How many calories am i really burning?

Options
I use an elliptical at the gym 3 days a week (4 if i'm up early enough on Saturdays). Each gym visit, i run 45-48 min on the elliptical and it's workout summary shows:

6.00+ miles (i always strive for 6 miles)
45-48 min
570-600 calories burned
Avg heart rate is usually around 170-180

Depending on which model elliptical i use, i get different readouts. The smaller ones tend to show more calories burned (i think the stride is shorter too), but i feel the workout is a bit easier on them. They all ask for my weight and age. I set the level to "Fat Burn" and leave it be, and very rarely do i feel resistance when i'm really into the workout. I always stay above 6mph, and sometimes hit 9mph when i'm singing along to a fast song ;)

Anywho, MFP shows i burn like 711+ calories in that time, a calorie counter/website i found (http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm) shows i burn 924.45 in that time, yet the machine itself is always between 550-600. Should i just go with what the machine tells me since it's the lowest figure (which according to some posts is opposite of what others are seeing), or purchase a HRM for better results? I told my wife she could get me a HRM for Christmas, and she asked what difference it would make since the machines have them built-in at the gym. Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    The machines sound accurate here (unless you are like 350 lbs or something, then it probably should be more), though, the machines at my gym always said like 829 and my HRM more like 450... so on some there is a BIG difference (and theses even asked for age and weight!) MFP count is based on someone elses, or a generic, fitness level and age /weight so it may be more accurate for some.

I am a HUGE fan of my HRM, but I wear it many places other than on machines. Class, playing in the snow, walking, housecleaning, etc. It might not be worth it if you just do the machines and it sounds like they are w.in about 100 cals either way. I'd log the low # and just watch how your body feels on what you are eating with those #s. Really, when we get within 100 cals here or there - there's no exact science (the way we do it at least) to get all your calories to the dime. I'd say log the low end and consider that possible extra 100 as a safety net for any possible unnoticed eating or undermeasuring during the day on your food.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue. the machines i use tend to have very large per hour calorie count, and I really felt they were overestimating the amount of calories I'm actually burning. when I enter the time on the MFP exercise tracker, I cut in half the amount of calories it indicates I've burned. I recently bought a HRM, and the machines are on the mark for my heart rate, but I still have to figure out how to use the calories burned part of it..
    Just my opinion but I really feel MFP overestimates the calories burned.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    i agree that it sounds like the machines are probably more accurate but it couldnt hurt to have an HRM as well. the thing about the HRMs on the machines is that they only read when you hold on to them and if you're anything like me you only hold on to the HRM part about half the time. but having the HRM on your wrist (or chest if you prefer wearing it that way) is a constant reader for the whole time and you dont have to worry about where you put your hands. you can also wear it when and if you do any other exercises that arent on a machine.
  • takirb
    takirb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    the thing about the HRMs on the machines is that they only read when you hold on to them and if you're anything like me you only hold on to the HRM part about half the time...

Actually, the machines i use are configured to check for your HR every minute, and if you aren't holding on for it to register, it pauses the entire session (found that out the hard way, that was a good 20 min that wasn't registering on my workout). So i've gotten used to holding onto the monitored bars for about 90% of the time i'm on it :(

I'll keep logging the machine's calorie count, thanks for the information everyone!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I always wonder about this too. I don't really want to spring for a HRM though, as I'm not really a big cardio buff. Some of the numbers on MFP really do seem inflated, though.

Shannon