Do You Believe in "Superfoods?"

Options
jdhcm2006
jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
Just wondering. I was reading an article on the 13 Best Berries in the world (http://www.organicauthority.com/health/superfoods-best-berries-in-the-world.html), and they were throwing the word "super food" around. Now, I've heard of the word before, but never paid any attention to it. But this article made me a little curious.

Thoughts?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I believe that there are foods that are packed with nutrients. I'd consider all of those superfoods. I try to eat a lot of those.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I believe that there are foods that are packed with nutrients. I'd consider all of those superfoods. I try to eat a lot of those.

^^^^ Totally agree. My definition of "superfood" is just something very nutrient dense. Lots of bang for your buck, so to speak.

If someone thinks of a "superfood" as something that will automatically or single-handedly make him/her healthy and lose weight... then no.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

^^^^ Totally agree. My definition of "superfood" is just something very nutrient dense. Lots of bang for your buck, so to speak.

If someone thinks of a "superfood" as something that will automatically or single-handedly make him/her healthy and lose weight... then no.

I agree with both statements. I had kind of written them off because I kept hearing about how acai would make you lose tons of weight, and I just wasn't buying it. So I kind of lumped the word "super food" into a new fad, buzz word.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I agree with both statements. I had kind of written them off because I kept hearing about how acai would make you lose tons of weight, and I just wasn't buying it. So I kind of lumped the word "super food" into a new fad, buzz word.

A lot of people use it to sell weight loss. I don't typically use the word because I agree - it is mostly a buzzword. I do tend to research things given the label, though, to see what the pros and cons are. Some are worth adding to your diet, some aren't.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It is a marketing term and often used to mislead people by saying " may promote xxxx " but it is not a FDA approved labeling term that denotes anything specific. is it used on nutritious food ? Yes. Is it going to cure the tumor on the side of your head ? No
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    It is a marketing term and often used to mislead people by saying " may promote xxxx " but it is not a FDA approved labeling term that denotes anything specific. is it used on nutritious food ? Yes. Is it going to cure the tumor on the side of your head ? No

Very true.