Zumba

Options
Just wondering....I don't have a heart rate monitor. How do you calculate Zumba. I did the 20 minute fitness express, and the 45 minute Fitness Sculpt & Tone. i figured it all like I normally do my 3.5 mph walk. But don't know if that was correct. HELP!

Replies

• katrina1025
    katrina1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I huff and puff and do Zumba toning in a class. I usually burn between 350-500, depending on the day. BTW: 30/173/5'4"
  • meeshers
    meeshers Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat! i think i need to invest in a heart rate monitor... i don't know if it is comparable, but i have been logging it as 'dancing, general' and then i usually take a few calories off of the estimate. I figure it's better to underestimate than to overestimate. i would love any other ideas tho!
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    Before I got my HRM I logged it as dance/aerobic and it underestimated what I was burning. I'm 5'4, 148 lbs and I burn between 550-650 calories for 50 minutes in class Zumba.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just for reference, I do Zumba (Love doing Zumba!) every week. During a 40 minute class, I typically burn 380 - 430, depending how intense of a class!

Seriously, such an awesome workout!

I forgot to add... 23/ 5'7"/143
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Zumba is more of a high intensity workout, you will burn anywhere from 500-800 calories per hour on average. I guess I should provide a reference for you here, too. I burn about 750 in an hour and I'm 26, 5'10", 243.8 pounds (yuck!)
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Most people that don't have an hrm use 'high impact aerobics' to log zumba. I have a hrm...I'm 5'5", 212lbs and burn 620-700 calories for an hour class. I use a Polar FT4.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    A HRM really is the best way to go, the reason I say so: yesterday in Zumba I burned 785 calories, today in Zumba I burned 571. I thought todays class was WAY harder, but I think since I worked out for two hours yesterday I just felt like I was pushing myself really hard today since I was already worn out from the day before. That is a HUGE difference. If you did cardio 5 times a week, and had the difference I had then that could really make a huge difference. For example, 5 days cardio @ 785 calories = 3925, 5 days @ 571 calories = 2855. That is a difference of 1,070 calories. What's funny is that I really thought I would have a great burn today, even better then yesterday, because the instructor I had is known for having harder routines and workouts. It's all about what you put in, and if you are like me, it's hard to really judge that unless you have a HRM telling you how hard you are working.
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I do zumba in a class setting at my gym, the classes are 60 mins long and I realllllly push myself. I'm 25years old, 5'6, and 218lbs. The least amount I've burrned is around 560. I just burned my highest amout about 2 classes ago. I tried my hardest to do all the jumping and extra steps which really paid off - I burned a whopping 836!!! I LOVE zumba! :)

I have a bodybugg, a bit expensive, but really worth it if you like all the extra bells and whistles. It just sits on my arm, I don't even notice it. It counts not only calories burned, but how many steps I've walked, how long my heart rate is up in exercise range, how long I sleep at night without waking up, it just does EVERYTHING! haha it also has a trip on it so I can set it to record just my workouts to see how I did. It has a food log too but I use MFP for that.

When in doubt I'd log it under aerobics. :) Happy zumbaing
  • ejoh40509
    ejoh40509 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Like the others was saying it's hard to go by what MFP has for Zumba. I use to go by that until I invested in a HRM and boy was it way off. And like JulieTX86 says it really all depends, each time I do Zumba it's always something different. The best thing is to invest in a HRM I have the Polar F7, and love it. I went to Zumba class tonight and burned 768 calories but when I went last Thursday, I only burned 550 calories (about that). Hang in there though, even though you don't have a HRM now just know that you are burning the calories. Until you get a HRM just use MFP don't try and guest the calorie burn, cause like I said your burning the calories regardless if you have the HRM or not.
    Good luck on your journey and always motivate yourself and stay encouraged.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I guess unless you get a HRM I would always use 500 calories burned. I have never burned below that in a 60 minute class. That would be a good starting point. That way you can still have some calories back to eat for the day, and you are probably burning over that each class, so just count those as bonus weight loss calories. :)

Also, I have a Polar FT7. I got mine for $75 on amazon.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I guess unless you get a HRM I would always use 500 calories burned. I have never burned below that in a 60 minute class. That would be a good starting point. That way you can still have some calories back to eat for the day, and you are probably burning over that each class, so just count those as bonus weight loss calories. :)

Also, I have a Polar FT7. I got mine for $75 on amazon.

I agree with you... I've never burned less than 500 in an hour class.
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I actually found a heart rate monitor on ebay. So I can't wait til it gets here. But Thanks for all the input. My arms were a little sore this am, but anyway still walked my 3.5 miles. If I have time tonight, I will probably do the 20 minute express as well as the cardio work out. Has anyone else tried the dvds? Just wondering if the dvds are like a class. We don't have Zumba in our area, that's why I ordered the dvds. My girls age 8, and 11 did it with me, well most of it! But I can't wait to REALLY get the moves down!
  • NaniKan
    NaniKan Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I don't have a HRM yet and am licensed to teach Zumba toning and previously, Zumba Gold and Zumba Basic. With Zumba toning, your heat rate may not be as high as the regular classes, but boy do you feel it! I use 1 lb. weights with my work outs and one can go up to a 3 lb. weight but no more, otherwise, you risk injury. I had foot surgery so I wasn't exercising for 6 months and getting back to my previous weight is a challenge. But I'm determined!!! I am equally determined to find out how many calories I'm burning. I will use the 500 per hour guide for now. Thank you all for your input.
  • NaniKan
    NaniKan Posts: 4
    Options
    After a longtime search for Zumba calories burned, I found a reliable source - Livestrong, said that for a 150 lb. person, the average calorie burn is 304 calories for a 30 minute workout.