Anyone see a Nutritionist?

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
My buddy who I grew up with and go to the gym with has always been fairly in decent shape, however he says he sees a nutritionist about once every other month. He said some of his weight loss has contributed by the help of his nutritionist. He said you think you know or think your doing the right thing with your diet but she suggested a few minor tweaks and improvements that he claims resulted in weight loss for him.

Does anyone else see a nutritionist? I think for the most part I know what I need to do for my diet, I just have to stick to the plan. But then again maybe I am missing something?

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If it's not broken don't fix it, ie if you are happy with where you're at I'm not sure why you'd see a nutrionist unless you wanted confirmation that what you're eating is nutritionally sound.

I dragged my husband along to a nutritionist as he eats less than me but doesn't lose weight and he doesn't sleep very well at all. A full assessment was done about work, lifestyle, sleep, food, bowel habits etc and some minor changes were recommended. Things such as real fruit instead of tinned fruit with breakfast, lemon water before breakfast to kickstart digestion, less tea and more water, an extra serving of veges with dinner, chamomile before bed. Seems really simple but it took a nutritionist to tell him before he would make the changes. He's lost 8kg so far though unfortunately he's still not sleeping any better.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I saw one 15 years ago. Lost 30 pounds in like 6 months. Then gained it all back because I started working and couldn't bring my lunch and he never taught me how to eat normal food in moderation and I had to eat lunch out 5 days a week (it was a very strict diet that removed pretty much everything but yogurt and veggies the first week, then added back more foods every 2 weeks... and I had to stop before everything got added back).

So let's say I'm not overly fond of nutritionists.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else see a nutritionist? I think for the most part I know what I need to do for my diet, I just have to stick to the plan. But then again maybe I am missing something?

Nope. Not missing anything.

My insurance company wanted me to see one several years ago. Complete waste of time. It was like junior high health class, "This is a portion of meat, this is a portion of bread", etc.

There might be a point to them for some people, like if you really don't know how to read a nutrition label, don't know what a calorie is, etc. But, I think for most people anymore, the problem is an unwillingness to use their knowledge and not a lack of knowledge.

The "tips" you get are mostly questionable stuff like (with apologies): "Things such as real fruit instead of tinned fruit with breakfast, lemon water before breakfast to kickstart digestion, less tea and more water, an extra serving of veges with dinner, chamomile before bed."

Which really you could get from any number of Facebook or MFP groups.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think they're great if you can tell them what you need. If you say, "The doctor has put me on this obscure diet I know nothing about," they know the diet and can be a godsend. So extremely helpful.

Otherwise, I've found them to be annoying and unhelpful. Like someone else said, they're all, "This is meat. This is a vegetable. Milk is a dairy product." Mine also (like the lazy doctor I had) didn't believe me and kept implying that I was lying because according to the numbers, I should be losing weight.

When it got to the point where I was saying, "Yes, I know. I'm starving myself and I'm not losing weight, which is why I came to you people in the first place!", I knew it was time to give up on them, :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i saw one, i was majorly disappointed. she was super old school in her techniques and was unwilling to adapt her approach to work with me.

I'm sure if i shopped around i could find one that would be willing to work with modern technology (i.e. mfp to track rather than a notebook) and would adopt my plan to weigh foods rather than use the "palm sized serving of chicken", but i really didn't want to spend any more money finding someone to tell me i was doing it right already.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Like all 'experts', there are good and bad ones, I guess .. I mean look at all of the food stories in the press (or on these forums!!!!!), from qualified folks and how they don't agree with each other ... Not a huge shock as Nutrition doesn't seem to be an 'Exact' Science.....

I guess that you are more likely to agree with their advice if it 'somewhat' matches your own 'theories' from the start.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    If all the nutritionists and dietitians disappeared for five years, the world would be unaffected.

Is that cruel?

I think you're right .. they would be on the B-Ark
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Nutritionist, I would not see. I would however, see a Dietician as they are required to have a higher education/degree. If you decide to see a nutritionist I would ask for their credentials.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If you have a specific reason for seeing one, then by all means. I saw a holistic nutritionist just over a year ago for due to some digestive issues I was having. At that point I was eating fairly healthy, having digestive issues when I thought I shouldn't be, and couldn't seem to drop the last 10 pounds. She took a look at my diet, at my lifestyle, and suggested a number of supplements. Long story short, 3 or 4 sessions over a period of about 6 months, I had cleared up my digestive problems, cleared up my adult acne, and busted through the last 10 pounds and then some. I've continued her advice and am now maintaining after losing an additional 15 pounds.

As others have said, it's not for everyone. If you think there's just something not right about your diet, then try one out. It's harmless... if you're fairly happy and comfortable about where you're at and where you're going, then continue with what you're doing. I certainly wouldn't see one every month unless you really need someone to keep you on track.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    If all the nutritionists and dietitians disappeared for five years, the world would be unaffected.

Is that cruel?

But the phone sanitizers definitely go on the A-Ark this time...
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

Is that cruel?

But the phone sanitizers definitely go on the A-Ark this time...

:-)