Sendentary, lightly active?

Options
2»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well, I'm a banker, so I put mine at sendentary since I am sitting most of the day. When I come home I still do chores like cooking, cleaning, laundry, mopping, vacuuming, light dusting, etc. I don't however consider this when I log things in, I know it is work and can be quite tiring, I just don't consider this as activity.
    Samezees
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I had the same question when I started because I have a very sedentary job, and sometimes my entertainment at home is the computer or Netflix rather than anything active. So I took the guesswork out of it by getting a fitness tracker. I have a Bodymedia, and I set MFP to sedentary and just let the Bodymedia make adjustments based on how active I am on a particular day. It's quite motivating, as I like seeing all the checkmarks when I reach my goals on the Bodymedia app, but also, if I want a little something extra to eat, I can just take a walk or jog or go for a bike ride and still stay within my limit. Knowing how much you actually burn on a daily basis is extremely helpful.
    I want one of those so much :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I had the same question when I started because I have a very sedentary job, and sometimes my entertainment at home is the computer or Netflix rather than anything active. So I took the guesswork out of it by getting a fitness tracker. I have a Bodymedia, and I set MFP to sedentary and just let the Bodymedia make adjustments based on how active I am on a particular day. It's quite motivating, as I like seeing all the checkmarks when I reach my goals on the Bodymedia app, but also, if I want a little something extra to eat, I can just take a walk or jog or go for a bike ride and still stay within my limit. Knowing how much you actually burn on a daily basis is extremely helpful.

Same, except I used a Fitbit. I assumed I was sedentary based on the descriptions (desk job), but found that the walking I do to commute and go places for meetings and such and to shop (I live in a city, so one of my first things when deciding to get into shape was to just walk everywhere I possibly could) made me easily lightly active (I usually hit 10,000 or close). Seeing it on the Fitbit really helped, but I bet any pedometer or app that counts steps and lets you see how much you are moving would serve the same basic purpose.

The OP's description sounds like lightly active to me, but I agree with adjusting based on results.
  • doodlebug1966
    Options
    Good Luck.I work at a job sitting 9 hours so going to try and get up early and walk on treadmill then do weight when I get home.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Sendentary unless you are walking ? a couple miles a day.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I am disabled. A year ago if I got out of bed to shower it was a big deal. I'm doing much better now and most days am "active" at least 1-2 hours, some really good days 3 or 4.

I count all activity ... gardening, laundry, vacuuming, taking care of animals, walking dogs. Basically if I'm sweating I'm burning calories. I log them. If you friend me I'd be happy to share my diary.

If anyone thinks this can't happen to them, know I was a gym rat for over 25 years. Was extremely fit as a child and can outwork pretty much anyone my age and decades younger even with my disabilities. Just never stop moving.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    thank you!!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I do not work outside the home. I walk almost every day and I do housework and sometimes sit to go on the computer/watch tv. I do laundry, vacuum, dishes.do groceries etc. I basically putter around. What activity level should I choose?

I have a similar lifestyle and I set it for sedentary. I am exercising more, but I have my fitbit to help keep track of that. I try not to eat back too many calories over the week.
  • Ameenasmum24
    Ameenasmum24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging on mfp I wasn't patient at all right now I'm also a stay at home mom so I do laundry etc...and when I feel up to it I walk a few times a wk for about an hr (2 miles) and at first I didn't notice anything until about day 15 of logging which was about last week and I lost 3 almost 4 pounds maybe more at this point it's ttom so I didn't check my weight this week what I'm trying to say is be patient I know it's so hard but just keep going and you will see results. I'm also set at sendentary I didn't know it was a lightly active but in my opinion I don't think it will matter I'm set at 1310 cal. A day and when I walk it goes up. But just eat well And don't give up. I hope I helped somebody. I should be telling myself these things as well.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom I got a fitbit to monitor my steps. some days I can sit more than others but on average I make 8000 steps a day and do 30 min on my elliptical 5 days a weeks and one 30 min strength training session with my trainer. I have it set as lightly active.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    To me, sedentary means you have a desk job where you're sitting in a chair for stretches of at 30-40 minutes at a time.... and you spend most of your day this way.

If you're confused or disagree or don't feel comfy making a judgement call, then I think a FitBit might be a good idea for you.

If you can't measure it, then you can't manage it. Best of luck!