It's All About Your Mindset

I began using food as comfort as a child. Growing up with a sociopath, alcoholic father will do wonders for a young girl. In my mind, I've always wanted to be fit, but would never commit. I've been paying for a gym membership for myself and my son for longer than I'd like to admit, and never used it until just a few months ago. I signed up to MFP in 2011, but never really used it.

Just a few months ago, I weighed 362 pounds and found out had type 2 diabetes. Never having liked the thought of taking meds, I really decided that it's time to get myself in shape. So I got serious, started logging everything I ate, then I worked myself up to going to the gym. As the weeks have gone by, I've lost weight and seen my exercise endurance more than double.

About a month ago, I was fired from my job as a nonprofit director. They cut my staff from 5 down to 2 people, then fired me because I was $23,000 short of my annual fundraising goal. Gotta love it! Normally, that would be enough to send me to Wendy's for a chicken sandwich, fries and a frosty to ease my pain, but not anymore.

Now, the more weight I lose, the more it motivates me. I go to the gym 7days a week, I'm eating super healthy, drinking tons of water and when my son or mom ask me if I want to have a cheat day I think to myself, nothing tastes as good and being fit feels!

I haven't found a job yet, but I have lost 65 pounds and I feel great about the fact that I have finally made the paradigm shift that I wish I'd made 30 years ago.

It only took me until I was 47, but better late than never!

Replies

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Great post. I totally agree with your focus on changing your mindset. It is the part that people talk the least about although it matters the most. Keep up the good work and you will get there - one day at a time. :smile:
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 658 Member
    You've done so well!!! WTG!! A paradigm shift is exactly what it is! It just clicks and off you go! KUTGW and thanks for the encouragement!!
  • amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member

I think to myself, nothing tastes as good and being fit feels!

I love this statement! I'm going to use this as my mantra when I get tempted to make poor nutrition choices or get lazy. Keep up the good work.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    We share the same motto. Nothing taste as good as being healty feels !

Nothing beats facing premature death for motivation.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Your upbringing sounds awful. I had abusive neglectful parents. I think when they don't treat us right, we don't treat us right either. I have learned to take care of myself and put myself first instead of tending to everyone else. It is all about mindset, put yourself first, care about yourself and you can do this.
  • Sounds like you now have a healthy lifestyle and outlook on life. Keep it up!
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Thanks so much to everyone for the encouragement! With 137 pounds to go, it means a LOT!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!