Walking not good exercise

Options
I was told by a friend that my waling 5k a day is not good exercise that I should try an elliptical or some other type of cardio machine. Its not like I go for a stroll I am walking at a 3.8-4.0 pace outside up hills. Am I wrong to think my walking will get me to my goals?

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Many people here, myself included, will tell you that walking is a great exercise, and that it can help you to lose weight. You may burn more calories on an elliptical, but there is nothing wrong with walking.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Walking is a GREAT exercise!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walking can definitely be great exercise. You have good speed and you are taking hills....that's all good. An elliptical may be more efficient (more calories per minute)....but the key to consistency is something you enjoy doing. I would hate an elliptical.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    But it should not be your only exercise; you should be doing weights too.
  • sbox11
    sbox11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday anywhere between 2.5-5 miles. I started the elliptical this week only because I can go further, faster on my lunch break, and it also burns more calories than walking. Even still, I still walk at night. I find it to be a great exercise, plus you have the added bonus of clearing your mind!

Keep up the great success! Sometimes friends say things that might be discouraging without realizing it. Do what feels right to you and what you enjoy. The weight and inches will come off, though it might be at a bit of a slower pace. Walking 5k and enjoying it is better than doing an elliptical for 3k if you hate it. Chances are you won't be motivated to get on the elliptical if you don't like it.

Good luck on your goals!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You can make it to your goals without exercising at all, so don't listen to your friend. Walking is perfectly fine. Someone with more intense fitness related goals might not think it is "good enough" but you are you and they are they.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Walking can definitely be great exercise. You have good speed and you are taking hills....that's all good. An elliptical may be more efficient (more calories per minute)....but the key to consistency is something you enjoy doing. I would hate an elliptical.

+1
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for you. Slap the teeth out of anyone telling you differently.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. If you're looking to just lose weight, technically there's no need to exercise, just eat at a calorie deficit. If you're looking to improve cardiovascular and physical fitness, walking is fantastic. As mentioned, it's best to mix in some strength training, as well as different cardio for cross training but if walking suits you, that's cool.

I'm a big fan of walking too but I do try to do some sort of strength training at least once a week. I also mix it up by doing running intervals and/or incorporating big hills.

When people give me their opinions about stuff like this, I either smile and nod or challenge them with my own questions.

In this situation, I'd say something like "Huh... Well, I get a great workout from my walks - where did you hear that?"
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise for weight loss. It's easy to do, low-impact, low stress, and aids in creating the calorie deficit that is necessary drop body weight.

Ask yourself what you think might be easier to do... Let's say your maintenance calories are 2,000.

Option A: Diet Only. Eat 1500 calories every day, or less, and don't exercise. Net calorie deficit each day of -500. You'll be hungry, tired and irritable while losing weight. You also will lose muscle. You will not gain any muscle, and you will not be toned when you reach your goal weight. You'll also want to binge, which will kill your week. When you reach your goal weight you will not have developed any healthy exercise habits.

Option B: Eat 1900 calories a day, or slightly less, but burn 400 calories through walking. Net calorie deficit per day of -500. Same as before. You'll be fuller, because you are eating more food that your body needs to sustain itself. You're exercising, so you gain all the health benefits of moving your body more, and you develop healthy exercise habits that can transition beyond your goal weight. Your muscles won't atrophy as much because you're exercising. You'll be less irritable, less hungry and less prone to binges. Also, because you're making exercise a regular part of your daily life, this becomes something you can easily transition to after you've reached your goal weight. And because your calories, from 1900 to 2,000, would be easier to transition to maintenance when you reach your goals, without overeating.

So yes, you can technically lose weight without exercise. But it's proven to be a road to failure. So exercise. Walk. Lift weights. Do it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Walking ftw!

Great exercise, lots of fresh air, saying good day to all who pass your path.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, especially if you're elevating your heart rate. And I'm pretty sure you are with that kind of pace on hills.
  • rback1977
    rback1977 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If your walking at a slow snails pace then no. You need to get your heart pumping a bit. I would say 3.8 - 4.0 would do it unless you are in super good shape.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Am I wrong to think my walking will get me to my goals?

What are your goals?
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday and not even as much as you and I have lost weight so don't let anyone tell you any differently
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I fast walk everywhere! Walking is my main exercise and I love it! Get your heart rate going, get a bit of a sweat on and keepnwalking, don't listen to your friend!
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine, in fact the other day I skipped the gym and went shopping instead. I spent so much time walking around the stores downtown then I ended up burning more calories than I would have at the gym (I was wearing my calorie tracker thing so I know for a fact)
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Walking is a healthy form of exercise. At some point, your body may need to shake things up a bit to continue the weight loss. When that happens, add other forms of exercise into the mix.

But to say that "walking is not good exercise" is just plain rediculous.
  • SugarBabyGirl
    SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
    Options
    When I first started this I reduced my calories (not drastically -I wasn't counting, but I was paying attention) I walked for 1 hour every day. At least. And I lost 40lbs in 3 months. The day I added in going to the gym I stopped losing.

It's way easier to lose weight by counting calories than by exercising. It just depends on your goals though as to what is going to work for you. Good luck!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What are the goals that you're aiming for with the walking that you are doing??

What reason does your friend give for the cross trainer being better than walking!!!

Walking is great:)