What would you add to this routine?

Options
I'd like some suggestions on my workout routine- I had been lifting for about 3 months and getting great results, but got a new job and some unforeseen craziness, and fell off the wagon for 8 months. I'm sick of my own excuses, and am getting back into a routine. That said, week one back is kicking my butt after being so sedentary! So keep in mind that I'm starting back out from a place of being fairly out of shape, so I plan to increase the time of my workouts as I am able to handle more. This is what I currently do:

-4 heavy lifting sessions, on average 20mins. I do these at home with free weights/bar, your foundational compound moves.
- 2 30min sessions on treadmill at the gym (following C25k- my cardio is atrocious)

Usually, after my treadmill sessions, I do about 15-20 minutes on the machines at the gym because if I left after the treadmill, I would hit bad traffic, and I might as well spend the time active rather than sitting public transit. I do the machines because the free weights section at my gym is usually packed, and I prefer to do free weights at home because my husband can spot me.

If I only had an extra hour a week to add something in, what would you recommend? Currently, what I have described above still feels pretty brutal, so I was thinking about walking, bodyweight exercises, or possibly the hour long yoga class my gym offers. Is it worthwhile to add one of those things in, or should I wait until I am a bit stronger and allocate that time to more heavy lifting/cardio?

For the record, my goals are to lose body fat, get stronger, eventually gain muscle once I have adequately cut down on my weight. I'm about 20lbs from where I want to be on the scale, but ultimately don't care about the exact number if I'm getting more muscular and strong.

Replies

• beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    What exactly is involved in your 20 minute lifting sessions?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If I only had an extra hour a week to add something in, what would you recommend?

I would take your 4x20 lifting sessions and make them 3x45
  • ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would recommend increasing time/ effort into your lifting routine and maybe add walking on your rest/cardio day.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What exactly is involved in your 20 minute lifting sessions?

Squats (back and front), lunges, rows, overhead press, rows, sumo high pull, bench press, barbell thrusters, curls, and way too many deadlifts because I love them. Am I missing anything crucial? I'm trying to focus on good form and heavier weight.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If I only had an extra hour a week to add something in, what would you recommend?

I would take your 4x20 lifting sessions and make them 3x45

I think this is a great idea. This week the 20 minutes sessions were a godsend, because I felt absolutely destroyed the next day after every one! DOMS like crazy. But I should be able to work my way up to 3 45 minute sessions in a week or two.