just eat whatever crap I want whenever I want. I also wish I could just run away from lots of other responsibilities I have in order to keep my nice balanced happy life. But the internal dialogue does not end with those thoughts. That's just the 'seize this moment' voice speaking, the more rational long-term focused voice then joins the conversation and ensures I - usually - don't give in to the petulant whims of a voice that is not ever going to get me where I ultimately want to be.

Everyone has those give up thoughts. Work on your inner dialogue - that's where the real fight is won and lost.
  • Bearbo25
    Bearbo25 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I DID guve up last year. I had lost 30 lbs from July to November using MFP. I got really sick with severe pneumonia and was in the hospital for a week. After I got out I was so thankful to be alive (was a few really scary days in there) that I said "screw it" and went back to just eating whatever I wanted again. Of course I have gained all the weight back plus some and am now back to start over. I know I can achieve my goals because I did it before, but the fact that I now have to re-lose weight makes me never want to quit again. If I had just stuck it out and kept with it I could realistically be close to or at maintanence right now.