Mama needs some new running shoes!

Options
Hi All!

So, I've finally worn through my old runners and need new ones. The only problem is that I have absolutely no idea where to start. My old ones were my first pair that I bought specifically for the gym. They came from walmart and were basic running shoes by new balance. Do you lovely people have any recommendations for a good, durable, inexpensive and comfy runner?? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    of all the thousands and thousands of miles Ive ran Ive never been happier with any shoe than I am with my Asics but they cost around $100. If you really want good advice though, google a running store near you and they will have you try shoes on and watch you run in them, they will watch the way your foot falls, the way your knees and ankles roll in or out and give you advice on running shoes that are better for you
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do you lovely people have any recommendations for a good, durable, inexpensive and comfy runner??

Just to clarify, are you actually talking about running in them, or do you just use them on machines in the gym?

If the former, then I'd recommend getting to a decent running shop and finding one that's appropriate for your gait, if the latter then I have no real view.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I second the opinion on going to a "running store". I went for my first time ever about a month ago. It was great! They measured my feet looked at my arches, had me try on numerous pairs of shoes and actually RUN in them. I was scared about how much this whole experience was going to end up costing once I reached the cash register, but I was quite shocked. I ended up with Adidas shoes (something I have never once tried in my life!) and just over $100 with a 30 day total money back guarantee. I have been thrilled with the difference in my running with my new shoes and have alleviated a hip problem that was what prompted me to get new shoes in the first place. I wish I could get such service and expertise when buying all my shoes. P.S. If you do go, remember to wear a running bra. Ha ha, I forgot and I am sure the salesman was thinking, "Lady, it is not your shoes, you have other issues!"
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    Go to a running store! Stay away from any of the big box ones like Sports Authority. I got talked in to purchasing a pair of $160 Brooks and my feet ended up hating them after a couple runs and the store would not take them back. I think the gal that helped me was just wanting to make a big sale.

Now I am stuck with expensive NOT good for me running shoes.

I hear good things about Acics and Brooks may work for some people but they were not for me.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I will add to the chorus suggesting a running store. I have a lot of feet issues and they have helped. Try on as many as you can.

I just got a pair of Mizuno's and I love them. Several reviewers mentioned them being narrow in the heel and they do...which makes them great.
  • AtomicOvary
    AtomicOvary Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    P.S. If you do go, remember to wear a running bra. Ha ha, I forgot and I am sure the salesman was thinking, "Lady, it is not your shoes, you have other issues!"
    Hahaha!! Great advice. I never would have thought of that. Has anyone had any experience as far as how LONG shoes last depending on brand or type? I'm also on the market for new running shoes.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Go to your local running store and get fitted:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/store-finder
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any experience as far as how LONG shoes last depending on brand or type?

Generally 300-500 miles, although that depends on your weight, terrain and gait.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like Newtons.