Lessons learned yesterday...

Options
Apparently 40 squats (during which I am sure my *kitten* came nowhere near to actually low enough to be called a proper form squat) in one day was entirely too much for this fat, out of shape lady. I literally find myself using the hall bathroom because I am grip the door-frame and the front of the sink when I sit down on the (holy frig, it's low) toilet. Yay, fitness. Hopefully it's not so bad tomorrow, when I am supposed to do it again!

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    " too much for this fat, out of shape lady" - Hey, now, NONE of that talk is allowed here! Although painful, it is worth it. Make sure you warm up your muscles REALLY well before your next workout and keep it up!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I only tell you this to warn you - usually the 2nd day after exercising is the worst pain. Workout your upper body tomorrow. Then your whole body can hurt! :bigsmile:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Now you have a choice to make sure you don't feel that pain again: never squat again or never stop squatting again.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,481 Member
    Options
    I only tell you this to warn you - usually the 2nd day after exercising is the worst pain. Workout your upper body tomorrow. Then your whole body can hurt! :bigsmile:

I did a beginner's body weight circuit training thing at home, so I also did modified wall push-ups, modified plank, lunges (okay, I tried to do lunges) and dumbbell rows. Oh and jumping jacks. And I did warm up and stretch before doing all this, lol. I can feel it in my upper body a little bit, in a good way, vs how my thighs feel, but I definitely need to pick up a heavier dumbbell for the rows. My 10yo can do perfectly good dumbbell rows with the one I used (8lbs, but the heaviest we actually own currently, lol)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    1239040_10151613190820740_1706247697_n.jpg?oh=4f1c84da5e11492b716d1ca789ff38cd&oe=54766780
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,481 Member
    Options
    " too much for this fat, out of shape lady" - Hey, now, NONE of that talk is allowed here! Although painful, it is worth it. Make sure you warm up your muscles REALLY well before your next workout and keep it up!

Well, I am fat and out of shape. The last time I did squats was probably before I had kids, so quite some time ago, and I am over 300lbs. But... I am working on it, and that's what matters, heh.:grumble:
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Good job! I would look up some stretching exercises for squats on youtube. Doing stretches after working out might hurt while you are doing them but you will feel better afterwards.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Yeah, tomorrow is likely gonna suck.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I did a beginner's body weight circuit training thing at home, so I also did modified wall push-ups, modified plank, lunges (okay, I tried to do lunges) and dumbbell rows. Oh and jumping jacks. And I did warm up and stretch before doing all this, lol. I can feel it in my upper body a little bit, in a good way, vs how my thighs feel, but I definitely need to pick up a heavier dumbbell for the rows. My 10yo can do perfectly good dumbbell rows with the one I used (8lbs, but the heaviest we actually own currently, lol)

step one- doing the thing.
    step two- doing the thing again even when you DEFINITELY don't want to.

Day 2 will suck- day 3 will probably suck some more- but do the work out anyway- trust- the only way to get over feeling like that- is by doing the things regularly.

I hate when don't work out for 7 days- I can't imagine how hard it would be coming into cold turkey and not "coming back" just stepping into it.

You can do it- just KEEP doing it!!!! Congrats on the first step!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Apparently 40 squats (during which I am sure my *kitten* came nowhere near to actually low enough to be called a proper form squat) in one day was entirely too much for this fat, out of shape lady. I literally find myself using the hall bathroom because I am grip the door-frame and the front of the sink when I sit down on the (holy frig, it's low) toilet. Yay, fitness. Hopefully it's not so bad tomorrow, when I am supposed to do it again!

lol, you'll get used to it. My monday had me doing a PR weight for 5 reps in a squat as my work set, then an immediate drop set at 145 for 50 reps.

Yesterday was fine, but today my hams and *kitten* hurt, badly.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Good job! I would look up some stretching exercises for squats on youtube. Doing stretches after working out might hurt while you are doing them but you will feel better afterwards.

This... and I also agree with that first person, doesn't matter what size you may be... get that negative self talk out! No more telling yourself you're being realistic either- you're doing something to better yourself, and that's what matters.

Keep at it and stay positive :) You can do this :)
  • PRMinx
    Options

lol, you'll get used to it. My monday had me doing a PR weight for 5 reps in a squat as my work set, then an immediate drop set at 145 for 50 reps.

I'm going to be a mess by Friday. Today 7 rounds, 4 reps back squats at 115. Then 30 thrusters at 50..
  • dbmata
    Options

Shootin' straight right there.

i've found a little running, swimming, or yoga helps make day 2 a lot less.
    Except today, maybe power yoga wasn't good after heavy legs.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Also, wine.
  • dbmata
    Options

I'm going to be a mess by Friday. Today 7 rounds, 4 reps back squats at 115. Then 30 thrusters at 50..
    Yeah saw that. You're screwed. ;) Maybe you can get a little swim in tomorrow?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Also, wine.

MOAR WINE
  • PRMinx
    Options

Yeah saw that. You're screwed. ;) Maybe you can get a little swim in tomorrow?

If only I had access to a pool! I'll probably go for an easy hike. One of the best things about living here is all the nature and stuff :smile:
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the 30 day shred! I was in the same boat after day 2. I was cursing myself to buying a house with a flights of stairs, lol. Took me about 3 min to get up/down them holding the railing the entire time. IT GETS EASIER!!! Take a rest day and get right back to it, you will be surprised how much easier it gets.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Also, wine.

MOAR WINE

I work out for wine and peanut butter.

Not serious... (well maybe a little). :laugh:
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Wow that beginner work out sounds very tough! I have been going to a trainer for a month now, one thing I have learned is that form is key. I have also learned stretching is your very best friend after you have done your exercise. Warm up with a light cardio on the treadmill or bike or elliptical or weapon of choice! Then do your exercise routine, then take a good 10 minutes to stretch the parts you exercised. Do not do the same workout every day, switch it up. Do lower body, legs and butt, then do an upper body with focus on arms and shoulders, then do another upper body with back and abs focus. Try for a day between your workouts. on those days get moving by walking or cycling. I am older and out of shape too, but one month in I can honestly say I know I am fitter than I was. :flowerforyou: