Is this an okay lunch?

Options
Sorry for the annoying food posts, still getting the hang of this....I'm on 1600 cals per day.

For lunch I was planning:

1 Arnold Sandwich Thin (whole wheat)
1.7 ounces boars head reduced sodium roast beef
1 slice weight watchers american single
Lettuce
yellow onion diced

With a side of no salt pretzels and a pickle, this turned out to be 368 cals, 45g carbs, 16g fat and 22 G protein.

I think I'll take out the pickle because I just realized how much sodium that adds to the meal. I'll replace that with carrot sticks. But does everythg else look okay? Too much fat for one meal? I'm trying to eat 50g of fat or less according to MFP but that seems high for every day. Should I cut down the fat goal?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd probably be starving two hours later, but I guess it depends on how many snacks you're having too.
  • rianna412
    Options
    I'd probably be starving two hours later, but I guess it depends on how many snacks you're having too.

It's actually usually pretty filling for me. I had a decent breakfast and I snack on apples/tbs peanut butter, and some veggies throughout the day. I'm usually good until dinner :)

I'm more just concerned if 16 g fat and 300 some odd calories are too much for one meal?
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat the sodium in a pickle. Just drink more water.
    Your lunch as a whole sounds good. I wouldn't worry too much about individual meals. Just keep an eye on your calories for the day/week and ensure your meals fit into your macros. Good luck!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

It's actually usually pretty filling for me. I had a decent breakfast and I snack on apples/tbs peanut butter, and some veggies throughout the day. I'm usually good until dinner :)

I'm more just concerned if 16 g fat and 300 some odd calories are too much for one meal?

I eat 500-550 calories per meal. this meal would leave me hungry much sooner.

Fat isn't evil.

Make your own choices for food.
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Just worry about the whole day. I hit nearly all of macros in my evening meal. The effect of meal timing will likely be negligible.
  • rianna412
    Options
    Thank you guys :) I'm definitely not afraid of fat, I'm just not sure how much I should have. I saw somebody on here say you shouldn't have more than 20-25 grams per day, so I was a little concerned that MFP has me on 50? I think it'll take me a while to figure this stuff out!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Try to look at your diet from a bigger picture/global perspective rather than picking apart individual meals. When you get that kind of tunnel vision you tend to drown in the minutia that is often irrelevant when you take a peak at the bigger picture.

What matters is hitting your goals overall...it doesn't matter if you have 300 calories or 1000 calories for lunch or any other meal...what matters is whether or not your hitting your goals overall. Also, dietary fat is an essential macro nutrient...dietary fat doesn't make you fat...you don't have to be afraid of dietary fat. I try to consume around 55 - 70 grams daily for proper nutrition (about 0.3 - 0.4 grams per Lb of body weight).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Judge your overall diet in terms off the Healthy Eating Plate: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

If I judge just this one meal by it's recommendations, it isn't the greatest. It's low on fruits and veggies, high on starchy, no-fiber carbs, and full of processed foods and their chemicals.

But the healthy eating plate is a goal to aim toward. You could change this meal to a sandwich of homecooked chicken, real cheese, and lettuce on whole grain bread, with carrot and celery sticks or grapes instead of the pretzels and it would be a lot better for you in terms of health.

So was it an okay lunch? Only you can answer that question. Is it good enough for you or should you aim higher?
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would beef up that meal with some soup or a big salad. It would not be enough for me personally, and no 300 calories is not a big meal at all.

If I were you and just starting out I would try and read some articles on nutrition and losing weight. I would be researching and I would probably not take advice from one anonymous user of MFP. Perhaps a visit with a Registered Dietician would be of benefit, you can ask your doctor about a referral. It might be worth the time and money for your health.
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    I think it all sounds good. EVERYBODY is different in what they need and what works for them.

Your getting some of your carbs from "good" carbs, whole wheat... The boars head meat is good stuff... no nitrates or antibiotics. I wouldn't over do it on the pretzles just because of the carb content but that is just me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'd just say that if it fills you up enough and you can fit it in your day, it's definitely an ok lunch.

I mean, heck, I had a 600 calories sandwich at lunch, so yeah.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Yep it's good! I like meals ranging anywhere from 140 cals to 900 cals. Just depends on how I'm feeling and how many snacks I know I have in my back pocket. Or how excited I am for dinner haha. Like today. Fish and green beans for lunch, blueberries, a banana, and a light yogurt for snacks and then off to a nice restaurant for a whole flat bread and half an appetizer for dinner!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think you could have improved it with some mustard and mayo, and please dont remove the pickle that's just criminal. A roast beef sandwich requires pickles.

Tomatoes also and maybe some pepperoncini, and I always think roast beef goes well with swiss, so I'd change to swiss. Then it would be an okay lunch to me.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I'd skip the bread, up the meat to 4 ounces and have a mini babybel or chunk of real (ie, non-American style) cheese, but that's personal preference. I'd also skip the unsalted pretzels, just because, bleh.

My lunch was 467 calories, contained 30 carbs(10 of which were fiber), 15 fat and 55 protein. I ate it 3 hrs ago and still feeling full, without having that overstuffed feeling, ya know.

But if you like it and it keeps you full for as long as you desire, go for it!

This is really about finding out what works for you, and doing that.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys :) I'm definitely not afraid of fat, I'm just not sure how much I should have. I saw somebody on here say you shouldn't have more than 20-25 grams per day, so I was a little concerned that MFP has me on 50? I think it'll take me a while to figure this stuff out!
    Sweet! Let me know how that affects your hormonal balance long-term! 50 should probably be a minimum.
  • rianna412
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I usually have fruit as a side with my meals but I've become aware of consuming too much sugar so now I'm afraid to do that! I definitely have to get used to eating more vegetables. I've always hated them and only really eat corn, broccoli, and onions...I need to find some good tasting veggie snacks!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    That's about what I eat, if not then a PB&J. But I eat the afternoon away too.

Lunch
    Aunt Millie's - Whole Wheat 90 Calorie Slimwich, 1 bun 90
    Oscar Mayer - Fully Cooked Bacon - 100% Real Bacon - Original Cut, 3 slices (18g) 80
    Market Pantry - Smoked Honey Turkey Breast Lunch Meat, 2 oz 70
    Kraft - Big Slice Pepper Jack Monterrey Jalapeno, 1 SLICE 90
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I just had practically the same lunch except I had 2.5 oz of Boar's Head roast beef. I didn't have cheese. Instead, I had 1/4 of an avocado. I tried to load up my sandwich with lettuce. I also used about a teaspoon of Annie's Naturals Roasted Red Pepper Dressing. It make a great sandwich flavoring. I had celery and carrots on the side.