Is my goal weight too high?

I started my weightloss at 80kg (176pounds). Back then I set my goal weight as 65kg (143pounds). I was always told by online-calculators, diet-infos etc. that 60-65kg was a very good healthy weight for my size and age.

But right now, I'm down to 67.5kg (148pounds), so I'm only 5 pounds away from my goal weight - and when I look at my body, it's still very fat. I still have a large stomach and thighs, I have to wear L and XL sized clothing, and compared to friends of my height I'm the biggest one. I doubt that will change much with only 5 pounds less.
So I was wondering if my goal weight was wrong, if I should aim for an even lower weight?

Replies

• GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    What's your height?
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    What's your height?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    surely thats for you to decide... not random people on the internet....?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    surely thats for you to decide... not random people on the internet....?

This...

However personal experience from me...

My original GW was 165..and I hit that...and realized it wasn't enough so I set it down another 10lbs...hit that and was pleased.

I have stayed right around that goal all summer but...may do another cut in Sept...down to 145...it really is a personal choice on how you feel.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Oh sorry, I forgot my height. I'm 165cm (5'4'').

I know it's mostly personal choice how much I want to weigh, but I'm just surprised that what is recommended as 'healthy weight' (even by medical students) still seems fat to me. Since I've been overweight my whole life I don't really know if maybe my view is just a bit skewed.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    im 5"4 and have set my goal as 65kg too with the idea when i get there i can relook at things and if i feel i need to loos more i can or if im happy at that then i can start maintaining.

so its up to you, you clearly dont seem happy now your almost at goal so mabye when you do loose the last 5lbs relook at your stats and see where you want to go from there

x
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    I'm 5'4". Range is 107.5-145 to have a normal BMI. I personally feel best around 115 lbs (119 lbs now). Anything over 120 and I feel it (I'm a triathlete). So 143 is at the tail end of the high for normal.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 947 Member
    Are you exercising?
    Start working on.building muscle!

Weight loss is an effective instrument but to.optimize physique, additional exercise is very strongly recommended, especially if you're looking to.do.away with pot belly, etc! I weigh same as I did in December but look different!

Muscle heavier than fat but takes up less space!
    So BMI using just height.and weight may not.necessarily be accurate for you.in setting goal weight!
    Many athletes on.that calculation may qualify as overweight or obese when in.actual fat they jave hardly any fat on them! The opposite also true!

Cheers
  • nomorefatjuu
    nomorefatjuu Posts: 42 Member
    Oh sorry, I forgot my height. I'm 165cm (5'4'').

I know it's mostly personal choice how much I want to weigh, but I'm just surprised that what is recommended as 'healthy weight' (even by medical students) still seems fat to me. Since I've been overweight my whole life I don't really know if maybe my view is just a bit skewed.
    Push yourself and lose some more until you feel happy with your body. 60 kilos would be great for you and it will make a huge difference on your face and waist
  • This is good advice...

Sounds much more like you need to tone and get your muscles firm. Weight is not the be all and end all - health is (I would think). Strength Building Exercise is a large part of the equation.
    Are you exercising?
    Start working on.building muscle!

Weight loss is an effective instrument but to.optimize physique exercise is very strongly recommend, especially if you're looking to.do.away with pot belly, etc!

Muscle heavier than fat but takes up less space!
    So BMI using just height.and weight may not.necessarily be accurate for you.in setting goal weight!
    Many athletes on.that calculation may qualify as overweight or obese when in.actual fat they jave hardly any fat on them! The opposite also true!

Cheers
  • ClairAnnex
    ClairAnnex Posts: 15 Member
    For me, I don't have a goal weight, I have a goal for how I want to look instead :)
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    I'm 164 cm and my preliminary goal weight is 65 kg. More importantly, though, I want to look and feel good and be strong so weight has become very secondary to me.

Do you currently workout? If so, what do you do? I agree with the advice to start strength training. Muscle is denser than fat so 1 kg of muscle takes up less space than 1 kg of fat. A good progressive beginner's programme will make a huge difference in your physique.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Everybody has a different idea about goal weight - for your height I would have thought at your current weight you'd be not too bad - its a personal thing.

As others have said above, if you exercise, especially doing strength training you will have a more svelt appearance.

For me at 5ft 2" some might think that at 134lbs I am bordering on the high side of normal weight but my stats (waist 26" hips 35") are now slightly smaller than when I was 120 lbs 20 yrs ago - exercise is so worth it :)

You've done great already so well done, now its your decision just how much more you feel you would need to lose.
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Muscle is denser than fat so 1 kg of muscle takes up less space than 1 kg of fat.

AMEN!!!! Someone got it right!
  • thursby2
    thursby2 Posts: 15 Member
    weight is total mass, fat weighs less than muscle but takes up more space so maybe you want to look at your body fat % and lower this ???
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Thanks for all the answers!

I've come to the conclusion that I DO need to up the exercise. Currently I only jog twice a week and do a general gym class once a week. I'm gonna focus on building muscle to get rid of the flabby exterior that I associate with being fat ;)