question about IUD (for the ladies)

Options
i've had an IUD (mirena) for almost 2 1/2 years... at first i still got my period but now i havent gotten it in about a year. this morning there was a little blood, only when i wiped, not much at all. should i worry? anybody else have mirena? also, i have IC (a bladder condition) but i know the blood was not from my urine.

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't have the mirena but from what I understand, breakthrough bleeding is common when you are on any birth control that changes your menstrual pattern. I'm on Seasonique and that happens once and awhile.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    can you like feel it up there? like during..well ya know
  • faithNlove212
    faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had it for 2 years. First year I didnt have my period then I started to bleed spotting then I started to bleed & it wouldnt stop. I ended up having to much blood loss so my dr took it out. I was sick for weeks trying to recover from being so weak. :sad:
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for a while also, break through bleeding is VERY common.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get one.. but heard they can hurt your weightloss attempts. Have you found it made losing weight harder?
  • SillySarah
    Options
    I've had a Mirena IUD for 5+ years now (just got a replacement 3 weeks ago).

I too have had very little to no spotting during my periods. Sometimes the spotting would be a little heavier and last maybe 1 hour and sometimes it would be as little as a few pinkish red splotches when I wiped.

My OBGYN said this was normal and that I should only be concerned if the bleeding lasts for more than a week or I have severe cramps that last more than a few days. One of the common side effects of using the Mirena is a reduced/eliminated period flow. I personally prefer the light to non-existant flow I get while using it.

If you're concerned, be sure to check with your doctor and share with them what you are experiencing.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I had a Mirena inserted at my 6 week exam after my youngest (who is now 3) was born. I have not had an actual cycle since before I was PG (which is funny when I fill out medical forms as it confuses people), but every once in a while I'll have one or two times in the bathroom where there's small clot or the appearance of blood when I wipe. I would say as long as it doesn't happen EVERY day, you're good to go.

this is my situation 100% - i "say" i havent had a period since november or december 2006 before i got preggers with my daughter...i did have the first period around 6wks postpartum when i had the mirena inserted but absolutely not one since...i have very very occasional spotting or when i wipe around the first few days of the month which is when i would have a period if i had one....

as long as you are not in any discomfort or experience anything of the "norm" for you, i think you are fine but when in doubt call your gyn for confirmation....
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I had mirena put in after my son was born. It made me have WORSE periods than before. Bleeding like crazy, every few weeks and the cramps were like I was in labor. I would lay in bed in the fetal position and cry because they hurt sooo bad. I tried to lose weight and actually gained 6 lbs in the 4 months I had it. I ended up having it take out and havent had any problems since.
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    i havent checked the strings in a long time, i will have to ask my husband if he has felt them lately, and im not sure about the weight loss affect because i didnt start losing weight until after i had it inserted, but i have lost 65 lbs while i've had it if that helps :wink:
  • SillySarah
    Options
    @Mhaney

I've had no problems losing the baby weight after my daughter was born while using the Mirena. I had mine inserted 8 weeks post delivery.

I weigh less than I did before I was pregnant, but I think that may be due to staying active with activities that I enjoy. I also eat smaller, more frequent meals now. I have heard though that some women have gained weight while using the device. But I have had no problems in the 5+ years that I have had one.

Keep in mind that when you try to loose the additional weight that you may have gained during pregnancy that it's perfectly normal and healthy to lose it slowly. If you're nursing still, some of the weight may not come off right away. That's okay, because your body needs the extra calories to help generate milk for your child.

It took me a good 12-14 months before I was back to my pre-preganacy weight. It seemed like the weight would never come off, but it did. Just keep eating as healthy of foods as possible, drink lots of water, and rest when you can.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    can you like feel it up there? like during..well ya know

IUDs don't go "there" so you shouldn't feel it during "ya know." It's put into the uterus, which isn't involved in the "ya know." And the threads shouldn't be noticable. I use the ring and there hasn't been any notice of it.

Anyway, OP, if you are having much change, it might be wise to give your doctor's office a ring. Usually a nurse or someone can answer your questions over the phone without making an office visit. Especially since we don't know your medical history. But from what I've read about it, you can still have some spotting.
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    actually tropicalkitty, your partner can feel it during sex..... and you are suppose to check for the strings once in awhile. if you reach up "there" you can feel it. if you can't, theres a problem.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    actually tropicalkitty, your partner can feel it during sex..... and you are suppose to check for the strings once in awhile. if you reach up "there" you can feel it. if you can't, theres a problem.

My girl friends told me it hasn't been noticed. Interesting. I don't get how it would be noticed since it's in a completely different part of your anatomy. Oh well.

I know you are supposed to check for the strings. I meant noticable in the feeling for the partner.

But I'll admit I was wrong about the threads - people have reported problems with them. There should be no feeling of the actual IUD.