Sedentary Workers Help!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• imn0tlykeher
    imn0tlykeher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have a sedentary job where I work from 8a to 5p or later depending on what needs to be done. When I get off work I have to rush home and get supper done because my husband goes into work at 7pm. Then I have to rush even more for volleyball, Girl Scouts, PTA meetings all while still being on call for my job 24hrs a day. I know most people are going to say, if you want it, you will make the time. But sometimes it feels like I am a single mother due to getting her up and ready for school and then the evening activities. There is no time for a gym membership!!

What are some of the exercises that you do to try to lose weight? Thanks in advance!! :smile:

Look into very early morning bootcamps!! I just started one today, being a single mother to two ages 2 and 4 and working a FT 730am-4pm job I didnt feel like there was any way to fit the gym in either, but I am LOVING this bootcamp 530am-630am mon-fri for 6wks!!
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've had an office job all my life and completely understand the challenge. as I get older it's showing that I've had an office job. so I've learned some really cool "tricks" to get moving!

1. bought a garmin vivofit for heart rate monitor (and pedometer, sleep monitor). only two brands have heart rate monitor (HRM), garmin and polar, and HRM my first requirement so I can push myself (and safely) while in gym to the correct workout range. it was a bonus to get the sleep monitor and pedometer. this also had a sleep monitor, pedometer and activity tracker (swim, run, etc). the thing I didn't buy it for has turned out to be my favorite thing: it sets up motivating workout buddy 'challenges' with other users of similar activity levels. MFP has some data on how getting workout buddies can help you lose weight 25% faster and get fit faster. Turns out I'm way more competitive than I thought. I can see I am only 300 steps lower than person ranked #4 so I push myself to get in another 3 minutes of walking, which pops me up a level! These challenges have confirmed that the buddy system works, and I've made virtual friends all over the globe. The Sleep monitor is extremely valuable in that a good REM cycle during sleep is critical to your body to get back in shape, you need that true rest cycle to do so. otherwise you'll deplete adrenals. And the pedometer has helped me manage my time better in terms of rebalancing exercise throughout day to keep my energy up, metabolism burning.

2. every hour I getup to drink a glass of water. drinking plenty of water flushes toxins which help lose weight. At first I had to put this on my computer/phone calendar as a repeating alarm reminder. Now I just set the timer on my phone to ring hourly so I get up and get water and do the items below too.

3. every time I get a glass of water or take a bio break, I do 5-10 minutes of walking or lunges or situps. I call this Link Up good habits. Linking up small activities to each break will add up fast! in fact I can get my 10k step goal if I do this linking activity alone! and I push myself to walk fast during this link up activity so my heart gets pumping.

Hope this helps! And hey, let's connect on MFP so we can encourage eachother! @VibrantAnnette
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I get off work I have to rush home and get supper done because my husband goes into work at 7pm.

Is there a particular reason why your husband can't get supper done?

Honestly if I wanted to eat hamburger helper everyday I would let him cook but he is a pretty bad cook :) he can make a mean frozen pizza though :laugh:

So cook on the weekends and prepare ahead of time. If he can make frozen pizza he can reheat stuff.

I'm in the same boat. I work a 9-5, but I also have a long commute, so I leave around 7am and don't get home til as late as 6:30 sometimes. I make dinners for the week every Sunday so that when we get home M-F, all we have to do is warm it up. It sounds like a hassle, but it's really not that bad once you get used to it. I make 2 different meals, freeze about half, and rotate in something from a week or 2 previous by pulling it out of the freezer. The only things I prefer to make fresh, which I sometimes do as often as once a week, is pork chops or fish, which I cook on a stove-top indoor grill thingy. We eat a ton of frozen vegetables, and those are pretty easy to boil quickly, or prepare ahead of time on Sunday as well.

As far as exercise, I get up at 5am and work out for 15-20 minutes as that's all I have time for. It's brutal some days, but as long as I'm in bed close to 9 (I am one of those people that *has* to have 8 hours of sleep) I can handle it. I also try to do the stairs at work (7 flights - oof) and I'm working back up to trying to fit some exercise in on my lunch break.

As many others have said though, the biggest factor is going to be the calories in vs calories out. Keep track of everything meticulously, make time to log daily, and try to eat more protein and fats and less carbs (simply for the fullness factor and to curb cravings if nothing else).

You can do this!! Good luck :) Feel free to add me if you wish :)
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I wanted to eat hamburger helper everyday I would let him cook but he is a pretty bad cook :) he can make a mean frozen pizza though :laugh:

LOL!

Well, I think he needs to learn. When you have kids and both parents work, it's an "all hands on deck" situation. Everyone needs to be able to do everything, so they can help out where needed. Hubby has to know how to cook and do laundry, and wifey needs to be able to mow the lawn and get the oil changed.

The thing is, guys love to geek out about stuff once they get the "bug" to do so. Cooking is no different. The trick is getting him to try something that doesn't come out of a box with an anthropomorphic glove on it. :-)

Maybe you should look into getting a week or two of something like Blue Apron? They come up with a menu of three meals, put together every single ingredient you need to make them in the exact amounts, then ship everything to you along with step-by-step recipes (with pictures!).

A class in basic knife skills at something like a Viking school or local adult-ed place might be fun too. You could both take it together. At the very least, he could help out by being your prep cook!

(P.S. Check out the book "Body by You", or one like it. You do not need a gym or tons of time to get a great strength workout.)