Exercies for the non active soul.

Options
Hey everyone. I have a desire in me to become more active, but I have several physical ailments that stand in my way.

Severe asthma
Arthritic knees and ankles
Extreme overweight at this point

Anyone have any good suggestions to help me become more active?

My final goal is to compete and finish a 5k.

Replies

• ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    Have you tried looking into SS+GOMAD?
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Leslie Sansome DVDs? They are on YouTube for free. It is basically walking on the spot with a few kicks etc thrown in to raise the heart rate. I thought it sounded boring as h*ll before I tried one but it's actually quite fun and it got my heart pumping (and I 'd be used to running/elliptical etc). It's a great place to start if you have injuries or are overweight as it is all low impact.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Walking? It's low impact, simple, cheap and you don't need equipment. I'd start there.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    Have you tried the Leslie Sansome DVDs? They are on YouTube for free. It is basically walking on the spot with a few kicks etc thrown in to raise the heart rate. I thought it sounded boring as h*ll before I tried one but it's actually quite fun and it got my heart pumping (and I 'd be used to running/elliptical etc). It's a great place to start if you have injuries or are overweight as it is all low impact.
    She has arthritic knees + she's overweight.
    And you're telling her to run?
    She's going to hurt herself.
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    DDP

Oops... :smile:
  • jazzie_red
    Options
    Swimming is easy on the joints. But I know it can be hard to find a pool in some places. I have heard that activity and movement can actually ease arthritis pain.
  • cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How about a recumbent bike? easy on the joints, and you can put as much or as little effort to suit your needs, especially being asthmatic
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Maybe I missed something, but suggesting GOMAD for someone looking to lose weight seems backwards to me.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    While it is true that short-term effect will be gain weight, she'll develop her CNS and gain lots of strength, which will allow her to do lift heavy while cutting.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Maybe I missed something, but suggesting GOMAD for someone looking to lose weight seems backwards to me.

You're not missing anything - it's backwards. As is SS for arthritic knees.

OP needs to start slow, with low impact, high-protein, and a caloric deficit.

Assuming you're sedentary now, I'd start with swimming, biking, or the elliptical with some lighter, upper-body weight training. Then move onto heavier weights and SS/SL in 6 months, if your knees are up to it.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Um, she's recommending walking DVDs. I used these when I was recovering from a lung infection and couldn't do much of anything else. It's not running by a long shot.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options

You're not missing anything - it's backwards. As is SS for arthritic knees.

OP needs to start slow, with low impact, high-protein, and a caloric deficit.

Assuming you're sedentary now, I'd start with swimming, biking, or the elliptical with some lighter, upper-body weight training. Then move onto heavier weights and SS/SL in 6 months, if your knees are up to it.
    If done in correct form, none of exercises in SS is going to have impact on her knees.
  • Rampage79
    Options
    First:
    Step 1: Talk to your doctor.
    Step 2: Calorie Reduction

Then:
    Step 3: Walking as people have suggested
    Step 4: Swimming pool, water aerobics, etc
    Step 5: Look into some yoga
  • jazzie_red
    Options
    Thank you for the Leslie walking links.

I used her before and I think this will be great for winter....
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am no longer an inactive soul, but I believe a best kept secret is a row machine. Affects so many joints and burns calories. You can go as slowly and smoothly as you want and increase as you get more toned. Easy on the joints unless you can't bend your knees. Good luck to you. Keep moving!
    Jean
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Swimming and or some sort of water exercise class would probably be your best bet if you can find something like that nearby. With arthritis in both knees and ankles, I would imagine even walking might be tough but you could try those walk away the pounds workouts - they are pretty great, especially for beginners. And the good thing about doing that at home is you can stop and rest or call it good for the day and not worry about how you're going to get back home! :)

Most of all, take baby steps, whatever you decide to do.

As far as your asthma, I would talk to your doc about that part. Will you be ok to exercise as long as you're taking your meds/inhaler and if so, how much would they recommend.

Weight loss is mostly about calorie deficit so keep up wtih the food logging and make the best choices you can. Good luck!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options

NO- absolutely do not run. Leslie Samsone is walking only and very low impact xx
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I am going to look into some water aerobics locally.

I am not sure about yoga.. I guess my thought processes on that is a little skewed from watching TV shows where people take yoga classes.

I WANT to be active. I have an active gene somewhere inside, and it is wanting to come out.

I am open to all suggestions, but know this.. I do NOT take well to criticism. If is constructive, make it in a way that doesn't seem down-putting (easiest way I know to explain). If I think you are talking down to me, or trying to insult me in anyway.. Well, I don't like it. As does anyone for that matter.
  • Rampage79
    Options
    http://youtu.be/bIXOo8D9Qsc
    Arthur's Transformation - DDP Yoga

Not endorsing the program, but more the motivation and drive to pick something and never give up. It could be any "program" that you select. But with hard work you can make it happen. It will not be easy.