cocktails?

Options

Replies

• ysaillard
    Options
    The best reference I've found is: http://getdrunknotfat.com/ I think they have a mobile app too.

I made mojitos with fresh mint out of my garden. Light rum, tonic water, lime juice, and "sugar" but artificial sweeter would work. Not too bad calorie wise, and lots of flavor
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Bacardi and Diet? You couldn't drink a worse drink full of sugar than a margarita!
    Piña coladas. Your argument is invalid.

J/k. I don't assign moral values to foods. Unless you mean that it is the least tasty of all the drinks full of sugar, and I missed that reading; sorry.

I don't drink, but this should be a good start (for your cocktail makeovers, not for me to start drinking!). http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/best-of-cocktails
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bourbon. Neat.

All sorts of win.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Bourbon. Neat.

All sorts of win.
    A nice, peaty, single-malt scotch, neat would be all sorts of win too. LMK how it turns out and I'll live vicariously.
  • mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can make a much fresher tasting, low cal margarita on your own. Experiment at home with fresh lime/lemon/oj and maybe a little sugar. You can use a sugar substitute, but I've banned those chemicals from my body when possible. Good luck!
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Drink clear! if its clear you are ok. use soda instead of tonic
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Yes please!

Oh... you're not handing out drinks? Well, then.

Tequila with anything always works for me. I love flavored waters (several brands have 0 calories) and some tequila with lime-flavored carbonated water is great! Add some real lime or mint, or use a different flavored water, to mix things up.
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend makes me this drink that I LOVE! Its 1 OZ Cucumber Vodka and 5 OZ fresh Watermelon juice. You can add a half teaspoon of honey if you want it sweeter...I LOVE THESE!!!

I will also use True Citrus (its all natural powder mix that is kinda like Crystal Lite but has Stevia in it instead of Aspartame) that comes in Lemonade, Peach Lemonade, Cherry Limeade, Raspberry Lemonade, and regular limeade. I use it as a mixer for Vodka and it is tasty and delicious :)
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    they make skinny margarita mix.

or just use fresh lime / lemon juice and a little bit of triple sec to mellow the tartness.

or just switch to spirit + diet soda or crystal light or club soda and lime wedge
    Exactly what I would have suggested! As for the tequila sunrise, the best you can do is to buy light OJ & skip the grenadine. It's 100% sugar. Guess that's just a Tequila Sun.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Bourbon. Neat.

All sorts of win.
    A nice, peaty, single-malt scotch, neat would be all sorts of win too. LMK how it turns out and I'll live vicariously.

Ditto all of this.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you, pick up a bottle of their margarita mix. It is yummy and not loaded with chemicals. Plus it's only like $3 a bottle, so if you don't like it, no biggie! Or you can make your own - fresh lime juice, tequila, triple sec/cointreau, and agave syrup - shake with ice and serve.

Another favorite is a tequila sea breeze - low calorie cranberry juice, fresh grapefruit juice, and tequila. Sooooo good. We have a grapefruit tree, so we do fresh juice, but I suppose you could use bottled grapefruit juice too; I wouldn't do a lower calorie one though, because it would probably be too sweet from artificial sugars, which would ruin the bitter/tart flavor.

If I'm out, I'll try to order a skinny drink if I want a cocktail - they usually have club soda as a filler so less calories. Typically though, I stick with white wine, because I like it and I can figure out the calories easier.
  • myemmaqt
    Options
    Freeze cubed watermelon overnight, mix with fresh lime juice, some agave if needed and a good tequila. Also sparkling wines (champagne, prosecco, cava) have less calories then red or whites.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    With gin, I'd try New Amsterdam. It's not fancy shmancy gin, but it actually has a really nice, subtle flavor. I like to make homemade lemonade with mint (you can control the amount of sugar and/or add an artificial sweetener), add club soda and gin, and boom; heaven. My friends that HATE gin love that drink.

Great suggestion. I don't really care for New Amsterdam, but that's because the flavor doesn't smack me in the face like others do and that's what I love about gin.

Comb 9 gin is also quite mellow - it's made with honeycomb and has a touch of sweetness.

Yeah, she said she doesn't like the piney flavor of gin. :D I will have to try that, it sounds amazing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    bourbon, show it a picture of an iceberg, and give it a sprig of mint.

The mint makes it a cocktail.
  • red2dot
    red2dot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like regular margaritas rocks too BUT have been sticking with tequilla/diet ginger ale with lime. Pretty tasty!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    If you drink diet soda, I sometimes make a lighter version of a grapefruit basil mojito with fresh basil, muddled with a splash of grapefruit juice (fresh or bottled), rum and a bit of Fresca. A more traditional mojito can be done with mint instead of basil, fresh lime juice, and diet Sprite (or other lemon/lime soda).
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    greyhounds (vodka and grapefruit juice) works for me.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If i go out and drink, i just ask for whatever flavor vodka i want + soda water. Roughly 90 calories, tastes like lightly flavored fizzy water. A lot better than the rum and coke i used to drink.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Bourbon. Neat.

All sorts of win.

that's my choice too. Or vodka with sf lemon soda
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Lots of great options here sorted by calorie to alcohol ratio:

www.getdrunknotfat.com