Ways to gain weight besides just more food.

Options
Hi, I thought I've never have to post in this subforum ever but I know i've lost too much weight and I need to gain for a while, wondering, I just can't keep affording more food, I've been maintaining on an average of 2,300 cals a day asince april I just still kept losing.

I now set myself to huge 2,700 a day to gain .5kg a week, I thought just eating 3,000 cals some days and back to normal 2,300 would work, but I just lost another kg since week since I switched to weight gain.

Would stop smoking help a lot? I'm an active person, should I excercise less, im very unsure, I'm since unsure how to maintain correctly, and for this weight gain, this time I MUST be successful!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    more food = gaining.

You should stop smoking anyway- seriously- how is that even a question.

Secondly- are you lifting.

thirdly- buy high calorie food- and of course not you're not going to gain on 2300- I can maintain on close to that and I'm a woman. It's not enough.
    EAT MOAR FOOD.

Ice cream + oreos + beer + pizza.

seriously- bulking food of champions- and doughnuts- and peanut butter- and olive oil- and bacon.

eat.
    all.
    the.
    things.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wow I just forgotten all this food even exists, thanks for suggestions I start by drinking cartoon of beer on the weekend, but afraid to start eatibg pizza, if I start I don't think i could ever stop!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    less activity
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    GOMAD
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    I started with less activity, today I only took my dog for a 15min walk than the usual 1 hour walk i've done all year.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    more video games!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I started with less activity, today I only took my dog for a 15min walk than the usual 1 hour walk i've done all year.

Next time take a golf cart
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking and spend the extra money on food. WIN!!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants.
  • Tnia
    Tnia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein; More Protein with Whole Milk or Icecream;
    Drinks — Try protein shakes, juices or whole milk. Avoid diet sodas.
    Breads — Hearty and dense breads, such as whole wheat, oat bran, pumpernickel and rye, are more nutritious than white bread. Cut thick slices and spread generously with peanut butter, jam, honey, hummus, or cream cheese.
    Vegetables — Look for starchy vegetables (potatoes, peas, corn, carrots, winter squash, beets). Avoid vegetables that are mostly water (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans, cucumbers).
    Fruit — Choose dense fruit (bananas, pears, apples, pineapple, dried fruit) over watery fruit (oranges, peaches, plums, berries, watermelon).
    Soups — Go for hearty cream soups instead of broth-based soups. If you have trouble with edema or high blood pressure, you may want to avoid store-bought soups that are high in sodium.
    Added oils — When you're cooking, add a generous amount of oil to your food. The healthiest oils are unrefined (extra virgin) oils such as olive, coconut, canola, palm, and (of course) butter. Less healthy but still acceptable sources of oil are those high in omega-6 fatty acids (pro-inflammatory) such as safflower, sunflower, and peanut oils. Unhealthy oils that contain trans fats include shortening and soybean oil (aka vegetable oil).
    Spreads — Spreading delicious calorie-rich toppings on toast, crackers, pitas, and any other carbohydrate source is an excellent way to increase caloric intake. Some good high-calorie spreads are guacamole, olive oil, cream cheese, hummus, butter, nut butters, sour cream, cheese slices, and mayonnaise. For even more calories, mix these with shredded meats like chicken or fish.
    Supplements — Some nutritional supplements are designed specifically for weight gain. Investigate brands and products that are suggested for people suffering from illnesses that lead to weight loss, such as Crohn's disease or hyperthyroidism.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    1. Quit smoking

2. Your calorie intake is low for most men. You need more. 3500 calories = 1 lb.

3. See your doctor. If you are starting to lose weight for no apparent reason it could be a sign of something wrong, like liver cancer or a messed up insulin balance. Blood work is worth the money.

4. The weight loss could be your body adjusting to your new routine and eating habits. Give it 4-6 weeks and reevaluate.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Your poor dog.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's this simple....

Gain Weight: Move less, eat more

Maintain: consume a balance of energy for your stats and activity level

Lose Weight: Move more; eat less

BTW, I'm a 5'10" male pushing 40 and I'm reasonably active...I maintain in a range of 2600 - 2800 calories per day. Eating 2300 calories per day for pretty much any man who is remotely active is going to result in weight loss. To maintain on 2300 calories per day I would have to pretty much go back to a sedentary lifestyle.

Also, you don't necessarily have to eat more food to get more calories. If you're eating non fat/low fat stuff, stop...eat full fat. Have a glass of milk with every meal. Eat full fat salad dressings. Eat calorie dense carbohydrates like rice, pasta, beans, etc. Eat some cheese...eat nuts and nut butters, etc. Have a couple beers...
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    Okay I didn't think of avoiding Diet Sodas, I been buying them and thinking nothing of them, I just revert almost to my old habits for a week or two, and maybe just keep eating and drinking and maybe stop logging for a while, and yes if I lose anymore i'm definately seeing a doctor.

My plan now is to gain about 8kg, I have no patience to gainn weight too slolwly, your suggestions are great I just didn't know where to start.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend was talking about wanting to gain. I'm not sure what your stats are, but he's in the 6'2", 185lb range, and his calorie goal was 3500+ calories a day to gain. He maintains at (I think this is what he told me) 2800.

Stop buying low fat, light, etc. At this point, you need all of the healthy fats and protein you can get. Good foods to consider would be greek yogurt, peanut butter, whey protein, and starchy vegetables (potatoes, yams, etc).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Reduce cardio.

Also, see a doctor just to be sure that this isn't related to an undiagnosed condition.

That's all I got. :ohwell:
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, cut cardio, drink a gallon of whole milk a day.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Would stop smoking help a lot?

Well, yeah. It seems the perfect solution to your issue.

Smoking can suppress appetite. It also costs a hell of a lot.

If you give up smoking you will be hungrier. You can then use the money you have saved on more food.

Profit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you are losing on 2,300 calories, then that is not maintenance. What does a TDEE calculator say your estimated maintenance is? An average male usually needs 2,500. (Yes, that is a generalization, you should run your own numbers and then test it by consistently tracking for 4-6 weeks to find your actual maintenance).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Next time take a golf cart
    Problem solved!

walking-the-dog.jpg