Intermittent fasting, opinions?

Options
Does anyone else do this? I will admit I do this three times a week. I'm also a vegetarian.

Replies

• abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm sure many do it without even realizing it....I fast 35.5 outta every 36 hrs, feed for 12 then, and then redo the cycle....
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    I typically do working out in the mornings.

Breakfast, no lunch, and dinner.

If anything I between its a green apple. I really only do this because I have a small appetite.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    No I like food
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    whats the difference between fasting and starving yourself?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I do IF but it doesn't mean not eating, I eat all my calories just in 1-2 meals. If your diary is accurate you need to seek counseling.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I use IF as a tool for scheduling my calories in a shorter window to allow me the flexibility to eat bigger meals and stay within my caloric budget, as well as to pick up any potential bonuses that some research points to like improved cell repair, better nutrient partitioning, etc.
    Calories and macros still matter, IF just is a way of arranging your day and/or week.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

With IF (lean gains style) you eat the same amount of food as you normally would but in a smaller time frame. So for example if your daily calorie allowance is 2000 calories you still eat that amount but only in an 8 hour (variable between people) window. For me I only eat between 1pm and 9pm so I skip breakfast and lunch is my first meal of the day.

Starving yourself is just calorie restriction
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Editing my comment awayyyyy!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I do IF but it doesn't mean not eating, I eat all my calories just in 1-2 meals. If your diary is accurate you need to seek counseling.

This. Your calorie intake is worryingly low. IF is not an excuse to under eat - it's actually the opposite for most people - a chance to eat bigger meals.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options

With IF (lean gains style) you eat the same amount of food as you normally would but in a smaller time frame. So for example if your daily calorie allowance is 2000 calories you still eat that amount but only in an 8 hour (variable between people) window. For me I only eat between 1pm and 9pm so I skip breakfast and lunch is my first meal of the day.

Starving yourself is just calorie restriction

oh ok thanks
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is NOT eating under/around 1200 calories 5 days a week .....with 2 fast days.

Intermittent fasting IS eating around TDEE (maintenance) 5 days a week .....with 2 fast days of 500 each (for women).

I just started actual intermittent fasting. ....the 5:2 version. I'm trying to lose weight and keep lean muscle. A 1200 diet + 2 fasting days is just plain unhealthy.

There are intermittent fasting groups here. If you are interested in a "real" version of the diet.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is NOT eating under/around 1200 calories 5 days a week .....with 2 fast days.

Intermittent fasting IS eating around TDEE (maintenance) 5 days a week .....with 2 fast days of 500 each (for women).

I just started actual intermittent fasting. ....the 5:2 version. I'm trying to lose weight and keep lean muscle. A 1200 diet + 2 fasting days is just plain unhealthy.

There are intermittent fasting groups here. If you are interested in a "real" version of the diet.

5:2 is the new "popular" way of fasting. Despite the fact that it is VERY similar to Eat stop eat which was written by Brad Pilon years earlier. People don't like to read though, they wait until there is a BBC documentary for proof.

P.S 16/8 ish here. Energy balance is about a million times more important than amount of time fasted in regards to weight change.

OP: inadequate calories and protein unless you are about 4'6"
  • Kaelakcr
    Options
    Does anyone else do this? I will admit I do this three times a week. I'm also a vegetarian.

You're eating below the range you need to be eating at. You should not have a 1200 calorie deficit unless you are being watched VERY carefully by your doctors. Please take my word for this; this sort of intake almost killed me. I still struggle today, almost three years later. It's really freaking hard to eat enough for some people. But no, it isn't normal to hate yourself sometimes. It isn't normal to eat 800-1200 calories a day while burning 3000-5000. That isn't healthy. Your body will start eating your organs to survive.

Please look up something called Orthorexia. If you don't believe you have anorexia, please look them both up and consider seeing a therapist, or at least a dietitian. Most insurance companies will cover it if your doctor asks them to.

Good luck, and please don't hesitate to message me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

5:2 is the new "popular" way of fasting. Despite the fact that it is VERY similar to Eat stop eat which was written by Brad Pilon years earlier. People don't like to read though, they wait until there is a BBC documentary for proof.

P.S 16/8 ish here. Energy balance is about a million times more important than amount of time fasted in regards to weight change.

OP: inadequate calories and protein unless you are about 4'6"

Using the Mosley book. Haven't watched the documentary. 5:2 fits better (or at least I think it does). Can't really see eating breakfast (or dinner) at my desk.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

No. You aren't doing intermittent fasting. Either you got it seriously wrong or you are using it as an excuse to justify your low calorie amounts.

I'm going to put this link out just in case:

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • Kaelakcr
    Options

No. You aren't doing intermittent fasting. Either you got it seriously wrong or you are using it as an excuse to justify your low calorie amounts.

I'm going to put this link out just in case:

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources

Good resources here. Check out NEDA.org if you're in the US and sometimes they can help with the cost of treatments or therapy. They also have a wonderful help line.
  • DameonMacleod
    DameonMacleod Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is the best tool for losing weight and building a persons control over what he or she eats. Fasting puts the body in a state of fat burn because it is now using stored body fat as fuel. Then breaking the fast you take in high amounts of lean proteins to keep the body from eating stored muscle. You will only look at it as starving your self if you have an defeated attitude about things and are looking for excuses to stay idle and back out of doing extra work to reach that next goal or level. stop being weak, lets be strong people and give things a legit chance. I did it and iv lost 60lbs faster than i did when i was on a so called normal diet.
  • freedomwriter88
    freedomwriter88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Not judging, just curious.

I was told by my doctor that eating 5/6 small meals (or three small meals, and two to three healthy snacks) is better than eating everything in big meals. (Keeps sugar levels normal, and metabolism going.)

Your weight loss is amazing, so I am just curious about your philosophy.

Feel free to answer in message if you wish!
  • freedomwriter88
    freedomwriter88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I typically do working out in the mornings.

Breakfast, no lunch, and dinner.

If anything I between its a green apple. I really only do this because I have a small appetite.

800-900 calories a day is bad, if that's your normal/average intake.

From your picture, you seem to be at/near a healthy weight, and nothing that drastic has to be necessary.

If your goal is to gain muscle/tone up, you need calories to do that.

I am learning to view food as a fuel, so I don't let it control me. Perhaps, you should try to view it as fuel, so you are more comfortable consuming the calories necessary for a healthy lifestyle.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    IFer here 16/8 version. It's easier to plan two meals instead of three. For both bulking and cutting. Women are supposed to do 14/10 for health reasons. Hit your protein and fat macros everyday to keep your muscles and hormone levels.