stomach pouch won't budge!

Options

Replies

• christinelast
    Options
    I strongly suggest not trying to lose anymore weight. At this point, I think it would be wise to bulk to build some lean muscle mass, and then cut fat. If that's not an option you want to go with, just keep lifting, eat at maintenance, and your body composition will slowly improve. It just takes time.

No I don't want to bulk! I'll dislike the way i look even more!
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would consider whether you could be intolerant to certain foods. I never thought I was bloated - just had a tummy pouch like you ... then i cut out gluten/grains at the suggestion of my doctor, and in a week or less my pants fit differently and I didn't have a muffin top anymore, etc. It wasn't from weight loss, it was cutting out a certain food type that got rid of mine. A friend of mine has that issue w/ dairy - she doesn't get the typical diarrhea from lactose intolerance - she gets bloated and has a tummy pouch. Anyway, it's worth considering and maybe trying a few things!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No way! My goal when I first started was 30 pounds! I started off weighing 145

Oh dang, I am so relieved! I thought you were insane there for a second!

50488-whew-gif-5ub7.gif

Also, I can pretty much guarantee you won't dislike yourself after a bulk. If you do it right (nice and slow, that is) you will end up with a bangin bod. Trust me. Add more muscle, you'll thank me later. :flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I made a post about this earlier. Seems to be a common problem for women especially women who have had children. Guess one of those wonderful joys of motherhood.

It's a problem with those with high body fat and/or low lean body mass. Just because you have children, doesn't mean you can't have a well defined stomach. But there are some exception, just like in every case.

OP, how tall are you? That will determine which side of the spectrum you are on.

Well I'm not severely obese and only need to lose 30lbs and I can't get rid of mine. So yes I attribute mine to pregnancy and c sections.

If you need to lose 30 lbs, then your body fat % is too high. Genetics will determine where you store the body fat. Those that store it in the mid section will take longer to get there. I can bet though, if you are weight training and you get to a low body fat 16-24% ish body fat, then you will have a flat and probably defined stomach.

Keep in mind, it's about body composition, not weight. There are many cases of underweight women on this board with stomach issues. It's because their lean body mass is too low.

Totally this^^^ Body composition is VERY important. The reason why heavy lifting reverses fat accumulation is that it increases lean body mass and the more lean body mass you have, the more calories you will burn 24-7 (even while sleeping!) That is one reason why men have an easier time losing body fat--because they have a much higher percentage of lean body mass than most women. A 160 pound man and a 160 pound woman will typically have very different body compositions. Since every pound of fat takes many fewer calories to maintain than lean tissue, it tends to be the case that "the fatter you are, the fatter you will get". :grumble:

The reason why pregnancy and C-sections increase belly size is because both tend to increase body fat and decrease lean body mass. The high amounts of estrogen prompted by pregnancy promote fat deposition (nature wants to assure that the baby is properly nourished and uses estrogen to spur appetite during pregnancy and lactation). Any surgery will cause the loss of lean body mass because of the sedentary nature of the recovery period and there are hormonal reasons for it as well. Surgery prompts very high levels of cortisol (even if only for a short time) and the sleep deprivation that comes with new parenthood also spurs cortisol production. Cortisol causes the loss of skeletal muscle (arms and legs) and an increase of belly fat. Not fair, but there it is.
  • christinelast
    Options
    So how can I lower cortisol if that's possible?
  • christinelast
    Options
    And I don't wish to add more muscle, is that neccasary for a flat stomach?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    So how can I lower cortisol if that's possible?

It is possible but not easy as the circumstances of modern life--long commutes, loneliness, crime and the threat of crime, sleep-deprivation, the demands of trying to be a full-time parent and a full-time worker, etc. make us feel constantly stressed. And prolonged stress promotes chronically high levels of cortisol (which does a lot of bad things in the body not just plumping our mid-sections). Here's an ehow article on lowering cortisol naturally. http://www.ehow.com/how_4697731_lower-cortisol-levels.html Exercise is part of the equation. :smile: Good luck!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    And I don't wish to add more muscle, is that neccasary for a flat stomach?

Why wouldn't you want to add more muscle? If you are worried that it will make you "look bulky" I wouldn't worry about that. Look at some of the threads where the women have started a heavy lifting program--they do NOT look bulky--just slim and toned. The only way you could look "muscle-bound" as a women, is to take steroids (they are especially bad for women, but they are not good for men either).
  • christinelast
    Options
    Its personal prefernce. I just want a flat stomach that's it
  • PonkiPoodles
    Options
    Core work, lots and lots of core workouts. When I was doing martial arts, before I picked up all the weight I now have to lose, I had rock hard flat abs after a year of doing high intensity core workouts 6 hours a week. No, not a six pack or muscled abs, but hot model flat abs. That is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I've always had a little bulge no matter how thin I was. You have to tone the muscles right under that area, not necessarily build more muscle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You still have some wiggle room right now on the weight area. I would set a small deficit, lift heavy and do some HIIT for cardio. If you get new 105 or 100 (lower end of the acceptable weight spectrum) and still struggle with stomach issues, then you are going to have to consider what is more important to you. Gaining muscle, does not mean getting all big and bulky. What bulks up women is fat. Below is a great demonstration of that. Staci went from 120 to 140. You could easily work switch between bulk/cut until you were happy with your results. Keep in mind, to gain 20 lbs of mass or even 10 lbs, will not happen over night. At any point, you could switch tactics.

In the end, the reason most people accept the fact they won't have a flat stomach is because they aren't willing to put in the time and effort to achieve that goal. Now, I do understand that some have skin issues (especially when morbidly obese) but there are millions of success stories of women with kids (even 6 kids to include triplets) of having flat stomachs afterwards.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Your stomach pouch will be tough to lose quickly given what you've already said without incorporating some weight training. The benefit of weight training is that it increases the body's natural burn, and overall good tone is good for you.

While some of the posters here are all into physique building, that's not what they are necessarily suggesting for you. Bulking up from a muscular perspective is a hella lotta work. It's really a separate goal from just leaning out. I think too many women (some men) think Arnold S when anyone suggests weight training, as if they could get that freakish body by lifting a few weights. Your goal should be more lean mass to help your body burn more efficiently.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna be one of those ppl that no matter how hard I workout or restrict my calories this pouch of a stomach wouldn't budge! I have been strength training 3-4 times a week, cardio 3 days and I get enough protein and consume less calories than my maintence ( I eat 1420) I'm 115 pounds and even at this weight I've always had that bulge! I dream of having it a flat stomach and have been working my *kitten* off! Will I just stay like this no matter what?

Deficit calories NOT EQUAL abs. What is your macro on these calories (%p?, %c? %f). And when do you eat carbs? Do you do any training before your first meal?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think I'm gonna be one of those ppl that no matter how hard I workout or restrict my calories this pouch of a stomach wouldn't budge! I have been strength training 3-4 times a week, cardio 3 days and I get enough protein and consume less calories than my maintence ( I eat 1420) I'm 115 pounds and even at this weight I've always had that bulge! I dream of having it a flat stomach and have been working my *kitten* off! Will I just stay like this no matter what?

Deficit calories NOT EQUAL abs. What is your macro on these calories (%p?, %c? %f). And when do you eat carbs? Do you do any training before your first meal?

Just to point out, the last two questions have absolutely no correlation for getting abs.
  • christinelast
    Options

Just to point out, the last two questions have absolutely no correlation for getting abs.

thats what i was wondering also
  • christinelast
    Options
    You still have some wiggle room right now on the weight area. I would set a small deficit, lift heavy and do some HIIT for cardio. If you get new 105 or 100 (lower end of the acceptable weight spectrum) and still struggle with stomach issues, then you are going to have to consider what is more important to you. Gaining muscle, does not mean getting all big and bulky. What bulks up women is fat. Below is a great demonstration of that. Staci went from 120 to 140. You could easily work switch between bulk/cut until you were happy with your results. Keep in mind, to gain 20 lbs of mass or even 10 lbs, will not happen over night. At any point, you could switch tactics.

In the end, the reason most people accept the fact they won't have a flat stomach is because they aren't willing to put in the time and effort to achieve that goal. Now, I do understand that some have skin issues (especially when morbidly obese) but there are millions of success stories of women with kids (even 6 kids to include triplets) of having flat stomachs afterwards.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

thank you for the reassurance. i read that a lot of ppl say no matter what its genetics and they will always have a pudge, but i like that there are proof from others saying its possible
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for a diastasis recti? That can cause the "pouch" that won't budge as well. And if a diastasis recti is indeed what you have, then doing "core work" without a good physical therapist to guide you will likely make the pouch bigger/worse. It's easy enough to check. Google "tupler method."
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    The OP has deactivated her account. Interesting...