New Workout Routine

Options
I'm just starting my fitness regime after 7 years???? I would like constructive opinions on my current routine. I am on week 4 of ONLY weight training(no cardio) and I have 1 more to go before I start cardio with minimal strength training for 5 weeks. I plan on switching back and forth this way. I want to be switching my routine constantly so I don't hit a plateau and keep my body guessing. My goal is to lose fast as possible(safely) so I can be in a bikini by summer 2015. So about 35 pounds in about 10 months. What do you think??

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The "keep your body guessing" thing is an old myth. Plateaus are almost always from underestimating calorie intake or overestimating calorie output. If you don't want to plateau, track calories accurately, and increase your exercise intensity or volume whenever it gets easier. There's no logic behind reducing strength training for 5 weeks.

Which strength program are you following?
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Strength training will give you the biggest transformational qualities - you'll be getting stronger and leaner and shapelier. If you want to keep your body guessing you could alternate heavy weight/low reps with bodyweight only or lighter weight/higher reps. Throw in some HIIT training and hill sprints/bike tabata.

So you could do 2 strength, 1 HIIT one week, 2 HIIT, 1 strength the next. All bodyweight one week, all heavy weight the next.

But strength is the way to go. Besides, believe me, strength training burns calories as well as builds muscle. And it revs up your metabolism, which runs at a higher rate for several hours after strength training, meaning you're burning more calories anyway.

Oh, and I'd think 35lbs in 10 months is doable, definitely. But don't forget, strength training builds muscle, so you might not lose that amount. You'll burn off fat of course. My weight hasn't changed more than 3lbs in about 5 months, but I've an inch and a half from my waist and hips both. I look better, but I don't weigh less.

Good luck!
  • nessa3983
    Options
    Its my husbands workout program. Mon- chest/back Tues- legs Wed- bi's and tri's Thurs- yoga/pilates Fri-sholders/core Sat- pump class(we take it easy-light on weight). Sun OFF. Years ago I did a gym program, I didn't follow the diet part but followed the workout out part. Did weight training only for a few weeks then started cardio and lost 2 sizes fast. I guess that's the logic
  • nessa3983
    Options
    Strength training will give you the biggest transformational qualities - you'll be getting stronger and leaner and shapelier. If you want to keep your body guessing you could alternate heavy weight/low reps with bodyweight only or lighter weight/higher reps. Throw in some HIIT training and hill sprints/bike tabata.

So you could do 2 strength, 1 HIIT one week, 2 HIIT, 1 strength the next. All bodyweight one week, all heavy weight the next.

But strength is the way to go. Besides, believe me, strength training burns calories as well as builds muscle. And it revs up your metabolism, which runs at a higher rate for several hours after strength training, meaning you're burning more calories anyway.

Oh, and I'd think 35lbs in 10 months is doable, definitely. But don't forget, strength training builds muscle, so you might not lose that amount. You'll burn off fat of course. My weight hasn't changed more than 3lbs in about 5 months, but I've an inch and a half from my waist and hips both. I look better, but I don't weigh less.

Good luck!

I like the idea of switching between bodyweight and so on. I think I can work with something like that. Thanks!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Did weight training only for a few weeks then started cardio and lost 2 sizes fast. I guess that's the logic

Cardio does burn calories, so no surprise that you lost weight. And it's common to hold on to extra fluid weight temporarily when starting lifting. Changing up exercises doesn't affect fat loss unless you change your calorie output doing them. 400 calories burned doing freeweights is the same as 400 calories doing bodyweight exercises. Many people have lost weight without changing their exercises.