Do you really need eight glasses of water a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    BTW, coffee and tea count toward hydration. It's a myth that caffeine is a diuretic. Several recent studies have confirmed this. Like this one:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

I mainly just drink water, sparingly I have a cup of skim or soy milk but usually it's just water.
  • SaintTawny
    SaintTawny Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eight GLASSES? No, but eight cups, you should at least try. An average drinking glass holds 12-16 oz of water, which is 1.5 - 2 cups. If you can't choke down 64 ounces of water each day I wouldn't stress out about it, especially if you eat a lot of fruit, but I'll say that I eat a good deal of fruit and "wet" foods and can still put away over 100 oz of water in a single day. I keep a 24-oz bottle with an ice pack in it with me throughout the day and I'll drain it at least 4 times a day just sipping at it here and there. I also don't count other fluids like coffee and milk in that volume. A month ago I was having difficulty getting to 64 oz daily but now I can get there before 3 PM some days without thinking about it. It curbs my appetite and gives my mouth something to do when I'm not hungry but would otherwise be snacking unnecessarily.

My advice is just to try sipping throughout the day to the extent that you're able. If you can't keep a water bottle close to you throughout work it might not be so easy, but I definitely feel better when I've had at least 64 oz of water.