How to find time to prepare meals with a little one

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
Working mother pretty much on my own with a high demand 8 month old. Before I got pregnant I'd spend the time to prepare a lot of my foods cutting up veggies to snack on, making large soups for the week, and making meals that consisted of a large salad and a protein and starch.

I'm finding that with my little one he doesn't give me much time to prepare anything. I barely have time to throw a chicken into the crock pot let alone buy and prepare vegetables.

Is there anything I can do speed up prep time, entertain the baby for more than 15 minutes, or just any ideas? Not having the time is really affecting my progress.

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I had four kids in 5yrs (my oldest was 14 in July, my youngest 9 last weekend). Prep as much as you can on Sunday during nap time. Pre-cook a couple lbs of chicken breast, chop and portion veggies, pre-cook rice and potatoes. All that shouldn't take more than an hour.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I agree with prepping on the weekend, or if needed then twice a week. Ingredient prep (cutting things up mostly) and cooking in bulk for things you eat regularly are helpful.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I get you, busy mama!!! I use nap time to prep dinner so that cooking dinner is merely shoving it in a pan or the oven or the crock pot. I also use the time immediately after bed time to pull anything for thaw and make my mental menu for the next day or so. My uncle preps his crockpot meal at night into a liner bag, sticks it in the fridge, and plops it in his cooker in the AM before he leaves - that might work for you, too.
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not working much right now, but things I have done when I was working and my children were really little are:
    * buy prewashed lettuce/mesclun
    * frozen veges - the stir fry mixes are quite nice, but you might have to try a few before you find what you like
    * fruit - things like strawberries, grapes, bananas are quick to grab for a snack (things like pineapple take longer and are a hassle)
    * canned tomatoes (and canned fruit) are good
    * if I was making dinner and the little ones were hungry, I would give them carrot sticks, celery, or pieces of apple to snack on - never mind if they don't have veg with their dinner, they've had it already.
    * allow yourself to buy your lunch (as opposed to packing it yourself to take to work), one or two days a week - just try to choose something reasonably healthy.

Hang in there, eventually children are big enough to help with meal preparation and that makes a big difference!
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time with my youngest, always wanted holding soon as i touched a pot, pan, knife you name it.
    It was the touch for him, my solution, wear a sling. He would hang out on my back chatting and hugging and playing with my hair while I sliced and diced and chatted back. Eventually he decided his brothers, toys pets, or what not were more interesting and moved on after not too long. It was not the most convenient solution but it worked for awhile and kept food on the table.

i also take a few days vacation every 3 months and do some freezer cooking, that way i always have Marinated meat and casseroles on hand and they just need defrosting.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    At that age I had a carrier (a Beco), my son would ride in on my back while I cooked. Otherwise doing as much as you can ahead while the baby is sleeping.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I am awful! I buy things like frozen chimichangas, frozen burritos and lasagnas. Easy.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I have 2 little ones at home and these are things that work for me: lots of quick salads & eggs, cook a whole lb of beans at a time & use in different dishes, make big pots of soups/sauces/veggie burgers & freeze leftovers, always have a bag of pre-washed greens on hand to toss into whatever, have cottage cheese or nuts for quick & filling snacks... or grabbing a pizza or - gasp - fast food if I'm really in a pinch :)