Unsolicited (but much appreciated!) Compliments

Options
RinnyLush
RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
I think a lot of us can agree that receiving compliments isn't always easy. Sometimes they come across as disingenuous, and sometimes the more vulgar displays (ie. cat-calling) are downright unwanted. Regardless, the kindness of words can still be very much appreciated under the right circumstances. I had an experience like that this morning and I am still beaming! :bigsmile:

A year ago I decided to take my health into my own hands and start getting fit. I tracked my food and starting walking to and from work, 45 minutes each way. I also spent more time at the yoga studio and gym working on my strength. Once I lost about 20 lbs I started training with the C25K program and fell in love with runnning. I started running to and from work everyday, about 30 minutes each way. Now that I am close to my goal and working on establishing sustainable habits I walk to work every morning (45 minutes downhill) and run home (30 minutes uphill).

This morning I was enjoying my tunes, the sunshine, and my morning walk to work when a car passing by blew its horn at me. Startled, I turned to see if i knew the person. A lady (who I had never met before) was smiling and waving me over to her car. I was confused, but curious, so I walked over. She unrolled her window and said:

"You're probably going to think I am really creepy, but I needed to catch you the next time I saw you. I see you run past my shop downtown everyday, and I just wanted to tell you how awesome I think you are. I've seen your body change immensely, and I really admire your dedication to your health. That's all. You rock!"

Flustered but flattered, I smiled and thanked her as she waved and drove off. Her words were genuine, friendly, and congratulatory. It was so kind of her to actually communicate that to me, a stranger, and it really made my day. What an ego boost! :blushing:

Anyway, I just thought I would share that little story as it seems fitting that it happened almost exactly a year since I started down this road to health. Success! Does anyone else have a story where they felt genuinely complimented?

PS: I plan to pay it forward with a compliment to a stranger today, as well. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• BonecrusherBrews
    BonecrusherBrews Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome!

And great job!
  • TXPIP
    TXPIP Posts: 10
    Options
    You SHOULD feel good about the compliment! You have done an outstanding job of losing weight and shaping up. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!:happy:
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I had a gentleman come up to me at a get together this past weekend, and just started telling me all about how wonderful I am and he loves my hair and how fun I was and all this other stuff. It was crazy. I just kept saying thank you and all the while thinking, he must be frickin' nuts :laugh:

I did appreciate it, though.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    This morning I was enjoying my tunes, the sunshine, and my morning walk to work when a car passing by blew its horn at me. Startled, I turned to see if i knew the person. A lady (who I had never met before) was smiling and waving me over to her car. I was confused, but curious, so I walked over.

This never works for me, even when I offer candy
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I applaud that woman for having the guts to talk to you. I see people all the time around where I live running and walking. They're not in the best shape, but they do it. Every time I drive by I think to myself, "that is so freakin' awesome!"

I'm glad that you were the recipient of such genuine appreciation, and while I don't think it's necessary for a person to be successful, it certainly provides a huge positive boost.
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Your story makes me smile a lot, that's so sweet of her! Made my day to hear about the kindness of others. ^_^
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    That's so cool! How brave and generous of her to take the time to do that!
    Congrats on your progress, too. It must be obvious to others how much work you have done!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you were the recipient of such genuine appreciation, and while I don't think it's necessary for a person to be successful, it certainly provides a huge positive boost.

So true! I definitely already feel successful without external validation, but it sure was nice to hear it. :smile:

And thanks, everyone, for all your kind comments!
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Awww that's so lovely :)
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Wow, how wonderful to know you have inspired a stranger enough for her to do that! I feel proud on your behalf lol!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    That is an incredible story, and incredible woman! You have done so well, and a total stranger noticed. Huge pat on your back, so congratulations!

Since you asked....

I was in the grocery store produce section last week after work. I had on a black work dress and black pumps. This woman (complete stranger to me) walked all the way over from the salad bar to the far side of produce to tell me exactly this:

"Excuse me, miss....you look great in your dress. I mean, really great."

I was flustered and flabbergasted as well, but beaming with delight, and thanked her. It was an awesome compliment, and just what I needed.
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to run my first 5K and there was a lady there that had amazing muscle tone in her thighs. Just overall athletic legs. I told my daughter that I would love to have legs like that. Saw her again about 15 minutes later and just went up to her and said, "I swear I'm not a weirdo, but you have amazing legs". Her face lite up with a beautiful smile and she thanked me. I truly believe people like to know that their hard work has paid off.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    You ARE doing an amazing job and your dedication shows! So nice to have a boost like that!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    That's always what I want to say when I honk my horn at a girl but it comes out as "wooohooo!!!!"
  • allycolli
    allycolli Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My favorite type of compliments are from other people who are fit. When they tell me how great I look or how strong and toned I am, I know they understand how much time and effort it took to get to where I am. One of the receptionists at my health club talked with me after checking me in because I looked so different from my ID picture. She asked me for advice and said that she admired my consistency and commitment to my health :D
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Calgary people rock!!
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That's always what I want to say when I honk my horn at a girl but it comes out as "wooohooo!!!!"

gt_zps33f50dbe.gif

but seriously OP, that is awesome.
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Great story and thanks for sharing!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! You're "the lady"!...

Many years ago, when I lived with my parents we'd always see this lady power walking all over town but mostly on the main boulevard in our town that we needed to take to get almost everywhere. We watched her and her little pink/purple visor go Go GO everyday and she got slimmer and slimmer.

It became part of our day to report not only on our days but also sightings of the lady and what we had observed.

-"The lady looks like she lost like 15 lbs!"
    -"Saw the lady again she looks even slimmer!"
    -"Today a car didn't want to wait for the lady to cross the crosswalk, I honked"
    -"I saw the lady walking in the morning AND afternoon today"
    -"Wow the lady bought some shorter shorts"

etc., etc., etc.

Then for a bit she was not around and we forgot about her.

None of us even thought to ask.

Then out of the blue my mom came home and brought her up at dinner.

-"I saw the lady today. She's gotten so big...She's gaining weight now again....."

all of us around the dinner table...

:huh:

:noway:

:frown:

:ohwell:

:brokenheart:

:cry:

My mom with a big grin...

:bigsmile:

-"...she's pregnant!"

The whole family...:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

You never know who you are inspiring...congratulations, you have become an inspiration to someone and who knows maybe even her whole family.

That lady taught us,

1- you do YOU.
    2- persistence
    3- exercise rain or shine
    4-sometimes a-holes won't wanna stop keep on keepin' on
    5- pink and purple can match if it's workout wear
    6-good things lead to better things
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Yay for genuine compliments! At the gym I used to go to there was a young man who was very overweight, he was there almost every day working out. I always admired him for the effort he put into his workout. He missed a week or so (I noticed he wasn't there) and then one day he was back working like a dog. I now wish I would've told him that he was awesome.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!