Aspartame question

I've just bought myself a new soda stream and I'm enjoying it so much that I can see myself drinking some all day.

Which on the one hand I want to think is good because upped water consumption can lead to weight loss. But is it actually going to be detrimental if I drink the diet flavors all day? Or the lemonade (35 cal per glass)? Is that too many chemicals to be healthy if I have 5-6 glasses a day? Or does this fall under the "they lied, those chemicals/components dont hurt you" category?

Replies

• shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Don't worry about it. See the beginnings of the "Why aspartame isn't scary" thread.

Do whatever it takes to drink enough water! I've been flavoring up my water for several years now, and it's way better than being dehydrated.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary

This thread should answer many of your questions
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Or the lemonade (35 cal per glass)? Is that too many chemicals to be healthy if I have 5-6 glasses a day?

Well, it is 210 calories that you might enjoy more in another form.

You can probably do better with "Mio" or similar in there.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,327 Member
    Well the biggest problem with artificial sweeteners besides the obvious "we really don't know with 100% certainty about their safety" chemicals (I use stevia and erythritol when I use any sweetener at all-which is very very seldom) is that when your taste buds detect the sweetness you then get an insulin surge in anticipation of sugar but the sugar never comes which leaves you with the negative effects of the insulin surge; primarily a craving for high calorie carbohydrates which can sabotage your efforts and continue the progress toward metabolic syndrome. Studies have shown that consuming diet beverages can actually increase weight gain or inhibit weight loss in some people and contribute to metabolic syndrome but you would have to see if you are one of them or not and make that personal decision. The level of sweetness with artificial sweeteners is also typically much higher than sugar which means the insulin surge is even greater and enhances the negative effects.

I have a question back for you: Can you just fizz up regular water and then drop in some lemon, berries or cucumber, etc... to flavor it? I thought about getting one of those gadgets but have yet to scope them out to see if they would work for my intended purpose. What do you think?
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    I have read that thread, but I've also read stuff like what the previous poster said about insulin and that's why I'm worried. I don't remember reading about that. Maybe I didn't look close enough in the thread?
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,327 Member
    I only know that about insulin because I am a type 2 diabetic in remission.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    I have read that thread, but I've also read stuff like what the previous poster said about insulin and that's why I'm worried. I don't remember reading about that. Maybe I didn't look close enough in the thread?

There is a difference between science, headlines and hearsay.

There are some studies that show this insulin response and some that don't (and the usual host of study design issues). There is not an established causal rationale for this possible effect. Some say it is due to sweetness (which of course would occur with sugar water, soda or berry juice too) or the effect of the protein in the gut. IMO, this is somewhere between questionable and refuted, but you can google and read the studies too.

Instead, I'll give you another philosophical razor: If aspartame really reliably induced a significantly enhanced insulin reaction, "evil big pharma" would have already given it a cute name like "Insulite" and marketed it as a new diabetes drug. :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    Well the biggest problem with artificial sweeteners besides the obvious "we really don't know with 100% certainty about their safety" chemicals (I use stevia and erythritol when I use any sweetener at all-which is very very seldom) is that when your taste buds detect the sweetness you then get an insulin surge in anticipation of sugar but the sugar never comes which leaves you with the negative effects of the insulin surge; primarily a craving for high calorie carbohydrates which can sabotage your efforts and continue the progress toward metabolic syndrome. Studies have shown that consuming diet beverages can actually increase weight gain or inhibit weight loss in some people and contribute to metabolic syndrome but you would have to see if you are one of them or not and make that personal decision. The level of sweetness with artificial sweeteners is also typically much higher than sugar which means the insulin surge is even greater and enhances the negative effects.

I have a question back for you: Can you just fizz up regular water and then drop in some lemon, berries or cucumber, etc... to flavor it? I thought about getting one of those gadgets but have yet to scope them out to see if they would work for my intended purpose. What do you think?
    Broscience. Post a peer reviewed clinical study showing an insulin surge after consuming aspartame. If this were true, then why would the American Diabetes Association recommend diet drinks as an alternative? I for one would love to read the peer reviewed study supporting this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Aspartame may not be dangerous (and i really don't know anything about that), but can continue to consume it and get over any sugar cravings and so on at the same time. If you ever find yourself going back to your old habits of high sugar eating, you could say this hasn't worked. Not that there are often also not other factors in play such as stress.

Maybe one of the reasons why people struggle to drink water is because its too cold. if its room temperature then you can just down a glass in one go without giving it much thought.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    Maybe one of the reasons why people struggle to drink water is because its too cold. if its room temperature then you can just down a glass in one go without giving it much thought.
    I believe the main reason is there are other options. Coffee, tea, soda, flavored water, beer, etc. Cut the options and people will drink more water due to thirst.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    I only use my soda stream to make fizzy water for my wine :laugh:
    It gets used a lot

ETA: sorry, I don't really have a reply, I got distracted by the thought of wine
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member

Except, we do know with 100% certainty about their safety. Aspartame is the most studied food additive in the history of food additive studies. We know. Aspartame also does not cause an insulin surge. This is why it is recommended for diabetics. Please don't spread false information.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I've just bought myself a new soda stream and I'm enjoying it so much that I can see myself drinking some all day.

Which on the one hand I want to think is good because upped water consumption can lead to weight loss. But is it actually going to be detrimental if I drink the diet flavors all day? Or the lemonade (35 cal per glass)? Is that too many chemicals to be healthy if I have 5-6 glasses a day? Or does this fall under the "they lied, those chemicals/components dont hurt you" category?

Some people can drink loads of it with no effect. I developed allergic reactions to all artificial sweeteners except Stevia. Everyone's different.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I only use my soda stream to make fizzy water for my wine :laugh:
    It gets used a lot

ETA: sorry, I don't really have a reply, I got distracted by the thought of wine

Ooo... I wish I'd thought of that! :happy:
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Wow--thank you everyone. I feel a LOT better. I'm a big fan of diet coke (and this stuff tastes like a dead ringer for it) and I do try and stay hydrated. It's actually a crutch of mine. I get dehydration headaches/aches way too often.

Looks like I made a good purchase! THANK YOU ALL!