Just Joined -- Excited Yet Angry

Options
So, I just heard about this site from the doctor at my job's onsite clinic. I have been on diet roller coasters for my entire life - losing and gaining hundreds of lbs. Over the past 4 years, I lost from 325 to 229. At 229, I stopped losing. Of course, I did not lose weight the healthy way - only losing weight be trying any combination of diet aids -- OTC. I met an amazing partner in March of this year. He had also recently lost a lot of weight. We both began an unhealthy regiment of eating at home - and eating things we should'nt. Although over the past few weeks I had noticed that my clothes no longer fit - I wouldn't break down and buy larger clothes. Well after going to the clinic and realizing that I had gained 37lbs, I was mortified. I cannot tell you how excited I was to hear about myfitnesspal. The doctor said she had been using this site for a few months and had lost 15lbs. She said you had to eat the # of calories or it would not work. I love how organized this site is -- and astonished at how many foods are available to select. Well - this is day one for me --and it looks like I have a long way to go - but hopefully here is to a new way of life for me :)

Replies

• mapinkerton
    Options
    WELCOME! I have only been here since last Wednesday, but I love this site. I have recommended it to several friends. One started using it yesterday. Sometimes angry is good! Use it to motivate yourself.

Mary
  • Evermyre
    Options
    Isn't word of mouth fantastic?! My roommate told me about it and I just joined last week, but I love it! I find the recipes section especially dangerous...but in a good way! I love to cook, but don't always think about what goes into something, just whether or not it tastes good. Reading the receipes made me realize things can be healthy and taste good! Good luck on your journey and remember we're all here to help if you need it!!
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    welcome! I'm here for support if you need it!
  • qtwells82
    Options
    Welcome to this site! I love it :)
    I have been using it for about 2 months and lost 15 pounds.

Good luck on your weight loss and healthy lifestyle! Im here if you need any support :flowerforyou:
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Just remember to plan ahead, think carefully and know you can add your own foods in here if they're not listed. Good luck.
  • _Sarah_
    Options
    Welcome to the group!!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Welcome to MFP
    This is a great site. Take the time to learn about all the great features and use them.
    You will succeed if you work hard and don’t lose sight of your goal.
    This site changed my life and it can change yours

Take it one day at a time
    Stay open minded to new ideas
    Take baby steps
    Drink lots of water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Think of this as a new way of life, not just a temporary diet.

It always helps me to log my food first before I eat so there are no surprises.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Find a group to be part of and check in with them every day. The best way to find a group is to go to the message boards and read a lot of the threads until you find a group that has what you want, then reply and say you want to join and then participate regularly with them and get to know them :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This site is great. Of course, you'll still hit plateaus from time to time. I'm on one now, which is driving me crazy, but there is so much support and so many good ideas to help you keep going. Welcome!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    welcome this site is awesome! stay healthy!
  • yourmamasaidwha
    Options
    you'll love it...i use it more and more every day...also: you can add what's on the packaging to get correct info if there's a food just not in the database...and, you can click recipes to put in your recipe and calculate everything...i love MFP
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. We're here for you! I heard about this site from another gal who left the site I was formerly at. This one is working much better for me. The other one was Eat this, Eat that, and Drink this and that. I did it for a bit but dang....it got pricey and I need "real" food. I needed to retrain myself most of all to make better choices and practice moderation and portion control. Need any help, give a holler!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou: that was a great intro letter!

There are many many success stories here. You will find answers to just about anything you could ask, and the forums are friendly.

Please read the sticky posts in the Community>General Weight Loss category.It will help you understand how your body works and how to lose weight and be fit.

Good luck!
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I think you will find this way of life totally different from any diet you have ever tried in the past. Remember to log in everyday as it takes 3 weeks to make it a habit:) Feel free to friend me if you would like! The more the merrier!
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    welcome!!! good luck on your journey, x
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    welcome to the site. if you need support...i'm here. it's a lifestyle change.