GOING OUT TO DINNER

JOY621
JOY621 Posts: 71 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Hello,
I am going to eat at Marie Callender's for dinner tonight. I checked their menu and calories. Almost everything is over 500 calories. I really don't want to eat petite size salad in front of people. I want to eat a regular meal around 300 calories. Any suggestions, please?

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Don't worry about what the other people think.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,546 Member
    Order one of those 500 calorie dinners that really sound good to you (don't waste your calories on something you won't enjoy) and immediately box half of it up to take home. Drink a ton of water with lemon and that will keep you full and from reaching for nibbles on the table. Then you have lunch for tomorrow ready to go! I really mean it about eat something you will enjoy. I go out once a month with friends for lunch and the first few times I was on this lifestyle change, I'd order stuff because it sounded healthy not because it sounded good and I'd be soooo disappointed. You can also get a quick workout in to make some extra room for your dinner. Have fun!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Grilled salmon gets my vote... just don't eat all of it if you want to stick to 300 calories or so.

I really like how you can customize your meal with their nutrition calculator... maybe play around with that and plan on boxing up part of the meal to take home for later.
  • netter43
    netter43 Posts: 110 Member
    we went out for a holiday dinner the other night and I just made sure I got a little workout in the morning even if it is just 15-20 minutes and I ate a few less calories during the day - I ordered tenderloin and baked potato and was so full I couldn't even finish my steak. I actually came in at or below my calories for that day. Keep in mind most everyone else was eating off of the buffett that had fantastic looking food on it!!. It is possible if you just plan a little and if not, well get back on track the next day. Best of luck and enjoy your dinner!!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Order one of those 500 calorie dinners that really sound good to you (don't waste your calories on something you won't enjoy) and immediately box half of it up to take home. Drink a ton of water with lemon and that will keep you full and from reaching for nibbles on the table. Then you have lunch for tomorrow ready to go! I really mean it about eat something you will enjoy. I go out once a month with friends for lunch and the first few times I was on this lifestyle change, I'd order stuff because it sounded healthy not because it sounded good and I'd be soooo disappointed. You can also get a quick workout in to make some extra room for your dinner. Have fun!

This! Hell...when you order the meal, ask the waiter/waitress to bring out half of it all ready boxed up. Then, you won't even be tempted to eat it all there.

I've even found that some establishments have half-portions upon request. They don't always list it on the menu, so ask.
  • I found a good way to compromise when i go out is to get something I really want with a side salad. I don't like most low-cal dressings (not a fan of the vinaigrette) so I'll order salsa instead of dressing. Tasty!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Agree with Road Dog. But you're not going to find anything <300, but in the 300-500 range? A soup + salad combination (avoid cheeses/heavy sauces).
    A slight indulgence would be the grilled atlantic salmon or grilled lemon chicken (w/ veggies, no rice) ~520 calories.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    order a chicken breast meal and dont eat the potatoes or whatever fattening side they give you. just eat the chicken and veggies. You can ask that they prepare your meal a certain way or ask them not to bring the unhealthy sides out. I also make changes to the meal, i ask for no sauce on a sandwich, extra veggies and brown bread. At chines I ask for my veggies to be sauteed in chicken broth instead of oil.
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Or save 500 cals for dinner & enjoy : )
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    if it is something around 500 and you would really like to have it, don't be too hard on yourself.

eat it. JUST EAT HALF OF IT :flowerforyou:

that is what i did last night. we met friends out and i got a petite steak and some "healthy" sides.
    and actually, i couldn't even have eaten the whole thing if i would of tried. so i took half of it home. i incorporated it into
    my lunch for today. YUM!

or get something you want, like a main entree and substitute your sides with a salad or baked potato.

you'll do great! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.