Protein and fat and carbs

Options
HM2206
HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
How did you set your macros? Meaning what background do you have for choosing how much carbs or protein or fat you should have per day? Is it just set from what you like, adjusted to your goals or...?

I'm trying to eat a lot of healthy fats and protein and minimize the amount of carbs as I experience that I can feel fuller on less calories. But is it healthier too?

Can you theoretically eat only fat and lose weight as long you stay within your calories? Are there any complications in regards to eating very few carbs?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have my macros set to 40/30/30 as that covers my fat and protein needs.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    How did you set your macros? Meaning what background do you have for choosing how much carbs or protein or fat you should have per day? Is it just set from what you like, adjusted to your goals or...?

I'm trying to eat a lot of healthy fats and protein and minimize the amount of carbs as I experience that I can feel fuller on less calories. But is it healthier too?

Can you theoretically eat only fat and lose weight as long you stay within your calories? Are there any complications in regards to eating very few carbs?

I did Protein and carbs higher, with a lower fat. IIFYM.com ..... it will help you out.

You can eat more fats and lose weight.... but, you will be eating not very often since fat is double in caloric content as compared to carbs and protein. Weight loss depends on a CALORIC DEFICIT.... not your macros %'s....

So with that being said..... play around with the %'s, and find what YOU enjoy and your body responds well to daily and while training. It's different for us all.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Its all personal preference. Set your protein as priority (that's not to say eat mainly protein - 0.7 - 1g of protein per lb of LEAN MASS) aim for the higher end of that range if you are older than about 50, Lifting heavy or HIIT regularly or recovering from injury.

Then whatever calories you have left split them between fat and carbs (all personal preference).

Mine are set (approx.) at 20 carbs / 30 protein / 50 fat.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I use IIFYM, loosely. .35g/pound of body weight for fat, 1g protein/pound of lean body mass, carbs are the leftover.