How long does it take you to run/walk 5k on a treadmill?

Options
hi all,

just out of curiousity really but how long do most people take to run/walk 5k on a treadmill? I have recently started doing it again (I used to do it years ago) and my first attempt was 38.04, then this morning was 37.26. I vaguely remember it used to average about 35 mins but my record was 32.5 mins. Just wondering how I compare to others.. I am by NO means a runner but I do gym 3 times per week and have always exercise.

thanks!

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hi! I first want to give a word of caution about comparing your times to others. There are SO many variables and I started being pretty hard on myself when I started asking people the same thing, so I don't recommend it!

The average of 35 minutes and the record of 32.5 are SO GREAT! If you keep up running you will definitely be able to cut that time! Just set realistic goals for yourself. Train in speed, and in longer runs, and you'll see your 5k time go down for sure. But in all seriousness, GREAT JOB!

PS. for considering yourself "not a runner," I would say you are doing superb :-) so take people's replies with a grain of salt. You are not in a race to beat any of us - just remember that!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My fastest on a treadmill was right at 30min. and I Did 32min in a race
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you my time, but I will tell you that as you continue to do this, you will get faster. If you are walking/running then your time is just fine and dandy.
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    Options
    I like to look at the 5K race results. Since they are usually categorized by age groups and sex, you can get a pretty good window on how you are doing compared to people your age.
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    I'm no runner myself but your times sound good to me. I have been using an app called "Couch to 5K" and am working up to that. I am not there yet, but find myself running at about 6MPH on the treadmill currently. I have found that I prefer to run outside but with winter here I tend to be a fair weather runner and have been using the treadmill.

Keep up the good work I'd say you're doing great!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you my time, but I will tell you that as you continue to do this, you will get faster. If you are walking/running then your time is just fine and dandy.

I will tell you I have been running consistently for 3 years now and I have cut 15 minutes off my 5k times. I was not a runner when I started. I feel like a runner now. I have lost a lot of weight and keep training for races. I don't think the time matters as much as getting out there and doing it. The only race you are in is against yourself.
  • kizzyt
    kizzyt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies people, and dont worry, the only person I want to compete with is myself, if I can get to 36 minutes by the end of the year I'll be chuffed! I've done charity runs before where people complete in about 22 mins, I think its amazing but I am fully aware that that's unrealistic for me so I am happy plodding along (literally sometimes haha) and improving my own time :)