Alcohol v. Food Calories?

Options
Are alcohol calories and food calories the same when it comes to weight loss since alcohol has no nutritional value?

For example, if you normally have 10 drinks per week at 100 calories a piece- that is an extra 1000 calories. If you didn't have any the next week and you ate the same, would you lose weight? Or would it make any difference?

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Are alcohol calories and food calories the same when it comes to weight loss since alcohol has no nutritional value?

For example, if you normally have 10 drinks per week at 100 calories a piece- that is an extra 1000 calories. If you didn't have any the next week and you ate the same, would you lose weight? Or would it make any difference?

Alcohol calories count the same as any other calories. They also have nutritional value (carbs, nutrients).
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories out - for weight loss
    Whether you drink or eat them it makes no difference.

You want to be healthy and minimize muscle loss, eat at a deficit, meet your macors/micros, do some form of resistance training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A calorie is simply a unit of energy...it has nothing to do with nutritional value. Being a unit of energy, it does not matter where they come from. You will lose weight if you are in an energy (calorie) deficit...whether you're drinking those calories or eating them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    The issue with alcohol is that it deters any use of any other energy source until it's metabolized since it can't be stored. One burns the most fat at rest, but if you're inebriated, fat DOESN'T get burned till alcohol is metabolized.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Calories in versus calories out is the key. Nutritionally though alcohol is not so great but there is nothing wrong with enjoying it. You just have to track those calories just like you do your food.

29509743.png
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    The issue with alcohol is that it deters any use of any other energy source until it's metabolized since it can't be stored. One burns the most fat at rest, but if you're inebriated, fat DOESN'T get burned till alcohol is metabolized.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    While alcohol is metabolized first, it will not matter in the overall energy balance over a period of time, and if you replace those 10 drinks with 1000 calories of something else, they end result will be the same.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This is hands down the biggest load of crap I've ever read on this forum. Are you serious!? You have all these credentials, yet you say people burn the most fat at rest? So you're saying that someone who pushes themselves as hard as they can running or swimming, they burn fewer calories from fat than when thy're sitting on their *kitten*?

Hah.

When at rest, one person may burn about 100 calories in total, per hour. Sure, 80% may be fat, but that's only 80 calories from fat.

When running at the aerobic threshold, one may only be burning about 20% of the calories from fat, but if you're burning 800 calories per hour, that's 160 calories from fat.

You're almost as bad as Dr. Oz.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

YUP yup yup. So no to OP question calories burn on alcohol day are less than with food use. One reason why before I was losing inches and not weight in a deficit. Alcohol.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Consider alcohol to be ~7 calories per 1 gr.

Also, while alcohol is in your system, your body will do everything it can to oxidize and get rid of it....views it as a sort of "poison".
    So any other oxidation for fat or carbs, takes a back seat.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Too much back and forth arguing here. So can I get *kitten* faced this weekend or not?:drinker:
  • MityMax96
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This is hands down the biggest load of crap I've ever read on this forum. Are you serious!? You have all these credentials, yet you say people burn the most fat at rest? So you're saying that someone who pushes themselves as hard as they can running or swimming, they burn fewer calories from fat than when thy're sitting on their *kitten*?

Hah.

When at rest, one person may burn about 100 calories in total, per hour. Sure, 80% may be fat, but that's only 80 calories from fat.

When running at the aerobic threshold, one may only be burning about 20% of the calories from fat, but if you're burning 800 calories per hour, that's 160 calories from fat.

I would have to look at studies....
    But your body will choose one form of energy over another during exercise.....
    depending on intensity it could burn mostly fat.....but if at another intensity....like swimming which is more demanding
    It will look for energy that can be quickly converted, and that is going to be carbs/glycogen...not fat.

And while you sleep at night, you do burn a lot of calories....providing you have decent Lean muscle
  • s9foster
    s9foster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Too much back and forth arguing here. So can I get *kitten* faced this weekend or not?:drinker:
    Yes you can, as long as you log it on MFP-enjoy!

*disclaimer- alcohol in large quantities can kill you.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:love: :love: :love: :drinker: :drinker:

Can I come??
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Can I come??

Karen-gif.gif
  • MityMax96
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Hah.

And also to go w/ the numbers you presented, you are burning more fat at rest.
    Cardio for 1 hour = 160 cal from fat.
    1 hour at rest = 80 cal from fat.
    2 hrs at rest = 160 cal from fat

8 hrs of sleep = 640 cal from fat.....
    So I dare say that not many ppl on here are gonna do 8 hrs of cardio.....or at least 5 hrs of cardio to equal the amt in 8 hrs of rest.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

Can I come??

Karen-gif.gif

I'll bring my FAVE!!!

66477.jpg
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Hah.

I would have to look at studies....
    But your body will choose one form of energy over another during exercise.....
    depending on intensity it could burn mostly fat.....but if at another intensity....like swimming which is more demanding
    It will look for energy that can be quickly converted, and that is going to be carbs/glycogen...not fat.

And while you sleep at night, you do burn a lot of calories....providing you have decent Lean muscle

I don't mean to hijack the thread but:

I agree your body chooses one form of energy over another as your level of output increases. At low-instensity exercise, say about 50% of your max output, you will burn about 60-70% of your energy from fat because your body doesn't need the energy so quickly. The carb/fat ratio moves to higher carb burn as your output increases, until you're going 100% (which you could only sustain for a few seconds), where 100% of your energy will come from glycogen stores, or 100% carbs/sugar. If you're doing something for a long period of time, say over 2 hours, you will even start toburn protein as your glycogen stores will be running low.

But to say that you will burn more calories from fat while at rest is foolish and anyone educated in sports nutrition knows this. That's saying that you burn more calories sitting around playing video games than it is running up a mountain. You do, however, burn a higher PERCENTAGE of calories from fat while at rest.

Also, having more muscle has a negigable effect on your daily calorie burn. 1 lb of muscle will add about 10 calories burned over the period of a day. It will not have a significant effect on your weight loss.

'Nuff said. Back to what the thread was about.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Hah.

Not a load of crap. 100% of energy burn at rest is fat. Science proves it.
    Glycogen is the first energy source burned for ANY physical activity. One would have to deplete it to very low levels before tapping fat.

As mentioned above, the average person isn't going to work out for 8 hours, but at rest fat calories burned in 8 hours would be WELL above the fat burned in a workout. Sorry.

IDEA Fitness member