Whey Protein Powder for a 10 year old?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I don't think the protein powder is an issue in addition with a healthy diet. If you're concerned about it though, but want him to continue staying full, maybe he needs more protein in the mornings. Peanut butter or eggs are often a good option, and eggs take maybe 5 minutes to cook, or you can hard boil some the night before. He's getting to a peak growing age though and will be putting on a more muscle when he hits puberty, so I'm pretty sure the protein would only be helpful to a growing boy.

Speaking of peak growing age, my son who will be 12 in a little over a month, has shot up about 4" this year (with 4 months to go), and is now 1/8" shy of 5'5" and wears a men's 9.5 running shoe. However, I cannot get weight on him. He eats plenty, but weighs a whopping 93lbs of gorgeous scrawniness, lol. I occasionally bulk up his yogurt (and the other kids, particularly my 14yo freshman volleyball player who engages in a good 10+ hrs of hard physical activity a week) with protein powder, as an ADDITION to a balanced diet.

So, my opinion is... real food first, protein powder as it's meant to be used, as a supplement, not replacement.
  • PMA140
    PMA140 Posts: 60
    Options
    My son is 4. About once a week he asks for a "milkshake" for breakfast. This consists of a scoop of protein powder, a full banana, and a little ice. He loves it and thinks it's a special treat.
    I wouldn't let him have that every day but I don't see anything wrong with it for your son on occasion. Maybe one or two days a week for breakfast. It's a lot better than sending him off with a pop tart and if it keeps him full and happy until lunch then he can worry about learning instead of his belly. :-)
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I share a protein shake with my 4 year old almost every morning. The girl loves it! She eats a well balanced diet. I am happy she drinks them with me!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Double check with his doctor. I don't see how it could hurt - but I wouldn't recommend letting him drink it without a doctors okay.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so sad. How about just giving them a balanced diet yep I know a pretty off the wall idea but it's worked for children for generations so maybe it could work now

Perhaps because he seems to refuse to eat most things she's tried?

If it comes down to a protein shake or Twinkies/chips/soda/whatever he can get his hands on on the way to/at school for breakfast, I'll give my kid the protein shake any day.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm not a child nutritionist but I don't think this is necessary for a 10 year old. I would speak with a child nutritionist if you are concerned about your child's macro targets.

If you want your kid to not be fat I recommend keeping them active and not on the xbox all day. After school sports and activities can help with that.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I will agree that a nutritionally balanced diet is the correct path but I see no issue in whey protein shakes. Ensure you read the label to ensure that you are giving him what you think you are giving him. Setting a good example with your diet and exercise is always a good move but not always taken by children. They like what tastes good and that more times then not is food that is bad for us. Look for alternatives to help him get on the correct path. I give my 10 year old whey protein to help him gain for football. Unfortunately for him, he has my metabolism which burns everything and keeps him thin.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I give my four year old son Vega One protein powder in his milks one to three times a day because he's a picky eater. I think it's good for him, and I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would just make sure you're getting good quality protein powder.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just another source of food. It is not medicine. It is only called a nutrition supplement for marketing purposes. It is a food product like any other. I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

But I would suggest consulting with your pediatrician before making it part of his diet. Just simply because this is the internet and it really isn't the place to discuss health concerns.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Pediasure....its almost the same thing, but geared towards children. They have one to gain weight and one to help with those children who have unhealthy eating habits. Its full of vitamins and may do the same for him. I used to give it to my daughter when she was little and didn't want to eat an actual breakfast (eggs, toast, etc) I always encouraged food with it. They come in a few different flavors too.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    And, honestly I'd try to encourage him also to eat a balanced breakfast - my daughter doesn't have much of an appetite right after she wakes up, but within about 10 - 15 mins her tummy's talking to her, so she has a choice of cereal or frozen pancakes w/fruit.

Have you ever looked at the macro breakdown for a bowl of oatmeal and a scoop of protein powder? It's basically 34% carb, 33% fat, 33% protein. It really doesn't get more balanced than that.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so sad. How about just giving them a balanced diet yep I know a pretty off the wall idea but it's worked for children for generations so maybe it could work now

Well that's a great IDEA in theory, but the reality of feeding kids isn't always how we want it to go sometimes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Perhaps because he seems to refuse to eat most things she's tried?

I haven't parented much (I have some experience having been a full time live in caregiver to young children)... but I kind of thought the adults made the rules.

We had "you get to leave the table when you're done eating rules" and that was that.

When did kids start dictating the food??
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    In the UK most protein powder has not for under 16s on the label.

Most people in the western world get roo much protein as it is I don't think subsituting food with drinks is a good idea but your child your choice.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Most people in the western world get roo much protein as it is I don't think subsituting food with drinks is a good idea but your child your choice.

Wow! Stereotype much? On a good day, I'm lucky to get 20% protein. I think you mean people in the western world get too many carbs.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will hurt him. I would insist that he mix it with fruit and either milk, yogourt or almond milk. The guy at our local Protein Powder Bar (I know it has a name but can't remember it!) told me that whey powder is perfectly fine for kids, he was adding it to almond milk and giving it to his kids from a very young age.

Encourage your son to try and eat real food in the morning when he can. Make up a egg muffin, English muffin, egg and cheese with some spinach and turkey bacon or lean ham. You can make them in advance and freeze, they heat up fast in the microwave and are very portable for taking to eat on the trip to school.

Hopefully he will start eating at breakfast.

I disagree with the poster who said we get too much protein, the North American diet is very protein poor actually, along with other healthy foods. i know I thought I was getting enough protein, turns out I was barely getting half of what I should be getting!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Wow! Stereotype much? On a good day, I'm lucky to get 20% protein. I think you mean people in the western world get too many carbs.

I actually think I remember reading something that said we tend to get a lot of protein compared to the rest of the world- I don't think it's all that left field.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    From BBC news

'
    Many people add protein to their diet using powders and shakes, but how much protein do we actually need each day?

For an easy measure, one protein portion should be roughly the size of your palm, according to US health experts.

In the UK, adults are advised to eat 0.75g of protein for each kilogram they weigh, based on the Reference Nutrient Intake (RNI). So if you weigh 70kg (11 stone), you should eat about 52.5g of protein a day.

On average, men should eat 55g and women 45g of protein daily. That’s about 2 palm-sized portions of meat, fish, tofu, nuts or pulses.

But most people find it very easy to eat a lot more. Men and women in the UK eat about 45-55% more protein than they need each day, according to the National Diet and Nutrition Survey.

Eating up to twice the current RNI for protein is generally thought to be safe, but nutritionist Dr Helen Crawley says: "There is certainly no benefit to having very high protein intakes, and individuals who require high energy intakes for whatever reason should consider how to increase energy intake without increasing protein intakes excessively." '
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Okay... first off, I don't use media outlets for nutritional advice.

Secondly, nothing about that article supports your opinion that people of the Western world eat too much protein.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Okay... first off, I don't use media outlets for nutritional advice.

Secondly, nothing about that article supports your opinion that people of the Western world eat too much protein.

This was after a quick search this covers the UK obviously we have a better diet than the US.