Food and Nutrition and Weightlifting

Options
Hi,

I am struggling with figuring out how many calories I should be eating along with my weightlifting regime.

I am starting out the Stronglifts 5x5 programme and obviously when I record the lifts it doesn't add the calories. I'm trying to eat enough but not sure how much I should be eating. I will give some stats:

I am 5foot 1
body fat %- 33.4% (which I want to lower- this is my main goal at the moment)
weight is 10 stone 3 pounds or 144lbs

TDEE- 1811
BMR- 1317

My diary is open (please excuse the week of no logging from Saturday 16th August- Monday 25th - I was on holiday and not counting)

My goals are currently set at:

135g Carbs- 45%
90g Protein - 30%
33g Fat - 25%

My calorie goal is currently 1200 on myfitnesspal - I do understand that this is probably too low for weightlifting:

I try to do Stronglifts 5x5 Monday, Wednesday and Friday
I generally do some other type of workout which is more cardio based twice a week- thursday and either Saturday or Sunday

Based on these stats can anyone tell me how many calories I should be eating in a day please?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i woudl go for TDEE -10 or 15% for slow fat loss.
  • zumbatat
    zumbatat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 64yrs young senior who also lifts weights and work out at our gym. I also realize that I couldn't fine any calorie count for what weights (dumbbells, kettle bells, free weights etc and machines I was working on. I did find circuit training for 60min is 617 cal burn. Now, I hope that doesn't mean that this is a Curves class, because it isn't. I think we need to eat more than a 1200 cal a day. Because, after I work out either in the gym or classes like Boot Camp, Zumba, etc I'm always HUNGRY!!!!
  • lauraedu
    lauraedu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    following
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    the 1200 calories is probably too low for a work-out day but might be ok for a day you dont' hit the gym. i am famished on days i do weight-lifting and 1200 would not satisfy me. but on rest days, sometimes 1200 is plenty.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    To attempt to even remotely calculate calories burned during weightlifting is tough for a number of reasons, which has been detailed repeatedly in these forums.

The math is .00032 calories per pound per foot. But your body is not very efficient, and don't forget the negative phase. Generally speaking, assuming a 2 foot movement per rep, go with .004 calories per pound per rep. That should be fairly close.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am 5foot 1
    body fat %- 33.4% (which I want to lower- this is my main goal at the moment)
    weight is 10 stone 3 pounds or 144lbs

TDEE- 1811
    BMR- 1317

Based on these stats can anyone tell me how many calories I should be eating in a day please?

Aim for at least 100 grams of protein and 50 grams of fat per day. Add carbs as needed, but try to hit at least 1500 kcal / day, and go up to 2000-2200 on the days that you lift.

Do try to follow that regime for 3-4 weeks, stay off the scale but take pictures and measure your waist, hips and thighs.

Also, feel free to add me as a friend :-)